Formula 1 (2018 Chat Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nando retires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has left the door open to return to McLaren if they vastly improve... So yeah, he's retired from F1...!! My speculation about him has happened though. Now wait for Sainz...

As you said. Sainz in Mclaren from next year

Reactions: Ozmosis, desertstorm and martin1984
SPA 2018, the race everyone had been waiting for; "a straight fight between Hamilton and Vettel."

And with no 'wingmen' to spoil, the result and following silence is deafening... :whistle2:

And Christian Horner saying he “nearly got my violin out” when he heard Lewis Hamilton moan about Ferrari’s apparent engine advantage (https://www.crash.net/f1/news/904345/1/horner-nearly-got-violin-out-hamilton-s-ferrari-moan) was priceless...

Just sayin' :racer:

Toto and the boys have stopped developing the engine and are instead putting their efforts into trying to make it rain on every GP weekend. That's their solution to the Ferrari engine and "tricks" advantage! :wink:

The rain might make a mess of Horner's violin and all...

It's obviously not perfected yet as all they could manage was a brief splash in qualy.

Reactions: Ghost
SPA 2018, the race everyone had been waiting for; "a straight fight between Hamilton and Vettel."

And with no 'wingmen' to spoil, the result and following silence is deafening... :whistle2:

And Christian Horner saying he “nearly got my violin out” when he heard Lewis Hamilton moan about Ferrari’s apparent engine advantage (https://www.crash.net/f1/news/904345/1/horner-nearly-got-violin-out-hamilton-s-ferrari-moan) was priceless...

Just sayin' :racer:

I think I also screamed at the TV to shut up after the past four years of Mercedes engine advantage...

Reactions: 45bvtc
So the Haas had an illegal floor and have been disqualified! FIA say they knew it was illegal too. Oops...

So the Haas had an illegal floor and have been disqualified! FIA say they knew it was illegal too. Oops...
FIA gave them time to rectify it, and it was supposed to be ready by Monza, however, they couldn't get the part made up in time apparently!?

Reactions: Ozmosis and Sandra
FIA gave them time to rectify it, and it was supposed to be ready by Monza, however, they couldn't get the part made up in time apparently!?

Yeah the technical directive was issued on 25th July (not only for Haas) and Haas stated that the upgrade to comply should be ready for Singapore, and even that was going to be tight for the suppliers... I guess they just wanted to see who's paying attention or what?

What ever you do DON't 'touch' upset a Mercedes, ask Max Verstappen...
6414.gif

Reactions: martin1984
Got to admit, Monza was a pretty exciting race from start to finish! Can't say that too often of late. Not just once now, but Vettel is cracking under pressure this season, and you can't say Mercedes got lucky this time round?, they had the slower car! If Vettel had started the race from Pole, it may have been another story... still a decent recovery from the back of the field, aided by a 5s penalty from Verstappen.

I still think the drivers championship is Vettels to lose, 30 points is easily clawed back with 7 races left, so long as he finishes in front of Lewis. Obviously my preferred choice of Champion is Lewis, and if he wins it this season with a technically inferior car, then it will truly put him amongst the greats if he isn't in that bracket already?

Reactions: Ozmosis, RCD6FC and Sandra
Got to admit, Monza was a pretty exciting race from start to finish! Can't say that too often of late. Not just once now, but Vettel is cracking under pressure this season, and you can't say Mercedes got lucky this time round?, they had the slower car! If Vettel had started the race from Pole, it may have been another story... still a decent recovery from the back of the field, aided by a 5s penalty from Verstappen.

I still think the drivers championship is Vettels to lose, 30 points is easily clawed back with 7 races left, so long as he finishes in front of Lewis. Obviously my preferred choice of Champion is Lewis, and if he wins it this season with a technically inferior car, then it will truly put him amongst the greats if he isn't in that bracket already?

SPA!
4378.gif

I didn’t agree with the Mercedes unsporting like tactics, sending the pit crew out to block Kimi, or leaving Bottas out to slow Kimi down?

C’mon ..didn’t Lewis think he could overtake Kimi fair and square?

Tbh I couldn’t believe after Bottas made his pit stop, how Max was only a few seconds in front, so if Mercedes pitted Bottas around the same time as Max, I think they could have got a Mercedes one two ?

