Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS) For A4/S4 (B9 Chassis)

Bristle Hound

Staff member
Reaction score
As the title says

To start things off -
A4 B9 Online User Manual

https://jumpshare.com/v/7v5A0At6THJTVVpi9YJU#

and download the linked .zip file. You end up with a folder with an index.htm file. Click on that and you then get the entire A4 user manual as it appears on MMI; and it works seamlessly.
( Thanks to @mistac )

Good thread and thanks, now we just need you know who to put it all together...

Reactions: Bristle Hound
I have a PDF of the whole thing (made it myself from the online version). I assume that wouldn't be legal to share though?

For those who have just placed an order.

1. Go to https://www.audi.co.uk/youraudi/youraudi-login.html

2. Create an account

3. Badger your dealer for an order number

4. Once you have an order number, track your order

5. Get under the hood of what Your Audi is actually displaying by;

6. Logging in to Your Audi

7. In a separate window, go to https://www.audi.co.uk/myaudi-public-api/services/v1/orders

8. Select all of the resultant text and copy and paste it into the window that appears when you go to http://pro.jsonlint.com/

9. Click the 'Tick' box on the right hand side and you will see the Order code in a readable fashion.

Order Status 00 - Welcome

Order Status 10 - Order Received

Order Status 20 - Preparation

Order Status 21 - Panel Shop

Order Status 22 - Paint Shop

Order Status 23 - Assembly

Order Status 24 - Quality Control

Order Status 30 - 'Your Audi has left Ingolstadt'

Order Status 38 - 'Your Audi is at Emdem'

Order Status 39 - 'Your Audi is in the UK'

Order Status 40 - Ready for transport to the dealer (Website displays "Your new Audi is on its way to <DEALER>")

Order Status 60 - Left the UK Port on the way to the dealer (Website displays "Your new Audi is on its way to <DEALER>")

Order Status 70 - Arrived at dealer - Call to make your collection plans

Reactions: Toadoftoadhall, RichardMMM, akk_0091 and 2 others
Nice post @BeagleKCH

It is worth mentioning that the myAudi portal doesnt show all the car options correctly - dont worry you can check what options have been ordred, they are listed towards the bottom of the xml from step 7 but you will need to look the codes up in the A4 Brochure

Reactions: BeagleKCH
If you check new car order thread, there is the full comprehensive order, delivery process and codes glossary and shipping info.

Just notice sound quality coming from android play is way better than bluetooth!!

Just notice sound quality coming from android play is way better than bluetooth!!

Is that with the USB cable? I always found the audio quality better over cable, as Bluetooth is quite lossy depending on the codec used.

If no cable, I believe it uses wifi to connect, which has much more bandwidth for better audio quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah its using the car play connected via usb, never going to use bluetooth again!

To be honest I think the minor loss of sound quality is a fair trade off for not having to connect the phone via usb as I always forget the phone in the car when I get out

To be honest I think the minor loss of sound quality is a fair trade off for not having to connect the phone via usb as I always forget the phone in the car when I get out

doesnt the car remind you that the "phone is still in the car"? mine does lol

do you have the wireless charging? if so, I think that's how it knows that the phone is still in the car, I also think you can disable/enable that feature on the MMI

Yep there is wireless support coming to Android Auto just like there is for Apple CarPlay. What I am not sure about is if those updates are "pushed" by your phone or if Audi need to update their software to support. I do hope not as that could take forever!!

Yep there is wireless support coming to Android Auto just like there is for Apple CarPlay. What I am not sure about is if those updates are "pushed" by your phone or if Audi need to update their software to support. I do hope not as that could take forever!!

That is good news! Hopefully its coming soon, really hate the wires!!

I didn't think Apple Car Play worked wirelessly only via a cable.

I didn't think Apple Car Play worked wirelessly only via a cable.

It's actually already supported in iOS 9 but the adoption is somewhat slow - that said the information is so sparse I am not actually sure what is required to adopt it. I guess one way to find out if anyone is feeling up for the challenge would be to put it to Audi!

I have 2 questions that I've so far drawn a blank on.

1. Is there any way to remove the Mailbox from Telephone Favourites (or at least from the top of the list of numbers that come up). Mailbox in my car dials my voicemail, which I hardly ever use and have it set up as Voicemail as a separate contact, if I need it. The bodged fix for me at the minute is to remove the Mailbox number so that if I dial it by accident (it being the first object in the list) nothing happens. Another fix I suppose, would be to replace the Mailbox number with a genuine Favourite, but that is a pretty poor work around when what I really want to do is to delete it.

2. On the Navigation map, it shows your arrival time for a journey but not your journey time to your destination (I appreciate that I could just do the maths, but quite often I just want to know how long a journey will take, not necessarily what time I will arrive if I set off at the time when I check the route). I've been through all menus and can't find a way of displaying the journey time by default, or at all.

Whenever I read someones post, I find it useful to know what car they are driving.
I see some members have that on their posts, some don't.
I would like to add my car details to my posts but don't know how to.
Can anyone help?
Many thanks.

If you click on your name at the top of the page then click upon signature on the drop down box you can then place what info you wish to show in any post you make. I hope that's what you meant...

Thank you for that, `cuke2u`.
I did see that while I was trying to figure out how it was done, but thought it was what it said...a `signature` and I tried to use my mouse to write one...yeah seriously!

