Facelift Frameless rear view mirror

keenu

I noticed in some S3's that they have a frameless rear-view mirror. Do you only get this if you spec'd the auto-dimming rear view mirror?

I didn't spec the auto-dimming mirror and mine is not frameless so just wanted to know if that's it.

Rob2k68

VCDS Map User
Yes I believe that's the case.

keenu

Rob2k68

VCDS Map User
Ah ok thanks. Wish I knew that before however, might have been tempted to get it!

It may be a fairly straight forward retrofit @DJAlix will know for sure - do you have auto lights and wipers ? If so I think the wires to power the mirror come from the light switch.

SILVAF0XX

I thought the frameless mirror was the standard non dimming mirror now?

That's what I was told at time of my order anyway...

keenu

It may be a fairly straight forward retrofit @DJAlix will know for sure - do you have auto lights and wipers ? If so I think the wires to power the mirror come from the light switch.

Yes, Auto lights and wipers are standard on the facelift.

keenu

I thought the frameless mirror was the standard non dimming mirror now?

That's what I was told at time of my order anyway...

Mine is not frameless and is not auto dimming but i do have a small lever to manually make it dimmable.

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
On my April 2017 Sportback Sport 2.0TDI-184 the interior mirror is frameless but the auto-dimming was a £125 option. I assume it';s the same other models as well.

rajeevx5

S3
VCDS Map User
I noticed in some S3's that they have a frameless rear-view mirror. Do you only get this if you spec'd the auto-dimming rear view mirror?

I didn't spec the auto-dimming mirror and mine is not frameless so just wanted to know if that's it.
Frameless mirror was an update in MY15 regardless off dimming or non dimming.

keenu

Wait, so it should be frameless regardless? Can someone please take a picture of how it looks like with the non auto dim mirror for the facelift? Thanks.

AudiNutta

Staff member
Gold Supporter
Frameless mirror was an update in MY15 regardless off dimming or non dimming.

Wrong, I definitely have a 66 plate car and it has a bezel.

AudiNutta

Staff member
Gold Supporter
Wait, so it should be frameless regardless? Can someone please take a picture of how it looks like with the non auto dim mirror for the facelift? Thanks.

Nope, the non auto dimming mirrors have a bezel. I've seen lots of the 8V, many with and many without. The same applies across the range I believe.

SILVAF0XX

I never checked mine the other day when I sat in the car... will be interesting to see what I have. Will post tomorrow night when I've got it!

AL_B

My FL car has the auto-dimming rear view mirror, which is frameless.

But I have a question about the door mirrors. I think its been asked before and I just cant find which post it was in. Do/should the door mirrors dim too? Both or just one?
I noticed the other night that the interior and passenger door mirror dimmed, but the drivers one did not.

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
According to the current Audi price list the there are two options for folding mirrors (6XK) which costs £275 and consists of:

"Door mirrors (folding with auto-dimming function)
With auto-dimming function on both the driver’s and passenger's side.
Electrically folding, adjustable and heated with integrated LED side
indicators and kerb-view function for passenger side.
Only in combination with Auto-dimming rear-view mirror (PU7)"

and the other option (6XE) which costs £200 is the same but without the auto-dimming function.

When auto-dimming is included then both the driver's and passenger's should auto-dim.

AudiNutta

Staff member
Gold Supporter
My FL car has the auto-dimming rear view mirror, which is frameless.

But I have a question about the door mirrors. I think its been asked before and I just cant find which post it was in. Do/should the door mirrors dim too? Both or just one?
I noticed the other night that the interior and passenger door mirror dimmed, but the drivers one did not.

That can't have been the case, the current option is that the drivers mirror dims only.

Or at least that's what I thought

AL_B

That can't have been the case, the current option is that the drivers mirror dims only.

Or at least that's what I thought

I know. It seems the wrong way round. I'll have to double check next time, but the passenger side was of a comparable dimness to the interior mirror, yet drivers side wasn't.

EDIT: I must be imagining things. I think the car is fitted with the 6XE folding mirrors and not 6XK folding mirrors (with auto dimming). So it can't have a dimming passenger side mirror. It wouldnt make sense. Must have been angle of head-lights etc.

