Free Audi Sport Eyesight Test!!!!

JamS3

Reaction score
For everyone involved in the below discussion i have provided a free eyesight test:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=44971

So here it is, for all who cant distinguish between the two models the opticians are calling.....

audia3nymod90s.jpg

audi-s3-2007-765008.jpg

sportback.jpg

001__scaled_600.jpg

radcu9.jpg

audi-s3-2007-747427.jpg

Shot yourself in the foot with the last two photos.
Apart from the wheels, anyone apart from an Audi anorak (or a frustrated S3 owner), would be hard pushed to spot the differences...

Well at least you have agreed with the other 4 photos then!

Yeh the last two are not the best as the A3 one you cant see the front and rear valances but the side skirts show on the S3.

But that was the same story with the 8L S3, only thing on the side was a piece of grey trim a quarter of the way up the doors.

Spot the difference eh?

car_photo_206670_25.jpg

car_photo_223802_25.jpg

Waits for tug on line.......

The receptionist at work thought my S-line was an S3 till I told her otherwise. Another fella I work with knew it wasn't an S3 but did say he was suprised how similar it looked to his mates S3 which is also Phantom Black like my S-line.

For the record I dont think my car looks like an S3.

Just as much as the new one yes, thats my whole point.

Easily identifiable but subtle, not in your face.

The old 8L there is as subtle in those pics compared to the "normal" A3 above it as the new 8P S3 with "normal" pics of the A3.

Differences seem quite obvious to me. Am I missing something? Pics dont show all angles, but there are clear differences from all sides

Rear
Exhaust
Valance/diffuser?
Different pattern bumper IIRC
S3 logo

Side
Larger wheels / different design
Lowered suspension

Front
Lower bumper
Honeycombe mesh grills
Chrome inserts on centre grill
Centre bottom section designed to match rear valance/diffuser
Different pattern bumper again
S3 logo

consilio said:
Differences seem quite obvious to me. Am I missing something? Pics dont show all angles, but there are clear differences from all sides

Rear
Exhaust
Valance/diffuser?
Different pattern bumper IIRC
S3 logo

Side
Larger wheels / different design
Lowered suspension

Front
Lower bumper
Honeycombe mesh grills
Chrome inserts on centre grill
Centre bottom section designed to match rear valance/diffuser
Different pattern bumper again
S3 logo

Exactly, careful though or you will get called for being a frustrated S3 owner!!

Sideskirts too on the side funny enough

JamS3 said:
Exactly, careful though or you will get called for being a frustrated S3 owner!!

Sideskirts too on the side funny enough

No an S3 owner yet :icon_thumright: Didn't mention the aluminium mirrors either, but to be honest you cant tell on the silver example below.

When I first when to Audi Reading to see their new S3 I couldn't find it. Turned out it was parked almost in front of me!

In my mates A4 S-Line Audi even bother to embroider the seats with S-Line. None of that kind of treatment on my seats - just plain ordinary.

Out of curiosity what was that black strip of 'trim' on the back of the S3 (8L) bumper actually supposed to be for - it was a surefire way to tell it was an S3.

There is one surefire way to tell the difference between a new S3 and an S-line...... put it round a track and see which one comes back first.

Pictures do not tell the whole story. Last week my brothers friend bought his A3 2.0 TDI S-Line and parked it next to my S3.

The difference is obvious, the S3 looks more agressive than the S-Line. It sits lower for a start, the alloys were bigger, the front bumper is far more sporty looking, as is the rear.

The interior of my S3, with its Bucket seats and FB-MFSW, looks a cut above the S-Line, although he also had black headlining, like my S3.

Like i said in the other post that JamS3 referred to at the start, the new S3 is not all about looks, its chassis is in another league compared to the 8L S3, that is where Audi put most of its focus in.

Guys

You are missing the most obvious point

S3 - shot from low down in almost all pictures to make it look more agressive

A3 - shot from typically higher angle to mae it look less agressive and more of a family car

:)

its easy to spot an S3 look at the sticker next to the spare wheel!!!

JohnS3 said:
Spot the difference eh?

car_photo_206670_25.jpg

car_photo_223802_25.jpg

One is Right Hand Drive, the other is Left Hand Drive?

JohnS3 said:
Spot the difference eh?

I'l tell you the difference.
I won't get all 'stampy feet and sulky' is someone thinks my Alpina is a normal 3 series.

consilio said:
but you just did! :eyebrows:

And how on earth did you come to that conclusion?
Pointing out I won't care means, in your little world, I will care?
Sheesh...
Seriously mate, if someone fails to notice my car is an Alpina, I won't be throwing my toys out of the pram, I won't question their eyesight, their sanity, or their car enthusiast credentials.

bowfer said:
I'l tell you the difference.
I won't get all 'stampy feet and sulky' is someone thinks my Alpina is a normal 3 series.

Do you have to have the Alpina decal on the front bumper skirt or is that an optional extra? Looks OK on the back, but looks a bit out of sorts on the front.

Other than that I bet it will be a great car.

warrencox said:
Do you have to have the Alpina decal on the front bumper skirt or is that an optional extra? Looks OK on the back, but looks a bit out of sorts on the front.

Other than that I bet it will be a great car.

No idea about front/back stickers, but I made damned sure it didn't have the optional side sticker kit.