@Sandra should be able to help with how you get the banners under your name too - That is helpful also!

Reactions: Andy101 and Sandra
Thank you for that, `cuke2u`.
I did see that while I was trying to figure out how it was done, but thought it was what it said...a `signature` and I tried to use my mouse to write one...yeah seriously!
Lol, that made me laugh.
To get the banners with car /colour, etc, hover over your name at top right, box drops down, look for joinable user groups, tick the boxes you looking for, save and it will apply your banners under your name.

Reactions: cuke2u and maui
Lol, that made me laugh.
To get the banners with car /colour, etc, hover over your name at top right, box drops down, look for joinable user groups, tick the boxes you looking for, save and it will apply your banners under your name.
Thank you for that, Sandra`.
As you can see I was able to select all that were available.
Regards
Mike.

Reactions: Sandra
Just bought a b9 today. Question one of many. Can I retrofit dimming side mirrors? Car has folding/heated/led mirrors. Any idea on part number/how to do it? Thanks.

I have a couple of questions regarding the MMI.
1. When I've connected my iphone to USB, it don't seem possible to also connect to the same phone for hotspot for internet data. Also when connected via USB can I answer calls from steering wheel?
2. I took music memory cards out of my b8, but they aren't recognised in b9. Any ideas? I use an iMac to put data on the cards from iTunes. I think I converted to MP3 first tho, can't remember.

Thanks in advance.

I have a couple of questions regarding the MMI.
1. When I've connected my iphone to USB, it don't seem possible to also connect to the same phone for hotspot for internet data. Also when connected via USB can I answer calls from steering wheel?
2. I took music memory cards out of my b8, but they aren't recognised in b9. Any ideas? I use an iMac to put data on the cards from iTunes. I think I converted to MP3 first tho, can't remember.

Thanks in advance.

1. No it's not possible if you use CarPlay for both hotspot or answer from wheel. If you disable CarPlay you can do both however (and your phone appears to the MMI as a USB iPod.

2. Strange - should work OK? I also put files onto an SD card from a Mac. Unless it's something to do with the database files the MMI creates? Not sure if deleting those would make a difference?

1. No it's not possible if you use CarPlay for both hotspot or answer from wheel. If you disable CarPlay you can do both however (and your phone appears to the MMI as a USB iPod.

2. Strange - should work OK? I also put files onto an SD card from a Mac. Unless it's something to do with the database files the MMI creates? Not sure if deleting those would make a difference?

Will try and remove and replace files on card. Thanks for reply.

Reactions: maui
Ok now that I've ordered, I have some user questions which hopefull you guys can help with!

1. Now that the data sim is in built, how do I get wifi in the car for passengers?
2. I have an iPhone, had a quick play with CarPlay on the test drive, but what's the best way to connect the phone for everyday use, calls, music etc.
3. On my current car I cannot use the data allowance from my iPhone ( have a separate data sim in dash)
Is this stiil the case that you can share your iPhone data plan?

Thanks in advance for any input

Cheers
Keef

Hey @Keef -

1. To use the Embedded data for a Wi-Fi hotspot, there are 2 ways of achieving this.
    1. You purchase a Wi-Fi hotspot data plan for the embedded SIM. This can be done either from the Audi Connect site or from the MMI.
      • UK Cover
      1. 7 Days / 500Mb = £5.99
      2. 30 Days / 1GB = £9.99
      3. 365 Days / 10GB = £99.00
      • Europe Cover
      1. 7 Days / 500Mb = £12.99
      2. 30 Days / 1GB = £17.99
      3. 365 Days / 10GB = £155.00
    2. (likely cheaper) You purchase a data SIM (i.e. Three Pre-Paid Data SIM Cards) and insert it into the SIM slot in the glovebox. Note: This will put ALL MMI data via that SIM (and disable the embedded one).
  2. Subject to personal view tbh. I have a love/hate relationship with CarPlay, I find it horrifically buggy and nowhere near as 'polished' as the MMI abilities. So I tend to disable CarPlay and let the MMI handle it. I usually setup what I want to listen to on my phone before I set off (usually Audiobooks / Internet Radio).
  3. If you have CarPlay disabled, you can enable the Wi-Fi hotspot on your iPhone and connect the MMI to it. This will allow it to use the data on your phone. But again - It will put ALL data via your phone, so you might want to be careful of how much tethering allowance you have. There are a few posts here on how much data people have found the MMI uses.

Last edited:
@maui
Thankyou for the very clear and concise answers, perfect!
I already have a 3 12gb for 12 months prepay data sim (much cheaper than Audi rates lol)
Also my phone plan is 8gb a month so will probably just use that.

Cheers
Keef

Reactions: maui
One more question....
On the test drive, I got CarPlay to dictate and sent text message from my iPhone
But I'm assuming you still cannot read incoming texts due to apples lack of RSaP profile?

You can read new text messages on the MMI but you need to enable it on the Bluetooth settings on your phone.

That said, I don't think you can reply via MMI. I usually just call back if I need to reply so it's not a problem for me personally

Reactions: Keef and maui
Correct - cannot reply via MMI. By you can use Siri without CarPlay. Hold the voice button on steering wheel, or say 'Hey Siri' if your phone is on charge!

Reactions: Keef