Freak Accident

Brodster

Reaction score
Website
www.brotek.co.uk
Hi all.

Just when you thought it was safe to drive on the road.........let me tell you!!! Be vary wary of roadworks after reading this.
Picture the scene.........driving along a contra-flow at 40 mph when your son says....'Look at that big machinery' to the left. It was one of those vertical excavators that they dig up land with.......just off to the side of the road....and IN USE.

One of the shovels full of stones, grit and whatever else had been dug up decides to tip................right in front of my S3. Now with a car behind me there's nothing I can do apart from drive throught it all. Cant stop because its a single lane contra-flow for about 2-3 miles. I looked in my mirror to see 2-3 workmen with their head in their hands and rest of them pointing frantically to the machine.

At the earliest opportunity I phone up and complain to BEAR Scotland and the claim form is now on its way to me.

Now Audi took a look at the damage today as they know the car as I have only had it 2 months....and the total price to get the car back to its former glory is......................£1984.17.

I could not believe it as the damage is stone chips and scrapes. I do believe BEAR will be paying the said bill as 'The Old Bill' have been informed of the incident....just in case!!

Goes to show that anything can happen. Be safe........its dangerous out there.

Regards

Brodster

they are insured and they will pay. no worries there

will that be recorded as accident damage on the v5?

Nope because in theory its not recorded. If you saw the damage you would be amazed as its purely stone-chips etc etc. No dents or structural damage whatsoever. Its purely cosmetic. Labour cost alone is nearly £700.

Brodster

such a shame! audi don't do the best of jobs so get independent painter/body shop to over look the repair after..

plus side, you aint going through your own insurance so it wont be recorded!

Its Audi Glasgow at Hillington Park thats doing the repair. Apparently Edinburgh Audi use them all the time as they are the approved body repair place. I've never used them before so if anyone has any comments on them....good or bad then I'm all ears. I always check out my cars when they return from a garage so the S3 will be inspected with a fine toothed comb and rejected if I'm not satisfied.

Make sure you don't tell them to wash the car and wash it yourself before you take it! Haven't a few people had trouble with Audi Glasgow in relation to valeting?

Pretty sure it was hillington Audi that fixed my mates S3 after a transit smashed into it.

The rear quarter was destroyed and the rear wheel got ripped off and it was absolutley perfect when he got it back.(he is a perfectionist)

sorry to hear this mate. its strange as you think that the slow speed and all would be safer?
have you got any pics of the car damaged?

Its as if I am back in the newsgroup days with just text going back and forth. Where's the pix?

Sorry about the no pics scenario. The Audi garage couldnt even get good pics as they are that small.....but many of them. Ive tried taking the pics using my Canon 450D but you can't really see the damage. Im away to phone the body shop as they're going to change the grill...........so a little persuasion and hopefully I can get an RS3 item fitted.

How awful for you, there's nothing worse than picking up a new car and having something like that happen when you are in that period where you are enjoying the newness.

Hope the company doing the respray do a proper job, does it have to go back to Audi, or could you source a highly recommended local place who might do a better job?