Front and Rear Dash Cameras?

I

Ignition1

Hi All

Looking to get a front and rear dash camera - preferably from Amazon so I can use some vouchers I have for them.

Definitely want something that detects movement when the car is still - i.e. a Parking mode, perhaps one with a rotating camera so it can point in the direction of impact?

Asking for a lot there...

I've got a blackvue, pretty happy with it. Cost about £300.

Reactions: SW14NY'S and Ignition1
Thanks - I spotted this one - Amazon product

It has twin cameras which you can rotate as required which seems useful. I'll take a look at the two above as well. The opinions on quality seem divided...

Only issue I can really report on the blackvue is how hot it gets, have got back to the car a few times and it's been shouting to check the SD card. Reboot and it's ok. The newer models might be better.

Only issue I can really report on the blackvue is how hot it gets, have got back to the car a few times and it's been shouting to check the SD card. Reboot and it's ok. The newer models might be better.
Which model do you have of the blackview? I currently have a lukas but it has problems so have to return it.

Mine did that a lot, replaced the SD card, not had a problem since. I did have a 64gb card in there (not officially supported on my model), changed it for a 32GB Samsung EVO, works perfectly now.

I have the Blackvue DR550GW-2CH. I think there is now a 650 with support for 64gb cards, and better colouring.

Mine did that a lot, replaced the SD card, not had a problem since. I did have a 64gb card in there (not officially supported on my model), changed it for a 32GB Samsung EVO, works perfectly now.

I have the Blackvue DR550GW-2CH. I think there is now a 650 with support for 64gb cards, and better colouring.
Mine is a 16gb card, have tried a 2nd one and get the same issue. It's not very often so I can live with it.

Mine is a 16gb card, have tried a 2nd one and get the same issue. It's not very often so I can live with it.
Have you tried formatting the card occasionally? I've not done it since changing the card, but Blackvue recommend you do it weekly or so. You can do it on the device by holding the button down for a certain length of time I think.

Do you really need one front and back? Unless your a wannabe copper?!
The front facing have g impact sensors so your covered if the dinner lady slips her oil covered stilettos and crashes her corsa up your back end!

I'm new to dash cams myself but purchased a front facing last week..

It was Auto Express winner 2014 & 2015 and has an iPhone/iPad app that enables viewing to be switched real time...

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/camera...drivepro-200-dash-cam-black-10130787-pdt.html

It records in full HD 1080p and comes with a 16 gig card for around 75 mins recording. It loops unless you select the emergency record so you have evidence in beating some chavs in a race..
IMHO it's a bargain and only £86. It should be instantly refunded in insurance costs and piece of mind.
Only down side is it doesn't record if the ignition is off...
Depends what you want out of a camera really.
If you own an Aston Martin and are paranoid about driving/leaving it then go full out copper security otherwise get a camera fitted just for accidents. We all know some **** will put a crease in your bodywork at ASDA at some point and no camera will catch it... Chavs..

Last edited:
Do you really need one front and back? Unless your a wannabe copper?!
The front facing have g impact sensors so your covered if the dinner lady slips her oil covered stilettos and crashes her corsa up your back end!

I'm new to dash cams myself but purchased a front facing last week..

It was Auto Express winner 2014 & 2015 and has an iPhone/iPad app that enables viewing to be switched real time...

It records in full HD 1080p and comes with a 16 gig card for around 75 mins recording. It loops unless you select the emergency record so you have evidence in beating some chavs in a race..
IMHO it's a bargain and only £86. It should be instantly refunded in insurance costs and piece of mind.
Only down side is it doesn't record if the ignition is off...
Depends what you want out of a camera really.
If you own an Aston Martin and are paranoid about driving/leaving it then go full out copper security otherwise get a camera fitted just for accidents. We all know some **** will put a crease in your bodywork at ASDA at some point and no camera will catch it... Chavs..

I bought one of these Transcend DrivePro 200 cameras - really excellent quality. But so impressed was I that I bought a second as a rear camera and just plug it into the 12v socket in the boot. Works perfectly. Only thing is the suction thing won't adhere to the rear screen - maybe the heated elements break the seal - so I use the supplied adhesive mount.

Reactions: Tfsi gone
I have a Blackvuie 650GW-2ch & It's never caused a single issue.

great piece of kit IMO

I've got an E-Prance mini 0805, it cost me £110 with fitting to hide the wires.

A woman went into the back of me last week and the camera recorded the whole thing. It paid for itself right there, meant there could be no funny business from her!

Reactions: Snibo
Do you really need one front and back? Unless your a wannabe copper?!.

Given that one of the most common accidents is someone driving in to the back of you, I would say yes :) G sensors are mainly used to trigger the recording in parking mode on mine, you can't get the g values out and use them as evidence afterwards. Nor will you get the numberplate of anyone who drives into the back of you then drives off, or anyone who does that when you aren't there...

Another vote for the Blackvue DR650-2ch.
Pricey but worth it.
In my opinion you need to have a rear facing camera as well, other wise in some situations you will only get half the story so to speak.

Reactions: xpoweruk
Thanks all. @MA3RC - so do you have a front camera as well? Or two of those cameras?

I definitely would like a rear camera, however wiring this all up is putting me off a bit. How do the professionals do it? Does it plug into the 12V socket or is there a better way of wiring it up?

Are those with the 2 channel Blackvue cameras (DR550/DR650) seeing any problems with DAB reception these days or has that all been resolved?

I had the DR550 in my 8P when they first came out but it upset the FM reception (the updated AV cable didn't help much either). When I first got an 8V I installed two single channel Blackvues as front and rear but it completely killed the DAB reception (even with monster ferrites everywhere) so I had to abandon the rear one.

I'd really like to go back to a front and rear setup but not prepared to compromise the radio reception to do it.

Are those with the 2 channel Blackvue cameras (DR550/DR650) seeing any problems with DAB reception these days or has that all been resolved?

I had the DR550 in my 8P when they first came out but it upset the FM reception (the updated AV cable didn't help much either). When I first got an 8V I installed two single channel Blackvues as front and rear but it completely killed the DAB reception (even with monster ferrites everywhere) so I had to abandon the rear one.

I'd really like to go back to a front and rear setup but not prepared to compromise the radio reception to do it.

Sorry - just seen that this exact question was asked this morning in a dedicated thread!
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/dash-cam-question-blackview-dr650-2chn-owners.251783/

Thanks all. @MA3RC - so do you have a front camera as well? Or two of those cameras?

I definitely would like a rear camera, however wiring this all up is putting me off a bit. How do the professionals do it? Does it plug into the 12V socket or is there a better way of wiring it up?
Yeah I have two of the same camera, one up front, one out back. Someone bumped me last week and it caught the footage, would never be without them now

I bought one of these Transcend DrivePro 200 cameras - really excellent quality. But so impressed was I that I bought a second as a rear camera and just plug it into the 12v socket in the boot. Works perfectly. Only thing is the suction thing won't adhere to the rear screen - maybe the heated elements break the seal - so I use the supplied adhesive mount.

Tempted to get a second for the rear and as you say use the spare 12v in the boot. Very easy to hide the cabling and its definitely long enough. There's also an extra 20% of this weekend at Currys so it's only £68.80...

Reactions: glospete
Hi,
Just to let you know that a number of our insurance schemes do offer discounts for a wide range of in-car cameras.
Regards,
Dan.

To nudge this thread and to kick it back into action again...

I have just fitted the new 2016 Blackvue DR650GW-2CH Wifi/Over Cloud Dashcam with up to 128gb SD Support. Excellent cameras both front and rear with no known DAB issues.....
Image1461566941354433

www.supercarsofscotland.co.uk
Twitter: @supercarsofSCOT
Instagram: supercarsofscotland_uk

Reactions: illingworth22, Rob2k68 and pburv
Dashcams.

