Forum Newbie, Advice For Buying..

ashuk115

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum but after some advice.

Currently I have a 2002 A4TDI pd130, looking to sell soon and get something a little newer.

Fancy sticking with another A4 but want to go for a better spec so looking at 06/07 S Line Special Edition.

Just not sure which engine, 2.0TFSI or 2.0TDI 170?
I use my car daily and do 200miles a week, I want performance but also don't want it to cost an arm and leg to run. NB: I've previously had a 300bhp 1993 S2 ABY which was a heavy drinker and can't afford those running costs now I have a family!

I know what the published mpg stats are for the TFSI but what are owners actually getting on average? What range do you get from a full tank and what's the cost of filling it?

In addition, is anyone running a remap that's improved both performance and fuel economy?

I've heard that the TDI170 is not as reliable as my current pd130, any views on this?

Cheers,
Ash

Hi Ash, welcome to audi-sport.net. Im sure the guys will advise you. Where you located? Enjoy the forum :) x

Why not a 3.0tdi? Remapped about 280bhp, more torque than an RS4 and 35mpg average with a mix of driving.

Also 42mpg on long motorway runs...

Hi JJ,
A 3.0L TDI would suit, unfortunately they appear to be rarer within my budget and ideal mileage preferences but I will be looking, cheers.

Sandra, thanks for the welcome. I'm based in Nottinghamshire.

Having just sold my 8P S3 I am also considering a B7 A4.

I also do 200 miles a week and would not even consider the 2.0tdi 170. Having previously had this engine in my A3 (where it was okay) in a heavier car I can only imagine it to lack a bit of get up and go. Also it was not particularly economic apart from on long runs.

With the low mileage you are doing at 200 miles a week it would be between the 2.0TFSI or 3.0tdi. Personally having owned the 2.0TFSI albeit a slightly different variant to the one in the A4, I can only consider the 3.0tdi. Plus quattro is a must + that torque. My advice is test drive them all and see what you like best.

This is my average over the last 2,600 odd miles in my 2.0tfsi quattro using shell's finest. Generally £70-75ish to fill from just above red line to brim, sees over 400 miles before next refill

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 139
This is my average over the last 2,600 odd miles in my 2.0tfsi quattro using shell's finest. Generally £70-75ish to fill from just above red line to brim, sees over 400 miles before next refill

That's really good to get from the 2.0T. If I had got anywhere near that with my S3 I would of kept it forever haha. Seeing 18-20mpg was a killer. From what I've read that is very similar mpg as the 3.0tdi, so really is just a personal choice between the two.

I think the engine you have in your car is a more reliable or less problematic should I say. Later 2.0 tdi 170bhp has dpf as far as I know so a 140bhp remapped is less hassle. Or 170 with dpf map and delete. I bought an a3 2.0tdi from main dealer about 3 years ago and it needed a turbo and egr valve under warranty. A 3.0tdi Quattro is a sweet engine but check for timing chain or tensioner rattle, start from cold, its silky smooth and in an a4 will out handle most things and still sound nice, the old 1.9tdi lumps are sound, its only my opinion!

Just curious on your app, If I took your average fuel price (£1.364) x 395.78 = £539.84 which you travelled 2638 miles

Im not sure how the app gets your 35.30. Because if I calculate that I get 30.30 mpg

Because the 395.78 is the exact litres you used as well as the miles travelled the only variation is the price per litre.

Which even putting the price at £1.399 p/l still only comes out with 31.08 mpg. It would have to be around £1,59 p/l to avg 35.3.

Or maybe my maths isnt very good.

Just curious on your app, If I took your average fuel price (£1.364) x 395.78 = £539.84 which you travelled 2638 miles

Im not sure how the app gets your 35.30. Because if I calculate that I get 30.30 mpg

Because the 395.78 is the exact litres you used as well as the miles travelled the only variation is the price per litre.

Which even putting the price at £1.399 p/l still only comes out with 31.08 mpg. It would have to be around £1,59 p/l to avg 35.3.

Or maybe my maths isnt very good.

Very good point!

I think the average takes into account each individual journey - see the breakdowns. Each of these individual journeys calculate correctly, so I suppose if I drive 1000 miles at 40mpg and 500 at 30mpg, it is calculating the average based on the relative distance of each journey... If that makes sense!?

At the end of the day, it's a free app so it's not going to be amazing, but it is easy to pop in the stats after a fill up for a rough idea.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 105
Personally I like my 170 tdi avant, 32-34mpg cold runs around the doors and around 44-46 mpg on a run at motorway speeds (brim to brim calculations). Tank mileage varies from 500 to around 700 so it's not as bad as people make out. My injectors were new last July and the egr and inlet manifoild have recently been cleaned so these might have helped figures. As for performance, drive a good one, it pulls like a train. Road tax is only £175 per year as well compared to £260/£280 on the 3.0 tdi
Overall I couldn't be happier really. I know about dpf/oil pump/turbo issues but I bought the car after weighing up all the various options on engines and this ticked the boxes for me