Facelift From S3 to RS3

jimdonovan01

Reaction score
Picked my RS up a couple of weeks ago (changed from an S3) and I absolutely LOVE it! Was told by the dealer it doesn’t need running in however for my own piece of mind I am. Only on 500 mile at the min but...

When would you recommend I give it full beans!?

When would you recommend a first oil change (changed oil myself in the S every 5K) and how often to change myself.

When would you recommend I did my first launch!

Also, the car is PCP Unlike the S3 I had that was finance so I had that re mapped. I’ve had lots of mixed comments on tuning the RS, obviously it’s a NEW car so if anything was to happen then warranty comes in. I’ve already read that some 19 cars are having problems with coolant leaks AGAIN! Why is this not fixed! Anyway I’m 50/50 wether to tune or not, I guess thats a risk to take. If I did I would have to sell the car instead of handing it back wouldn’t i ????

ceb3e4e54b3180d2588cd17bbf445c35.plist

PFA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Terminator x and Riko0073
Picked my RS up a couple of weeks ago (changed from an S3) and I absolutely LOVE it! Was told by the dealer it doesn’t need running in however for my own piece of mind I am. Only on 500 mile at the min but...

When would you recommend a first oil change (changed oil myself in the S every 5K) and how often to change myself.

Also, the car is PCP Unlike the S3 I had that was finance so I had that re mapped. I’ve had lots of mixed comments on tuning the RS, obviously it’s a NEW car so if anything was to happen then warranty comes in. I’ve already read that some 19 cars are having problems with coolant leaks AGAIN! Why is this not fixed! Anyway I’m 50/50 wether to tune or not, I guess thats a risk to take. If I did I would have to sell the car instead of handing it back wouldn’t i ????

PFA

Why do you want to tune/remap so early?
Enjoy your new RS3 for what it is, one amazing piece of engineering.

Personally 400bhp & 4WD is plenty for me, not many motors on the road that can touch it for power, speed and be a daily driver as well.

You are correct on the coolant issue, just had mine replaced last week and daughters RS3 has also sprung a leak and been replaced, can see a re-call coming from Audi.

PFA

Very nice, identical to mine that I picked up new a couple of months back.

I always run in the 1st 1,000 miles, some say you don’t need to but for my own piece of mind I always have done, 1st 509 miles I don’t go over 3,000rpm, 500-750 increase to 4,000rpm then 750-1000 increase to 5,000rpm after that I’ll start taking it round to the red line occasionally.

did my first launch the other day with 3,000 miles.

Cars running well, still very ‘tight’ but loosening up and very quick!

I had an S3 then S4 before moving to the RS3, certainly feels quicker and more planted than the S3, had a tuning box on the S4 so that shifted well but the RS3 just pulls so hard and handles way better, interested to hear how it compares to your experience in the S3.

Enjoy the new motor mate.

Tuning your car while under a pcp contract invalidates your warranty and if Audi found out could land you in a load of unwanted hassle.

Reactions: wab172uk and sve170
The main thing is don't sit in one gear too long, wait until it's properly warmed up before giving it any sort of stick.

It doesn't hurt these engines to take some revs early in their life, but be aware of mechanical sympathy.

Nanny it too much can be as bad.

These engines can use oil, plenty of reports of owners of 3's and TTRS having to top up between changes.

Oil change is very easy, i do mine every 5K, worth it to keep things tip top.

Reactions: AudiNutta

PFA

Looks lovely. Needs some nice EU plates

Looks lovely. Needs some nice EU plates

EU plates, never we will be out soon and good riddance to them

Reactions: txosbi and D0C
The main thing is don't sit in one gear too long, wait until it's properly warmed up before giving it any sort of stick.

It doesn't hurt these engines to take some revs early in their life, but be aware of mechanical sympathy.

Nanny it too much can be as bad.

These engines can use oil, plenty of reports of owners of 3's and TTRS having to top up between changes.

Oil change is very easy, i do mine every 5K, worth it to keep things tip top.

