Front ARB needs replacing?

.Ben.

Reaction score
Just taken my new-to-me S3 for a check-up at a garage.

On my drive home last night, I'd noticed a slight knocking noise from the front, present when I went over larger bumps.

The garage have just told me that my front ARB bushes are shot and that I'll need to replace my whole front ARB at a cost of over £400.

[Fitted ARB and Bushes = £350 / Full alignment = £90].

Is this right? Are there any alternatives or is it something a competent DIY spanner-wielder can do?

Surely just do the bushes and drop links. I doubt the arb is broken? They're probably having you on...

Fit the arb and bushes yourself and then just pay for the alignment. Its not a hard job just takes a bit of time dropping the subframe and so on. Save the money on the labour charge and spend a little on poly arb and steering rack bushes instead along with obviously a new arb.

I had front and rear Golf R32 ARB's fitted 5 years ago and that was 500 quid,brand new not used ARB's btw

Thanks guys.

It's not that they're suggesting the ARB is broken, just corroded at the contact points - apologies for not making that clear...

The mechanic intimated that he could replace the bushes (£90 fitted) BUT if the ARB isn't replaced, the bushes will be compromised again in <12mths.

@Jason: Just familiarising myself with this site -and this may be a silly question- but is there a 'How To' on replacing the ARB/ dropping the subframe?

Erm not sure. Dont think i`ve ever seen one myself? I`ve done it on my gf`s old Leon quite a while back but i just did it by getting under the car and just undoing whatever i thought needed to be unbolted lol.

Edit: There you go above lol

Voorhees: Legend. Love you long time.

Now all I need is a 'friendly' TPS contact... (anyone?) :whistle2:

Last edited: