Fourth mod on 3.2 A3

JaminBen

Reaction score
It all started with a remap at AMD, May 13th.

It followed with a billet aluminium short-shifter from www.dieselgeek.com.

It went on with the arrival and fitting (two days ago) of a Milltek cat-back.

And it continued today with the arrival and fitting (1/2 an hour) of a BMC Carbon Dynamic Airbox.

Thanks Rich, at JBR Performance, for working overtime to find the correct application (he went out of his way, with phone calls and emails galore).

So, the BMC CDA? Brilliant! It is loud. Loud enough to partially drown out the Milltek pipes. It is effective. Effective enough to be felt (although I will be doing a stock vs. CDA comparison on a chassis dyno). It is pretty (if carbon fibre is your thing).

So there you go. I hope you won't see this as gloating on my part. I am writing this in the hope that it may help someone, someday (feel free to ask any question you may have). Oh, and also because I am so damn chuffed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

ummmh, I forgot the price. It was very expensive for what it was. Over 200 pounds, if memory serves. But hey, I don't have children to feed ;-)

Ordering it in England was a lot cheaper than buying here in France, and that's how I ended up ordering it from JBR.

I'll get some pics up asap. Could anyone host them for me? TIA

Thanks to MB, we should have some pics up tonight ;-)

Well, the fifth mod should have been the first one: stiffer engine mounts. There are three of them, and the most important one (for controlling engine movement) is the lower dogbone mount.

Still waiting for VF or Eip to make one...

I have four new Michelin PS2s going on wednesday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif but that doesn't count so, most likely, Bilstein's PSS9s will be mod # 05 !!

Right slight delay as I have only just checked my email from late last night... But hey better late than never.

cda.jpg

cda2.jpg

shortshift.jpg

shortshift2.jpg

Right, thanks J!

So there you go: a BMC CDA in a 3.2! It fits well, the MAF screwing right into the carbon 'box. The 3"alloy ducting routes easily to just behind the left foglight grille: methinks it should be a nice high-pressure area. The sound is lovely, a nice counterpoint to the exhaust... several people have already commented on it.

The other two photos are of the billet aluminium short-shifter. It makes the gear lever feel like it's actually connected to something, and the throws are noticeably shorter. It's the same part for all VAG 02 'boxes (VW/Audi/Seat Tdi etc...).

Thanks again, Rich @ JBR performance, and J for hosting the photos.

Looks really good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif. Was the BMC specific for the A3? Or was it one that you have adapted? Only reason I ask is because I was informed that the only one that would fit at the moment is the one for the 225 TT?

Hi DSG, the reference for the one I fitted is CDA-SP03. It is the large canister one (150mm diameter x 260mm length, with a 90mm flange for the MAF). Now, the "male" part of the MAF, which fits into the "female" part of the CDA is only 86mm OD. So, I removed the 3mm round section O-ring from the original airbox and sandwiched it between the MAF and CDA.

This CDA is NOT purpose-built for the A3. BMC make a few different sizes, and this is the one that best fits the 3.2.

The upside is that there is a nice way to route the alloy piping, straight to incoming air ;-)

Thanks for that.

I have checked out the dimensions of the CDA for the 225 TT/ S3. These appear to be the same as the ones you have listed , apart from the D1 measurement, which is 80mm and not 92mm. I have a 225/S3 one on order, so when that comes I will see how/if it fits to the 2.0Tdi. Milltek should be here next week as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'll tell you one thing: The CDA will make your compressor wheel very audible. Should sound pretty angry!

Is your standard airbox on the left side of the car as well? If so, I'll take some pics of the way I routed my piping. It's a cinch, really!

So you're doing a set of Milltek pipes as well? You'll be hearing your turbine wheel as well then! Should be quite the concerto, in "D" major of course ;-) That's going to be a pretty engaging Tdi. I'm sure it will rev more freely...

i'm considering getting an induction kit however would the remap not be affected? Should I have got the induction kit before the remap?

[ QUOTE ]
I'll tell you one thing: The CDA will make your compressor wheel very audible. Should sound pretty angry!

Is your standard airbox on the left side of the car as well? If so, I'll take some pics of the way I routed my piping. It's a cinch, really!

So you're doing a set of Milltek pipes as well? You'll be hearing your turbine wheel as well then! Should be quite the concerto, in "D" major of course ;-) That's going to be a pretty engaging Tdi. I'm sure it will rev more freely...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully should rev a lot more freely than it does at the moment with just the K&N panel filter. Yeah the Air box is on the same side as yours (judging by the pics). Any Pics of the fitting would be most helpful. Did you fine it easy to take the oem box out? Only section I'm worried about is the clip/bolt in the right corner (facing the car) at the front.

Thanks for the info/help so far

With pleasure mate!

I think the bolt you are refering to is an allen head screw. On the 3.2 there are three total, one on the outside of the airbox assembly, and two on the inside (in bottom of airbox, under filter).

Again, this is all for the 3.2... The Allen heads are of two different sizes, the two inner and the one outer being different. Just show up with a set and you'll be fine.

The factory black tube that goes from the throttle body (or intake manifold) to the airbox, is secured by a big circular clip. To remove this, you will need a plumber's wrench (sorry, don't know what this is called - it's like big plyers that can be adjusted to go from say 1/4" to 2". The clip is painted, so place protective tape on the "teeth" of the plyers (or you'll end up with a scratched clip like me).

It's all really easy and straightforward... I'll try to take some more pics for ya, maybe this weekend?

Yeah that sounds good mate, cheers.

Once again thanks for all your help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Looks like its going to be a lot more complicated to fit on the 2.0TDI. Due to the location of the battery and the fuse box! Also there is what looks like a cable coming out of the pipe after the air box and before the MAF sensor. Can any one confirm what this is as it could prevent the fitting of the CDA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif