1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facelift Front Brake Disc Thickness

Dan_DJT Jul 11, 2019

1. Dan_DJT

Dan_DJT RS3 Saloon Team Floret Silver Audi RS3

Thought I would start a new topic to follow on from the topic below which strayed a little from the topic title.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=389045&share_fid=2376&share_type=t

Took a front wheel of today and measured the brake disc thickness, I had done this a few days before without taking the wheel off. Was worried about accuracy so took the wheel of this time to be sure.

Disc thickness was 32.5mm after 19500 miles. So that works out at 13000 miles per mm assuming 34mm original thickness, that means about 1300 miles until discs are at wear limit for my driving style.

Pads have about 6mm left. Was quite surprised at the disc wear, never worn out a set of discs before pads before. There still seems a decent amount of metal left so wonder why the wear limit is set at 32.4mm

A few pics below for reference. Tried to photo the small lip on edge of disc but only have camera on my phone. The lip on inside of the disc is slightly bigger than on the outside.

Now got to decide on another set of OEM or go for Reylands . I already have a set of Brembo HP2000 pads to go with the new discs.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Gnasher

Gnasher Active Member

It's the way with new cars that the disc wear is now much greater than it used to be in comparison to pad wear.

Part of the reason for this is greater service intervals - with the need for brakes (overall) needing to last longer, where previously the pads would take the majority of the wear, if the wear is spread evenly between the discs and pads, they can get approximately twice the life out of them.

Just a shame the discs are so expensive compared to pads. I'd rather check my brakes more often and have soft pads to save the discs.

Not an RS3 owner yet, but the rears on my Golf GTI Performance (basically, S3 brakes) are wearing slightly quicker than the fronts. Most have put this down to the car dabbing the rear brakes as part of the stability control.

4. Jimmgc51

Jimmgc51 Member

Mine have a much bigger lip than that, mine could likely do with being changed then.

Nothing was mentioned at the service mind

5. Dan_DJT

Dan_DJT RS3 Saloon Team Floret Silver Audi RS3

Update.

Bought some new Audi discs. The thickness when new is ~34mm. The blind holes are only present on the outside surface and they are 1.07mm deep. This makes me think they could well be a visual guide to disc wear.

34mm - 1.07 x 2 = 31.86mm assuming each side of the disc wears at the same rate (maybe a bit of a big assumption). So when the blind holes have disappeared then the disc is in need of replacement.

31.86mm is a fair bit lower than the stated 32.4mm min disc thickness. My view is that the stated wear limit is very conservative, maybe to ensure consistant performance, to avoid caliper piston extension or maybe just to boost Audi's pockets

Hope this info proves useful to someone.

A few pics below[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

simonali likes this.
  6. Gnasher

Gnasher Active Member

Could it be something to do with the difference between the thickness that the stealer will change the pads at against the actual minimum recommended thickness of the disc in use? I suppose it could wear quite a bit over the complete life of a set of pads - and we all know the dealers don't measure disc thickness, they just look at the pads.