Forged engine help

Sam H

Reaction score
hey guys, basically my engine has seen better days I have had the head rebuilt but the block is damaged by Pistons, I could reuse the block by having the engine bored out to a 2.0 and was wondering where is the best place to get forged parts and how much would it cost excluding turbos etc just to get the engine rebuilt with forged internals, thanks

This is I think what I'm after but is there anything else on the market this is the only one I've been able to find

http://www.jbsautodesigns.co.uk/product/932/18t-stroker-kit-20ltr

Last edited:
hey guys, basically my engine has seen better days I have had the head rebuilt but the block is damaged by Pistons, I could reuse the block by having the engine bored out to a 2.0 and was wondering where is the best place to get forged parts and how much would it cost excluding turbos etc just to get the engine rebuilt with forged internals, thanks

This is I think what I'm after but is there anything else on the market this is the only one I've been able to find

http://www.jbsautodesigns.co.uk/product/932/18t-stroker-kit-20ltr
rebore wont take it to 2ltr btw
crank required for that

Could he bore it out and use 2ltr pistons though?

You can bore it out to 83mm making it a 1.9ltr without using the stroker crank but you cannot use stroker pistons...

82.5mm and a stroker crank is a true 2ltr, 83mm and stroker crank is 2008cc taking it a little over

83mm bore requires the ALT head gasket increasing compression ratio as its thinner... 82.5mm will use an OE 1.8t gasket though

<tuffty/>

you can bore it out to an assortment of sizes.. max usually being 83mm.

add a stroker crank and you get more..

I will just get a new block and forge it no real need to go oversized I suppose. I will build it up slowly, I think a common turbo is a Garrett gt35? Might be wrong but would a borgworner s300sx be ok to use?

Last edited:
I will just get a new block and forge it no real need to go oversized I suppose. I will build it up slowly, I think a common turbo is a Garrett gt35? Might be wrong but would a borgworner s300sx be ok to use?

And are prism rods any good?

Can get them sort of numbers out of a k04 hybrid these days, and it'll be half the price of a gt35 build...

I was just guessing on low figures, the only reason it's getting built is because the engine block got damaged and I might as well while its out and I don't much fancy running a k4 to its limit as the absolute last thing I want to be doing is getting the engine back out cause the turbo has let go

???

Whatever your problem is...

for the op, choose a make of rods others have found reliable.. not just cheapest
Price isn't the issue it has a factor but I want the best bang for buck I guess I'm not looking to spend £600 on rods that work just as well as a set of £300

I was just guessing on low figures, the only reason it's getting built is because the engine block got damaged and I might as well while its out and I don't much fancy running a k4 to its limit as the absolute last thing I want to be doing is getting the engine back out cause the turbo has let go

Find me one example of a decent k04 hybrid "letting go"... A hybrid is no less reliable than a garret or similar, and all the bits are tried and tested, no custom bits (DP, oil/water lines etc etc) which if anything makes it more reliable and predictable

Just out of interest, what happened to your block?

Ok will keep looking thanks pal

Pec rods look good but nearly double the price of the prism rods.

FWIW,mine is a TFSi,but using PEC rods,and Wossner pistons.

The rods seem solid enough,in my case for around 540lbs,and I've no reason to assume the rods for the 8L would be any different.

Find me one example of a decent k04 hybrid "letting go"... A hybrid is no less reliable than a garret or similar, and all the bits are tried and tested, no custom bits (DP, oil/water lines etc etc) which if anything makes it more reliable and predictable

Just out of interest, what happened to your block?

Thanks for info but I'm going big turbo, the chip (map) previously installed was over fueling washing the oil off the Pistons.

FWIW,mine is a TFSi,but using PEC rods,and Wossner pistons.

The rods seem solid enough,in my case for around 540lbs,and I've no reason to assume the rods for the 8L would be any different.

Thanks man they are top of the list at the minute they are apparently rated to 900bhp? Weather that's because they wanted to sell it to me or they actually will do it, 900bhp is far from what I'm after tho

Thanks man they are top of the list at the minute they are apparently rated to 900bhp? Weather that's because they wanted to sell it to me or they actually will do it, 900bhp is far from what I'm after tho

It's torque that kills rods,but even on that score they seem OK.....engine on mine is turning out 540lbs,and they haven't bent yet.

Cheaper rods tend to be non drilled or drilled but have holes/grooves in the small end as they were designed to be splash lubed rather than pressure fed..

So far IE appear to be fairly consistent in getting them right... I use IE's in my engine..

Most if not all aftermarket forged rods should support pretty much any hp/torque you can throw at a typical 1.8t but its reliability that suffers if the small end lubrication is not done right... other rods I have seen with grooves and holes in the small end are designed to be splash lubed from the cylinder oil squirters... this is an issue in its own right as on idle there is generally not enough pressure to open the check valves on them so the small ends don't get oil... rifle drilling these types of rods means that while oil can get to the small end more readily the pressure is greatly affected by the grooves and holes in the small ends which is more of a worry for the whole engine...

The other thing to consider is cheaper rods tend not to be very beefy around the big end where the join is for the rod and cap...

Generally speaking you get what you pay for rod wise... the only ones I feel confident enough about to use myself are IE ones...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: S3Alex
Generally speaking you get what you pay for rod wise... the only ones I feel confident enough about to use myself are IE ones...

<tuffty/>

I think that's true for so many parts.

IE have always served me very well,and I'd trust anything they produce.

Remembering the old saying about buy cheap,buy twice.