Front Arches Started

spartacus68

Reaction score
I couldn't delay it any longer. The front arches on my 2001 B5 Avant quattro sport were bubbling, and since I've decided to keep the old girl I started work. One or two other spots treated too.

Front wheels off, plastic inner wheel liner stripped out, rotary 60 grit flap sand tool, wire brush attachment, then right through to 300 wet and dry. Rust treatment gel, degrease, then on with acid etch then zinc primer. Will never be factory finish, but have resigned myself to getting it done before winter. Top coat and lacquer goes on next week.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    622.2 KB · Views: 172
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    810.7 KB · Views: 155
My n/s wing was goint a little. Then by luck that was the side that got pranged by a neighbour so it all got sorted as part of the claim :)

Job done. Started using Audi's twin pack spray paint but you only get 150ml cans, and that's no use. Ordered paint from here. http://www.autopaintsbrighton.co.uk

Good size 400ml cans and spray nozzle pattern was excellent. Took 4-5 light coats of base colour with 20 minute flash off time. Left 24 hours then applied clear coat lacquer. Around 6 light coats and then a heavy coat. It's nowhere near showroom, but the rust is gone and should give protection this winter.

I'll polish it out in the new year once warmer weather arrives. A couple of coats of Collenite 476 will have to do until then.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 152
Mine have been done before, but need doing again, the bodyshop that did them when I had my bumper and bonnet painted didn't do a great job. Her X3 has gone in for some insurance work this morning, if they do a good job on that I'll ask them to price up repairing my wings.