Ive got a couple in my cars, bought and installed as a result of a monumentally idiotic Bulgarian truck driver side swiping me and pinning me to the front of his truck at 50+mph. The result was a contested claim and my not getting my excess and NCD back for 2.5 years.

However, I've got to say that I'm not "that" comfortable with having big brother in my car. My righteous indignation at other road users being inconsiderate, self important, dangerous and breathtakingly stupid is without equal, so the ability to "catch" other people in the act of doing some of these things is very compelling and is I suspect a principle motivator for people buying these things.

But, I'm not naive enough to believe for even one minute that I'm a perfect example of law abiding motorist myself. I speed on occasion, I even succumb to the temptation of overtaking the dim witted and ignorant using the inside lanes every now and then and if you catch me on a bad day I'm not averse to rigorously defending my own roadspace when other people can't or won't decide what lane to be in.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a habitual and regular law breaker, but let's face it, when some mouth breather brings the traffic flow to a crawl because they're sticking like a limpet to the offside lane, It's often easier to simply check your mirrors and go round them. Problem is, it's illegal, and my dashcam (Sword of righteous revenge over the dumb, retarded, dangerous, and people I really don't like model number #1) is recording the event in HD technicolor for posterity. I'm not sure I like that idea, but I can be pretty sure the police road traffic units are loving the fact that a growing number of RTC's they attend have a non encrypted cache of HD footage of the event just ripe for showing the jury.

Am I just being unreasonably paranoid?

Reactions: richinsoton, Daveotto, Rob2k68 and 1 other person
Dashcams.

Ive got a couple in my cars, bought and installed as a result of a monumentally idiotic Bulgarian truck driver side swiping me and pinning me to the front of his truck at 50+mph. The result was a contested claim and my not getting my excess and NCD back for 2.5 years.

However, I've got to say that I'm not "that" comfortable with having big brother in my car. My righteous indignation at other road users being inconsiderate, self important, dangerous and breathtakingly stupid is without equal, so the ability to "catch" other people in the act of doing some of these things is very compelling and is I suspect a principle motivator for people buying these things.

But, I'm not naive enough to believe for even one minute that I'm a perfect example of law abiding motorist myself. I speed on occasion, I even succumb to the temptation of overtaking the dim witted and ignorant using the inside lanes every now and then and if you catch me on a bad day I'm not averse to rigorously defending my own roadspace when other people can't or won't decide what lane to be in.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a habitual and regular law breaker, but let's face it, when some mouth breather brings the traffic flow to a crawl because they're sticking like a limpet to the offside lane, It's often easier to simply check your mirrors and go round them. Problem is, it's illegal, and my dashcam (Sword of righteous revenge over the dumb, retarded, dangerous, and people I really don't like model number #1) is recording the event in HD technicolor for posterity. I'm not sure I like that idea, but I can be pretty sure the police road traffic units are loving the fact that a growing number of RTC's they attend have a non encrypted cache of HD footage of the event just ripe for showing the jury.

Am I just being unreasonably paranoid?

Well said! I haven't got a cam but personally:

- I'd delete data from the dash cam and remove any trace of it (as much as possible) for trips where nothing happened. I'd rather my driving history not be available for use, by anyone.

- If I remember I'd probably switch off my dash cams when doing something illegal - i.e. speeding, or undertaking (for the same reasons you eloquently described above) etc. I'd definitely switch them off if I'm in a rush going somewhere.

I don't know if there is a law that says you must turnover your footage in the event of an accident immediately. Though I'm sure the Police/Courts can force you to hand it over as evidence though.

However, in my opinion, the peace of mind of having a dash cam outweighs the risk of the footage leading to your own downfall :)

Reactions: Rob2k68
I've got a Blackvue 650 2-Ch waiting to be fitted. Couple of incidents in the S3 and A1 before that have made me realise a rear facing camera is just as important as a front facing one.

