Ford Focus RS (2016)

It will be a big seller (rather than they might sell a few) it will be more engaging to drive than an S3, which shouldn't be too difficult, it wont compete on BHP with the RS3 and it will be a performance bargain.
Before we all say it's pants lets wait until we see (or drive) one? It's not for all, as I previously mentioned the reasons you (I) bought my current car are myriad. There's absolutely no doubt the last Focus RS was an enjoyable and thrilling drive. It's abilities for a front wheel drive car were amazing. Hence they are still sought after with high prices and relatively low depreciation. I wont buy one not because it wont be a great dynamic vehicle but purely on it's size, the same reason I didn't buy a Golf R.

On a previous thread some one asked what would you buy if you were looking now? I'd buy another S3, perhaps a different colour but an S3 none the less. But my love for the S3 doesn't blinker me to think everything else is total crap.

Last edited:
Reactions: xpoweruk and veeeight
The Focus has been fantastic to drive for some time, and the Fiesta is arguably even better. You get some twisty country roads and a Focus or a Fiesta and you have driving joy. I like manhandling my A3 a bit and it's getting better the more miles I do, but that's just not everyone's cup of tea. It's not effortless.....unless you find that boring. An ex-Ford engineer works for my current company and he's quite rightly proud of those cars.

In the intangible world of motoring and why people buy what they do though....it's not enough - yet. However, it's a good starting point in reconnecting with their history and the RS/XR3i/Cosworth etc. etc. past which they really need to do.

Reactions: cuke2u and Jassyo06
I tried the SS seats on one of the many test drives but they are a bit of a 'half way house' The ST's seat's are superb but then I'm not carrying much bulk.
I would imagine persons over a certain size might find them uncomfortable.

The exact reason l didnt go for the SuperSport seats, as they dont come anywhere close to my ST3 recaro seats and didnt offer enough lateral support over the standard seats plus the fact l am bored with dull grey leather.

The Focus has been fantastic to drive for some time, and the Fiesta is arguably even better. You get some twisty country roads and a Focus or a Fiesta and you have driving joy. I like manhandling my A3 a bit and it's getting better the more miles I do, but that's just not everyone's cup of tea. It's not effortless.....unless you find that boring. An ex-Ford engineer works for my current company and he's quite rightly proud of those cars.

In the intangible world of motoring and why people buy what they do though....it's not enough - yet. However, it's a good starting point in reconnecting with their history and the RS/XR3i/Cosworth etc. etc. past which they really need to do.
My remapped mk3 1.6 ecoboost was a testiment to how good the chassis was, yes it had been made a tad softer, but still it put a smile on my face. The car just seemed to get better the more you pushed it and you could make it dance. I wouldn't say that the fiesta was better though, as we owned both, maybe the epas was slightly sharper and has more feel, but the suspension is softer. Not tried the ST version though and I expect that is much better due to the suspension tweaks.

We now know - the driveline is made by GKN (who also provide the latest Evoque driveline)

There are 2 clutch packs, one controlling front/rear, the other controlling rear axle split. Which means that 100% of the available torque can be sent to that one outside rear wheel :D

Definitely a game changer for AWD cars.

Roll on, test drive :D

Reactions: AndyB-S3
We now know - the driveline is made by GKN (who also provide the latest Evoque driveline)

There are 2 clutch packs, one controlling front/rear, the other controlling rear axle split. Which means that 100% of the available torque can be sent to that one outside rear wheel :D

Definitely a game changer for AWD cars.

Roll on, test drive :D

Was on the Ford configurator yesterday naff configuration graphics though and not a lot of nice colours to choose from black blackish,white and powder blue, erm l just think ford could have done a bit better the alloy wheel choice ain't that great either my opinion being based on having a Mk3 St previously,won't stop me standing in the que waiting for a test drive though,cheap compared to my s3 aswell

Going to be like sitting in a child's kitchen! :puke2:

My cousin works as a salesman for Ford so might try and give one a test, cant imagine I'd ever want to own one though.