..and I don’t think Max should have had a penalty, he was just getting back on the racing line to take the corner.

Liked the way he said F-it to losing time to Vettel.. Bottas wasn’t getting passed him , lol

Reactions: Ozmosis and 45bvtc
I didn’t agree with the Mercedes unsporting like tactics, sending the pit crew out to block Kimi, or leaving Bottas out to slow Kimi down?

Tbh I couldn’t believe after Bottas made his pit stop, how Max was only a few seconds in front, so if Mercedes pitted Bottas around the same time as Max, I think they could have got a Mercedes one two ?

..and I don’t think Max should have had a penalty, he was just getting back on the racing line to take the corner.

Liked the way he said F-it to losing time to Vettel.. Bottas wasn’t getting passed him , lol
I agree with you the only point i would add was if max had touched anyone like hamilton did with vettle he would be being slated saying he did it on purpose to knock him back on the title race etc
Also did Mercedes really think nobody would catch up on the power side of the cars.
Not like they have had power advantages over the last few Seasons.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: 45bvtc

Max was indeed moving back onto the racing line, but he needed to leave a car width's space and he didn't do that. Bottas was almost level beside him and already at the edge of the track when Max gave him a punt onto the escape road to play dodgem with the styrofoam.

Max was indeed moving back onto the racing line, but he needed to leave a car width's space and he didn't do that.

I know Max is a serial lane changer, but turn one at that speed, he’s not going anywhere but into the path of Bottas.

We have seen this so many times this year without penalty.

Reactions: Ozmosis, Sandra and martin1984

I know Max is a serial lane changer, but turn one at that speed, he’s not going anywhere but into the path of Bottas.

We have seen this so many times this year without penalty.

Max is indeed a serial lane changer. I'm not sure that's such a bad reputation to build up, though. It could be useful in putting off less determined opponents. Would you take the chance of pulling alongside Max in the braking zone, knowing that he'll get his elbows out to return to the racing line? Particularly with a race win or serious championship points riding on not crashing out?

As to your second point, now you're venturing into the realm of the "c" word with respect to stewards: consistency. As I mentioned previously, and you pointed out, there doesn't seem to be consistency in ruling what is worthy of a penalty and what isn't. For the record, I thought Max's effort was worthy of a penalty as he was a bit too aggressive this time in my view. As you said, we've seen similar incidents previously with no penalty at all and therein lies the problem for me. I'm all about consistency, baby!

Reactions: Ozmosis, Ghost and Sandra
Max is indeed a serial lane changer. I'm not sure that's such a bad reputation to build up, though. It could be useful in putting off less determined opponents. Would you take the chance of pulling alongside Max in the braking zone, knowing that he'll get his elbows out to return to the racing line? Particularly with a race win or serious championship points riding on not crashing out?

As to your second point, now you're venturing into the realm of the "c" word with respect to stewards: consistency. As I mentioned previously, and you pointed out, there doesn't seem to be consistency in ruling what is worthy of a penalty and what isn't. For the record, I thought Max's effort was worthy of a penalty as he was a bit too aggressive this time in my view. As you said, we've seen similar incidents previously with no penalty at all and therein lies the problem for me. I'm all about consistency, baby!
:hi:100% :icon thumright:

Reactions: Ozmosis

The stewards are consistently inconsistent... That's got to mean something surely??

Reactions: RCD6FC, desertstorm and Ghost
That’s the championship all over .. ??

What was perez thinking today!
Should get a one race ban, not a drive through penalty!! Wtf

Agree about Perez really stupid driving. He could have left enough room for Ocon at the start I am sure. The fact that he deliberately drove into Sirotkin shows his state of mind and the way he races. Wouldn't be surprised if there is a follow on penalty for Perez for that move.

You could see from Ocon's on board that his front wheels were in front of Perez's. It almost looked to me that Perez deliberately straightened up to clip him.

As for the Sirotkin incident, what the actual...

Was at Silverstone BTCC all day, came back and switched on catch up. Other than Perez messing up twice it was like watching paint dry. Waste of time

What was perez thinking today!
Should get a one race ban, not a drive through penalty!! Wtf
He looked to the left too before turning left!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Too early to say, if Vettel wins the remaining 6 races, he can still be World Champion! Ferrari are just shooting themselves at the mo', nevermind Vettel making mistakes. But overall, a boring race for the fans, it just felt too long...

Reactions: martin1984 and Ghost
The only thing that's going to stop Lewis winning another championship is a run of really bad luck with Mechanical issues or failing to finish a race through damage to the car from collisions / accidents . With 25 points for a win 2 DNF's from Lewis and 2 wins by Vettel would put him back in the lead again. His pole position lap was supreme as was Verstappens to put his car into second place.
Force India have issued orders that their drivers cannot race each other and Otmar seems to be blaming Perez for not giving his team mate room.
I agree that the Touring cars were a more exciting watch, I watched the F1 race live and then caught up with all the touring car action in the evening. Stellar racing from Tom Ingram in "The Thing" AKA the rocket ship. I can see Rob Collard maybe retiring and letting Ricky take his seat. Unfortunately It seems Jason Plato looks to have lost his MOJO a bit as he is no where compared to Ash Sutton.

Reactions: Ghost and slepy
Both, Plato and Neal should retire and let young guns race. Pretty sure Collard will let Ricky race instead. Think Colin’s got it this year but Ingram sure deserves to win it too.

WOLFF: "Valtteri, this is Toto. It was a difficult day for you and a difficult day for us. Let's discuss it after the race"

Reactions: Ozmosis
Pretty poor really from Mercedes, I know Ferrari would have done the same thing if they were in that position but I would expect it from them. Very muted and awkward at the end of the race, this is not really what F1 wants, after such a great race with Verstappen coming through the field it was a poor finish. I hope Lewis returns a race win to Valteri later in the season, It looked to me like Lewis was trying to swap trophys with Valteri on the podium.
I was almost expecting a repeat of this.

Reactions: Ozmosis and martin1984
Let them actually race. We saw that Hamilton had the ability to get Vettel after the pit stops.

No one wants to see a podium of miserably uncomfortable faces!

I had a look here to see if yesterdays incident would be mentioned. :D Very low key here though compared with the outcry on social media.
All this bleating on about a complete travesty of justice and fair play. :blahblah1:
There is one simple fact here - it would have been sheer stupidity for the team to let Bottas win the race.
Fast forward to the end of the season and Vettel wins the title by less than 7 points........"I told you so" would be of zero consolation then, with possibly Toto looking for a new job.
Bottas understands this, Vettel understands this, in fact everybody directly involved in the sport understands this. The only people who don't(or are not willing to) understand this are a number of armchair fans.
Get over it and move on!
I am sure Hamilton will return the favour to Bottas in one of the remaining races, just like he gave the place back in Hungary 2017 enabling Bottas to get on the podium.

I realise this post will be highly controversial. :fearscream:

Reactions: jojo and Ozmosis
The only people who don't(or are not willing to) understand this are a number of armchair fans.
It’s. not that they don’t understand why Toto called it, it’s because it takes away the sporting competitiveness.
Who was the best driver on the day?

It sums up what you know about sport, saying “I am sure Hamilton will return the favour to Bottas in one of the remaining races”
Bottas told Lewis he can stick that where the sun don’t shine!

imo it was the right call for Bottas to move out of the way on lap 25 to cover Vettel off, that’s the team game, but Vettel didn’t have the tyres to come back at Lewis in the last few laps.

Who was the best driver on the day?
It sums up what you know about sport, saying “I am sure Hamilton will return the favour to Bottas in one of the remaining races”
Bottas told Lewis he can stick that where the sun don’t shine!
First of all I have had to remove the Bold type from my text which was there by default because I have quoted you. :(

Driver of the day IMO was Verstappen.

So because I have not read a specific piece of information that may or may not be true....it proves that I do not know much about the sport even though I have been avidly following it for the past 35 years. Ok then. :D

There is no need to get upset because you are an armchair fan.......I am one too. :innocent:

There is no need to get upset because you are an armchair fan.......I am one too. :innocent:

I’m not upset, or never get upset chatting about F1.. far more real things to think about.

Only because someone don’t agree with you, don’t mean they’re upset if they reply.

Sorry but I always use the bold text in all my posts, it’s just easier to see. :hi:

Reactions: Sandra
Status
Not open for further replies.