I'm not really wanting to fit it myself though as I want it done properly, so I'm just trying to find a decent, reasonably priced fitter in the midlands.

However, in my opinion, the peace of mind of having a dash cam outweighs the risk of the footage leading to your own downfall :)

The problem is, in 20 odd years of driving I think a dashcam in any of my cars would have recorded only a couple of events really worth capturing. One of them was my fault, and footage of the incident wouldn't have helped my cause. The other was the Bulgarian truck, and being Bulgarian, it's doubtful the process would have moved any faster with video evidence. I'm starting to doubt whether the investment in dashcams has been worthwhile.

Compared to its limited usefulness in the couple of events it might have been of use, it would have caught me flexing a few of the Highway Codes many rules more times than I would care to admit. The hit rate is therefore overwhelmingly against me. Perhaps then I'm in a minority of road users breaking rules with impunity and driving like I own the roads? Apparently not. By any normal society measure, I'm actually considered a "good" driver (no points in last fifteen years, full no claims on two different cars, no "at fault" claims, I indicate, use my mirrors, can parallel park and don't drive everywhere like an utter tool).

So, If a normal driver who's old enough to know better and had traded most of the testosterone fuelled incompetence of his youth with common sense and a quarter million miles worth of experience can infringe upon strict legality this often, then some of the camera equipped talentless halfwits I've seen careering up the hard shoulders, weaving around traffic, and having 10 or 20 near hits per mile must actually be doing the Police and CPS' work for them.

I wonder how many people have been convicted using evidence from their own cameras?

Reactions: traindweller and DrEskimo

Where exactly is the 12v socket in the boot? I noticed one on the rear seats on my 3 door s line but not sure if is got one on the boot? anyone could confirm that?

Many thanks

The problem is, in 20 odd years of driving I think a dashcam in any of my cars would have recorded only a couple of events really worth capturing. One of them was my fault, and footage of the incident wouldn't have helped my cause. The other was the Bulgarian truck, and being Bulgarian, it's doubtful the process would have moved any faster with video evidence. I'm starting to doubt whether the investment in dashcams has been worthwhile.

Compared to its limited usefulness in the couple of events it might have been of use, it would have caught me flexing a few of the Highway Codes many rules more times than I would care to admit. The hit rate is therefore overwhelmingly against me. Perhaps then I'm in a minority of road users breaking rules with impunity and driving like I own the roads? Apparently not. By any normal society measure, I'm actually considered a "good" driver (no points in last fifteen years, full no claims on two different cars, no "at fault" claims, I indicate, use my mirrors, can parallel park and don't drive everywhere like an utter tool).

So, If a normal driver who's old enough to know better and had traded most of the testosterone fuelled incompetence of his youth with common sense and a quarter million miles worth of experience can infringe upon strict legality this often, then some of the camera equipped talentless halfwits I've seen careering up the hard shoulders, weaving around traffic, and having 10 or 20 near hits per mile must actually be doing the Police and CPS' work for them.

I wonder how many people have been convicted using evidence from their own cameras?

For me I treat it like life insurance. Its something I pay for, but hope I will never actually need....

As for its usefulness, I was behind a poor lady who got side swiped by a foreign truck much like yourself on a roundabout. Footage from my cam was crystal clear and I pulled over and offered to be a witness for her. Submitted the video as evidence and believe it was a pretty open and shut case for her. If someone did the same to me, I would be pretty thankful :)

As for some talentless halfwit getting caught by his own camera for driving like a plonker...good! I know I don't do anything nearly dangerous enough to warrant any serious claims and needs for camera footage against me so its worth it for me...

Reactions: GSB and SW14NY'S
Where exactly is the 12v socket in the boot? I noticed one on the rear seats on my 3 door s line but not sure if is got one on the boot? anyone could confirm that?