Curious to learn why you say don’t stay in one gear for too long?

I’m also on 5k changes, well worth it for the small cost and peace of mind.

Curious to learn why you say don’t stay in one gear for too long?

I’m also on 5k changes, well worth it for the small cost and peace of mind.

Not interested in engaging with you after recent events.

Thanks lads, started to open it up now I’ve nearly hit 1k.. Stock P zero tyres are crap though! Twitchy in the wet.. will be swapping for PS4s soon as I can.

When I come to change my oil myself I’m i right in thinking I’ll need something to drain the oil filter housing?

Reactions: jimojameso
When I come to change my oil myself I’m i right in thinking I’ll need something to drain the oil filter housing?

There is a special tool to drain the housing before you remove it, its not essential but saves making a mess.

Thanks lads, started to open it up now I’ve nearly hit 1k.. Stock P zero tyres are **** though! Twitchy in the wet.. will be swapping for PS4s soon as I can.

Indeed you do

Laser / draper do one if you look on amazon.

It screws in the plastic housing and allows you to drain off any excess oil in there.

A point of reference for you, when you disconnect it, make sure the nipple it pushes up to drain the excess oil off is pulled back out and is level with the casing around it, if not it’ll leak for a little while until oil pressure pushes it back out.

Saves you going into a panic when you see a little oil drop on the undertray.

View attachment 193451

Reactions: teslaboy
Indeed you do

Laser / draper do one if you look on amazon.

It screws in the plastic housing and allows you to drain off any excess oil in there.

A point of reference for you, when you disconnect it, make sure the nipple it pushes up to drain the excess oil off is pulled back out and is level with the casing around it, if not it’ll leak for a little while until oil pressure pushes it back out.

Saves you going into a panic when you see a little oil drop on the undertray.

View attachment 193451

Cheers mate, I’ll keep that in mind!

No problems here.

:pileofpoop::pileofpoop:✊

Thanks lads, started to open it up now I’ve nearly hit 1k.. Stock P zero tyres are **** though! Twitchy in the wet.. will be swapping for PS4s soon as I can.

I found this with mine too... hated the stock Pirelli's in the wet!

You'll love the PS4S, it made a huge difference in the wet for me.

Reactions: FBF01
:pileofpoop::pileofpoop:

I found this with mine too... hated the stock Pirelli's in the wet!

You'll love the PS4S, it made a huge difference in the wet for me.

Had PS4 on my S3, banging tyres in all weather, had no bother of of smashing it in corners in the wet... these P zero though are quite the opposite!

I’ve got the staggered set up on the RS. 255 front 235 rear, I’ve read mixed reviews when it come the PS4s on this set up. What are you running ?

What's your boggle ??

No "boggle" my good friend. ✊

Had PS4 on my S3, banging tyres in all weather, had no bother of of smashing it in corners in the wet... these P zero though are quite the opposite!

I’ve got the staggered set up on the RS. 255 front 235 rear, I’ve read mixed reviews when it come the PS4s on this set up. What are you running ?

They really are cracking tyres; thankfully came stock on my current car which I was really pleased about. I found the Pirelli's to be just as good as the PS4's in the dry, but like you said in the wet they're pretty shocking.

I don't have my RS3 now, but I had the square setup and they were absolutely fine. Had a few teething issues and took 100 miles or so for the TC to stop flickering but after that I never saw the light again. I've heard the staggered setup can have issues running them though so your mileage may vary.

No "boggle" my good friend.

They really are cracking tyres; thankfully came stock on my current car which I was really pleased about. I found the Pirelli's to be just as good as the PS4's in the dry, but like you said in the wet they're pretty shocking.

I don't have my RS3 now, but I had the square setup and they were absolutely fine. Had a few teething issues and took 100 miles or so for the TC to stop flickering but after that I never saw the light again. I've heard the staggered setup can have issues running them though so your mileage may vary.

Ahh What what are you driving now ??

