French speeding tickets......

Nick_B

Reaction score
Hi All,

OK - not specifically Audi related but will share nonetheless....

Over the years I have made many trips to the Continent, enjoyed the excellent and remarkably pothole free roads whilst taking a somewhat flexible interpretation of the speed limit (especially on the French Autoroutes). All this came to a grinding halt last week when 2 letters from France dropped through the letter box. 138 km/h in a 130 km/h limit (Autoroute) and 123 km/h hour in a 110 km/h limit – 45 Euros a pop…..

Clearly the French authorities are now actively chasing down minor infringements. Ironically enough the date of the first offence was the 31st January……….

Take care…..

I wonder what would happen if you didn't pay. Interpol, CIA, men in black parked outside your house? Perhaps the French are thinking it will less likely to be able to chase tickets once a agreement, or not, is reached. Seeing as quite a few of our European friends also get away with various misdemeanors anyway..

I got two within 5 minutes of each other just outside Annecy! Temporary speed limits!!

There is an app to pay them with.

I wouldn't pay.
That's just me though.
What they going to do?
We are not part of the EU no more.
Suckers

Reactions: S3Lol
Actually a mate of mine took that view re some Italian speeding tickets, and the amount due increased over the months that he didnt pay. Eventually he ended up with bailiffs at the door seeking nearly £700. So I'd pay pronto :racer:

I presume none of these end up as "points" as such and therefore don't affect insurance......?

Reactions: And1
I wouldn't expect that they will chase you for the payment in UK but next time you drive in France you might get into trouble if police stop you or get caught by anpr camera. I would pay it just to avoid the hassle.

Actually a mate of mine took that view re some Italian speeding tickets, and the amount due increased over the months that he didnt pay. Eventually he ended up with bailiffs at the door seeking nearly £700. So I'd pay pronto :racer:

I presume none of these end up as "points" as such and therefore don't affect insurance......?

Yes - the fine increases if payment is delayed - I have paid them. Cannot risk it as make many trips accross the channel.

As far as I know - I do not need to tell the insurace - and no points on my licence.

Reactions: Andy101
Ive been done twice in France recently. One took 6 months to come through the post.
You can contest but this will involve a trip to a french court, you also have to pay the fine in advance of the hearing and then seek to recover the fine in court. Given the expense / risk involved its not worth the bother. Can you really see them letting a Brit off?
As for not paying, I would not advise this. The debt will mount and they will pursue.
You will more than likely get a marker on your passport and the next time you visit your passport will be linked to your Reg Plate by the "Duane"- customs and the Gendarmes will be waiting for you at the next toll booth.
Incidentally they are now measuring your average speed between tool booths. The days of clogging on in France are gone.