Going to be like sitting in a child's kitchen! :puke2:

My cousin works as a salesman for Ford so might try and give one a test, cant imagine I'd ever want to own one though.
The things that would worry me owning one would be theft and vandalism it's a magnet for these the S3 ain't as noticeable

Reactions: G-S3
As most of these will be sold in Essex they will most probably have a staff or other large dog keeping guard :poodle:

Hmm,

Its the worst looking of the Focus Rs's in my opinion.

First one was classic, 2nd one has quite a lot of road presence...this one just looks a bit "safe".

Im looking forward to seeing one in the metal though....the current Focus ST looks pretty good face on.....just not such a nice side/rear....

Hmm,

Its the worst looking of the Focus Rs's in my opinion.

First one was classic, 2nd one has quite a lot of road presence...this one just looks a bit "safe".

Im looking forward to seeing one in the metal though....the current Focus ST looks pretty good face on.....just not such a nice side/rear....
I actually do prefer the looks of the current ST to the RS not too keen on the blue theme inside either the dashboard is very very good though, love the built in 8 " sync2 navigation system but it would need to be something very special to pull me back to the blue oval badge?

I'd love an RS but as a one car family, my wife has told me in no uncertain terms, "There's no fuc*ing way i'm driving that..."

The response to the S3 Saloon was the complete opposite; "Ooooo, that's a lovely looking car, I like the sparkly blue..."

Take from that what you will...

Reactions: Jassyo06 and AndyB-S3
The response to the S3 Saloon was the complete opposite; "Ooooo, that's a lovely looking car, I like the sparkly blue..."
The saloon from the lowest model right up to the S3 just oozes class ;)

Reactions: slayaz
But it has the looks only a mother would love ... :whistle2:
Looks no where near as nice as the mk2 RS Focus IMO

Reactions: Steve!
It's looking like its gonna be crowned hot hatch King

Reactions: Pulp84 and AndyB-S3
It's looking like its gonna be crowned hot hatch King
No Haldex and and a proper steering rack. None of this variable rack nonsense.

Happy, happy days

Reactions: veeeight and AndyB-S3
Has anyone been able to get a confirmed date for a test drive?

Website is taking enquiries but didn't get a call back....my local dealer keeps changing when they will have a demo

SPAD_NewFocusRS.jpg

:D:D:D

Just my little input, I've been researching the awd system in this car because I thought it was fairly interesting.
It seems all good on paper and by most reviews but I've stumbled across a few issues with this system that would unfortunately prevent me from considering this car over a torsen based awd system.

In one particular review, the awd overheated and thus rendered it fwd only. The car was obviously driven hard but isn't that what it's designed for. I don't want to have to wait half an hour for the damn thing to cool down before I can use it again.

The second issue is that a ford awd engineer has been talking on the ford forums regarding the system. If you're willing to leave the car 100% stock, then you'll be fine. So long as you won't get bored with that power it's all good.
If you do wish to mod it then you're pretty much all out of luck. He confirmed that the engine can be tuned just like every other engine but the awd system is at full power capacity already. The rear will not allow itself to receive any more power than the 70% it already receives of 350bhp. These are hardware limitations and cannot be over ridden by software.
Any extra power you give the car will be sent straight to the front wheels, ruining the dynamics of the car. The car is at its best state of tune completely stock.

That is quite a big game changer for me personally

Reactions: veeeight
Went to enquire about one of these Monday. Currently there is a year wait for one with a £1000 deposit straight away.

Very disappointed with the salesman, you can only order these through fordstore dealerships so your local ford probably isn't going to be able to get one. Long story short the guy could not be bothered to sell me the car, quoted a monthly price on finance, didn't give me the chance to query options or have a print out of the figures.. May be just the one dealership but because they are doing so well (sold 3000 already apparently) the guys just wasn't bothered! I think he said interest was 8% on pcp :blink:

Anyway went to Audi had great service and a deposit has been put on a s3 saloon.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, kanecullen89 and Gazwould