Many thanks

In the cubby hole on the left hand side of the boot compartment, its on the floor of the compartment and covered by a plug so soon as you put a cloth or bottle of quick detailer in there you cant find it

I treat mine like GAP insurance and hope I dont need it. but is small outlay for some extra piece of mind, I did not pay a lot for my dashcam (£30) but is good enough to use in evidence situations to prove you were stationary when hit form the back or side, or someone has lane hopped with no indication etc. Also make sure my cam is a least partially visible as its another anti theft deterrent, don't hold with the trying to make it invisible thing.

With regard being caught by your own camera......well I am sure police would need a warrant or its pretty easy to pop out the micro SD card and looseit. I also only have 16GB card so is overwritten in about 3 hours of driving

As for grassing others..doubt I ever would ever do this, and would never post on here or youtube, that said i have a couple of clips i have saved for my own personal enjoyment..:)

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Simon L
I treat mine like GAP insurance and hope I dont need it. but is small outlay for some extra piece of mind, I did not pay a lot for my dashcam (£30) but is good enough to use in evidence situations to prove you were stationary when hit form the back or side, or someone has lane hopped with no indication etc. Also make sure my cam is a least partially visible as its another anti theft deterrent, don't hold with the trying to make it invisible thing.

With regard being caught by your own camera......well I am sure police would need a warrant or its pretty easy to pop out the micro SD card and looseit. I also only have 16GB card so is overwritten in about 3 hours of driving

As for grassing others..doubt I ever would ever do this, and would never post on here or youtube, that said i have a couple of clips i have saved for my own personal enjoyment..:)

I can't say I'm really sold on the dedicated dashcams but having said that I was thinking of picking up a relatively cheap action cam to take on holiday so I can capture myself doing star-jumps in me mankini!! lol. Some are meant to do a reasonable second job as dashcam. Has anyone else picked up a cheapo 'hero alternative' and used it in the car?

I'm still looking but the one that's grabbed my eye so far is the Phonect ele explorer at around 60 squiderroes................

I've got a Blackvue 650 2-Ch waiting to be fitted. Couple of incidents in the S3 and A1 before that have made me realise a rear facing camera is just as important as a front facing one.

I'm not really wanting to fit it myself though as I want it done properly, so I'm just trying to find a decent, reasonably priced fitter in the midlands.
It's easy if you have the right tools

Works a treat and the Cloud function is fan dab I get push notifications everytime someone goes near my car and I can either watch the recorded footage or have a live view whilst I'm nowhere near the car ....not even in the same town

It's easy if you have the right tools

Works a treat and the Cloud function is fan dab I get push notifications everytime someone goes near my car and I can either watch the recorded footage or have a live view whilst I'm nowhere near the car ....not even in the same town

Great, so you can watch someone steal your car whilst you are on holiday rather than it being a total surprise when you get back :)

Reactions: richinsoton, SW14NY'S and Simon L
I can't say I'm really sold on the dedicated dashcams but having said that I was thinking of picking up a relatively cheap action cam to take on holiday so I can capture myself doing star-jumps in me mankini!! lol. Some are meant to do a reasonable second job as dashcam. Has anyone else picked up a cheapo 'hero alternative' and used it in the car?

I'm still looking but the one that's grabbed my eye so far is the Phonect ele explorer at around 60 squiderroes................
@Simon L mine was only £30 (normal price £44) from Amazon and sure you could still use it for filming star jumps from strange angles...lol

Reactions: Simon L and SW14NY'S
@Simon L mine was only £30 (normal price £44) from Amazon and sure you could still use it for filming star jumps from strange angles...lol

Thanks Dave lol

.....just for the record the star jumps was a joke, far too old for anything that energetic!!

Reactions: Rob2k68, Daveotto and SW14NY'S
Great, so you can watch someone steal your car whilst you are on holiday rather than it being a total surprise when you get back :)
It also allows you to talk to them via the mic....so you can request that if they are stealing it.....then steal it!!....not leave it a repairable wreck !!!!...lol

Reactions: richinsoton, Rob2k68, Daveotto and 1 other person