I read a few posts saying the TC problems on staggered set up disappeared after good mileage on the tyres, also read a post from someone who ‘knows’ someone from Michelin, raised the issue with them and they knew about it or something like that (don’t fully quote me on that, it’s blurred memory haha) and also seen posts say no problems at all so it’s hard to judge!

Ahh What what are you driving now ??

I read a few posts saying the TC problems on staggered set up disappeared after good mileage on the tyres, also read a post from someone who ‘knows’ someone from Michelin, raised the issue with them and they knew about it or something like that (don’t fully quote me on that, it’s blurred memory haha) and also seen posts say no problems at all so it’s hard to judge!

Gotta brace for cover saying it in petrolhead forums... Tesla Model 3 Performance. They released another performance increase update yesterday so it's around ~500 HP now. Knocks your socks off! Good mix of sensible daily and fun (minus the 5 cylinder soundtrack)

You'll most likely have flashing TC on acceleration and 'crabbing' of the car for the first 100 miles like me, but it will go away for good after a long drive in my experience. Teething issues of the PS4's are worth it imo.

Reactions: FBF01
Gotta brace for cover saying it in petrolhead forums... Tesla Model 3 Performance. They released another performance increase update yesterday so it's around ~500 HP now. Knocks your socks off! Good mix of sensible daily and fun (minus the 5 cylinder soundtrack)

You'll most likely have flashing TC on acceleration and 'crabbing' of the car for the first 100 miles like me, but it will go away for good after a long drive in my experience. Teething issues of the PS4's are worth it imo.

Nice! Tbh it’s crossed my mind to move over to Tesla when I’m due for my next car change (4 years give or take) I love the model X, I’d miss the sound of a a 5 cyl but them falcon wing doors might just win me over. Plus it’s a fast family car

Nice! Tbh it’s crossed my mind to move over to Tesla when I’m due for my next car change (4 years give or take) I love the model X, I’d miss the sound of a a 5 cyl but them falcon wing doors might just win me over. Plus it’s a fast family car

Isn't it well over £100k though?

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Isn't it well over £100k though?

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

At least an eye watering 92k I think, might have to rain check that one

Reactions: Terminator x

You could almost get two RS3’s for the price of a Tesla

Reactions: 8YARWY and DW81

Model Y Performance sounds like it could be up your street when it's out in the UK. It's basically what the Model 3 is to the Model S. Same size as the Model X but far newer underlying tech and a slightly less eye-watering pricetag at around half the price and will still be less than 3.2 seconds 0-60 once released.

https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/modely

Sorry, don't mean to derail this thread! :)

Last edited:
Model Y Performance sounds like it could be up your street when it's out in the UK. It's basically what the Model 3 is to the Model S. Same size as the Model X but far newer underlying tech and a slightly less eye-watering pricetag at around half the price and will still be less than 3.2 seconds 0-60 once released.

https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/modely

Sorry, don't mean to derail this thread! :)

Model Y, that is one ugly looking motor.

Reactions: Terminator x and 8YARWY
Is any Tesla easy on the eyes :tearsofjoy:

Agreed

Ghastly looking cars.

How anyone could like one over an Audi is bonkers.

Reactions: Terminator x, Dan_DJT, jebusRS and 1 other person
Is any Tesla easy on the eyes :tearsofjoy:

Not the most sporty looking cars, I'll admit...

Fingers crossed they knock it out of the park with the wide body, big spoiler and triple motor P100D+ Plaid currently in prototype testing.

https://insideevs.com/reviews/372819/tesla-model-s-plaid-powertrain-specs-examined/

Agreed

Ghastly looking cars.

How anyone could like one over an Audi is bonkers.

Good attempt at bait there, my good friend. ✊:pileofpoop:

Folks. This is the first and final warning. Get your acts together and let's start behaving as grown ups!

Reactions: Drewsus, Callump01, Bristle Hound and 1 other person
Gen?

Drop me a PM when some of you have come to your senses and we'll then decide what to do with this thread. For now, it is locked for any further comments.

Think, before you post!

Reactions: Bristle Hound