Last edited:

AudiNutta

Staff member
Gold Supporter
I know. It seems the wrong way round. I'll have to double check next time, but the passenger side was of a comparable dimness to the interior mirror, yet drivers side wasn't.

Very strange. I know above it has been quoted both do it, but every time I've built a car (got to be hundreds), it has always been drivers side dim only.

AudiNutta

Staff member
Gold Supporter
I have an MY14 with auto-dimming...
Not frameless. Any idea how hard the retrofit of the frameless would be?

It is only the facelift that has gone frameless.

Shouldn't be too hard, it's only aesthetic I think. I had a salesman tell me a little while back it is to "save weight", had to hold back a grin.

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
My previous PFL 2014 Audi A3 had auto-dimming folding door mirrors but only the driver's side had auto-dimming. When I order my current March 2017 model I was pleased to see that now both the driver's and passenger's mirrors have auto-dimming.

Xerohour

I have a 14 Plate PFL and a 17 Plate FL both with dimming rear view mirrors. The 14 plate has a bezel the 17 doesn't... to those of you who are thinking about retro fit, id think hard about it.

Having experienced both I actually believe the frameless version is a step backwards. The frameless has a thin band around its edge that doesn't dim (a little bit like the side mirrors), and which you still get dazzled through it. The old version i assume hid this section in the bezel and the visible section of glass was completely dimmed. Id actually prefer to go back to the old version in my FL car.

traindweller

I also have both mirrors dimming and the frame less mirror on my 15 plate MY16 car. Agree with h5djr that it is the option specced rather than the year, there was lots of forum conversation about the mirror changes back in 2015 .

rajeevx5

S3
VCDS Map User
Wrong, I definitely have a 66 plate car and it has a bezel.
ive had two 14 plate A3s with no frameless, 65 Plate S3 PFL with frameless and MY15 hire A3 in Spain was frameless which didn't have auto dimming. Mate at work has an A3 with manual dimming which is also frameless and MY15. I remember the dealer telling me back then that the MY15 included frameless mirrors. I also agree that the non frameless mirrors are better as the auto dimming dimmed the whole mirror, with the frameless there is still a strip which isn't dimmed

Last edited:

AudiNutta

Staff member
Gold Supporter
ive had two 14 plate A3s with no frameless, 65 Plate S3 PFL with frameless and MY15 hire A3 in Spain was frameless which didn't have auto dimming. Mate at work has an A3 with manual dimming which is also frameless and MY15. I remember the dealer telling me back then that the MY15 included frameless mirrors. I also agree that the non frameless mirrors are better as the auto dimming dimmed the whole mirror, with the frameless there is still a strip which isn't dimmed

Hm, strange. I've driven a lot of RS3's, S3's.. all levels of A3 and never once had a frameless mirror. I can only recall one of those being auto dimming and it was my granddads, MY15 A3 Saloon with auto dimming and it was still the oval with a bezel.

SILVAF0XX

Picked up my 2017 S3 today. Car doesn't have auto dimming, but also doesn't have frameless mirror... just for info.

Can't say I'm overly bothered.

AudiNutta

Staff member
Gold Supporter
Picked up my 2017 S3 today. Car doesn't have auto dimming, but also doesn't have frameless mirror... just for info.

Can't say I'm overly bothered.

Hope you are enjoying it.

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
I assume that from week 22 (MY18) all models will have the frameless mirror as auto-dimming is to become standard.

AudiNutta

Staff member
Gold Supporter

Rob2k68

VCDS Map User
I have an MY14 with auto-dimming...
Not frameless. Any idea how hard the retrofit of the frameless would be?

I changed my framed auto dimming 2015 MY to the much smaller framed (slimmer bezel) 2016 MY mirror which still has the on/off switch beneath it and hidden light sensor behind the glass. It was very straight forward and a great mod for £53 considering it included the high beam assist camera too.

Tom Morgan

I changed my framed auto dimming 2015 MY to the much smaller framed (slimmer bezel) 2016 MY mirror which still has the on/off switch beneath it and hidden light sensor behind the glass. It was very straight forward and a great mod for £53 considering it included the high beam assist camera too.

That sounds mint! £53? Is that all it cost from Audi? Seems far too reasonable. Any wiring knowledge needed or pretty simple?

Rob2k68

VCDS Map User