From Golf R to facelift S3

mojo555

Reaction score
Just a few of my thoughts, I had the golf r for two years on a super cheap lease deal, I always said when I had the car it was as nice inside as an Audi, it wasn't! I've had a fair few S3's and A4's in the past, but the new S3 has by far the best interior of any car I have owned. I also thought the R was the best handling car I've had and didn't quite know what to expect with the new S3, I hadn't driven one when ordered as the facelift wasn't out and didn't see the point if driving the pre facelift. I can say that I'm very surprised with how low I feel in comparison to the R and how much more noise I'm getting from the engine and exhaust, as said by other people lots of pops and bangs (both DSG) I'm yet to really push the S3, but I'm sure when I do it will be as planted as the R, now I'm no journalist, but do consider to of had plenty of quickish cars over the years so fairly well placed to say what I have. The new 7 speed DSG seems to be better when on motorway as I always thought the R needed a 7th gear as it seemed to drone when on long runs. I feel the s tropic change isn't as responsive as the DSG, e.g sometimes I pull for second and it doesn't give it me straight away, the R was instant, I have read before that people's general thoughts are the DSG is the best unit on the market, time will tell I guess..
I'm looking forward to getting some more miles on it so it loosens up and gets a little louder, to sum it up I'm very happy with my choice and look forward to my two years of ownership.

Hope this helps anyone looking at going from an R to a S3

Reactions: LANES3, glasgowdubber, Flying Scotsman and 3 others
Nice collection of motors you have had over the years

Congrats on your new Ibis Facelift S3

Got any pics ?

Reactions: mojo555
Put it in dynamic and changes will be lightning quick.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: mojo555 and Scottyg
To be fair the Stronic is pretty good. Room for improvement though.
I actually had a brief drive in a ford edge earlier this year and that particular powershift gearbox was always in the right gear. Not setup for sporty driving Mind.

I'm in the same boat, just sold my Mk7 R and waiting for my FL S3. Great to get the above feedback, sounds like it will be worth the wait!

R owner here looking to make the move to a black edition for March, so likewise, good to hear!!!

Couldn't agree more about needing a 7th gear at notorway speeds! Should make it a lot quieter and some decent mpg also.

Reactions: Koomerang, mojo555 and BarryG79
Will sort some point vs out at the weekend it's too much effort uploading them to photobucket etc.. May do on tapatalk or whatever it is. Drone on motorway was probably only thing I would moan about really, then again don't suppose it was bad enough to spoil the whole experience.
Definitely worth the swap if not just for the interior! I do feel things like park sensors and folding mirrors should be standard Though!
Really enjoying the car so far...

Reactions: Audi Bairn and FBF01
Will sort some point vs out at the weekend it's too much effort uploading them to photobucket etc.. May do on tapatalk or whatever it is. Drone on motorway was probably only thing I would moan about really, then again don't suppose it was bad enough to spoil the whole experience.
Definitely worth the swap if not just for the interior! I do feel things like park sensors and folding mirrors should be standard Though!
Really enjoying the car so far...

That's the problem with the Audi, so many options I feel I need to spec. Hill hold. Folding mirrors. Those super sport seats! Reversing sensors. 19" alloys (not a fan of standard wheels). Pano roof, have it on the R and wouldn't be without it again. Black edition as looks the dogs. Before I know it, cars at 40k!

Keen to see photos of the motor though. What colour did you go for? And amazed that you think it feels considerably faster. But that extra 10 or so bhp and closer to the ground as you say, will make a difference.

Get the vcds tweaks and open the exhaust valves!!!!!

Reactions: Audi Bairn
That's the problem with the Audi, so many options I feel I need to spec. Hill hold. Folding mirrors. Those super sport seats! Reversing sensors. 19" alloys (not a fan of standard wheels). Pano roof, have it on the R and wouldn't be without it again. Black edition as looks the dogs. Before I know it, cars at 40k!

Keen to see photos of the motor though. What colour did you go for? And amazed that you think it feels considerably faster. But that extra 10 or so bhp and closer to the ground as you say, will make a difference.

Get the vcds tweaks and open the exhaust valves!!!!!
It has 10bhp more and 25ftlbs of torque I think, that would make a difference.. I've already fitted a scorpion resonated cat back! Looks awesome!!

Reactions: Audi Bairn and FBF01
It has 10bhp more and 25ftlbs of torque I think, that would make a difference.. I've already fitted a scorpion resonated cat back! Looks awesome!!

Nice! Remap to follow shortly I bet? I was going to fit a non res non valved system to the R, but no point now seeing as I want shot of it. Sounds like I hate it ha. Great car, just so much town driving and it's a ******. But yeh, bet it looks the dogs ******** and sounds it too!!!! Really love the black tips. Saw an s3 with it a few weeks ago, looks epic.

Look epic imo..
IMG 0168

Reactions: illingworth22, Fiddie, mojo555 and 3 others
Just a few of my thoughts, I had the golf r for two years on a super cheap lease deal, I always said when I had the car it was as nice inside as an Audi, it wasn't! I've had a fair few S3's and A4's in the past, but the new S3 has by far the best interior of any car I have owned. I also thought the R was the best handling car I've had and didn't quite know what to expect with the new S3, I hadn't driven one when ordered as the facelift wasn't out and didn't see the point if driving the pre facelift. I can say that I'm very surprised with how low I feel in comparison to the R and how much more noise I'm getting from the engine and exhaust, as said by other people lots of pops and bangs (both DSG) I'm yet to really push the S3, but I'm sure when I do it will be as planted as the R, now I'm no journalist, but do consider to of had plenty of quickish cars over the years so fairly well placed to say what I have. The new 7 speed DSG seems to be better when on motorway as I always thought the R needed a 7th gear as it seemed to drone when on long runs. I feel the s tropic change isn't as responsive as the DSG, e.g sometimes I pull for second and it doesn't give it me straight away, the R was instant, I have read before that people's general thoughts are the DSG is the best unit on the market, time will tell I guess..
I'm looking forward to getting some more miles on it so it loosens up and gets a little louder, to sum it up I'm very happy with my choice and look forward to my two years of ownership.

Hope this helps anyone looking at going from an R to a S3
Is the car as much of a bouncy castle as the predecessor (8V prefacelift) or have they finally sorted it?

Haven't driven the Golf R, but I am glad I never bought one. Everyone and their wife owns one around my area.

Got any videos of the cat back exhaust?

The Scorpion is the Dogs in my opinion! I had it fitted to my TTS. Mind if I ask how much? You can PM me the price if you would prefer!
It's a non valved resonated cat back, around £800 iirc. It sounds good! A little louder than standard, I personally think it's just right, but it does drone a little cruising light throttle at low rpms, however it seems to be less and less noticeable each day, but crusing at 70/80 on the motorway silent!

If I had the chance again I would go non res valved, albeit twice the price!