Follower with a hole in it = nice round camshaft and f***ed Hpfp

Craig Cull

Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
A customer with a 2.0 TFSI Quattro A3 came to see me last week with loss of power under boost. 3 faults through vagcom, fuel pressure control range not reached, fuel pressure too low and camshaft position sensor signal high intermittent.

Everything was pointing at the Hpfp especially after he told me the can follower had recently been replaced and showed me a picture of a cylinder.... Yes that was the old follower with nothing on either end of it.

So, seens I have a grave yard of TFSI engines, I managed to sort out a new revision inlet camshaft and and a used Hpfp.

After being given the go ahead from the customer and agreeing we would also fit the revised pick up pipe at the same time, I stripped the top end and found this....

After new camshaft, chain and tensioner installed

And a quick pick of the pick up pipe...

Although the revised part is different to the A4, it definitely needed changing.

Car back together and pulls sweet all the way through the rev range. Not to mention all 3 faults removed.

I realise it isn't an A4 (for the clever dicks) but I thought I would share my experience with this, not to mention the price! Job lot done for £677 inc parts, labour and vat. Started Friday evening and left Saturday afternoon. Beat that Audi! Haha!
Even with new parts, £1017 inc vat.

Nice one :) Is it a longer job on the A4 tho because of the retarded engine oriantation?
I still need my chain doing ;)

Nice one :) Is it a longer job on the A4 tho because of the retarded engine oriantation?
I still need my chain doing ;)
It's just more of an awkward job tbh, all this was done quite easily. 2 poster ramp job for the A4 (pick up) the chains a pain but can be done. That's why I asked about your clutch etc. If I was doing enough on the engine I would probably just whip it out to do it for the time it takes.

ive had the clutch done now. just searching about for best price for chain and tens to be done

A customer with a 2.0 TFSI Quattro A3 came to see me last week with loss of power under boost. 3 faults through vagcom, fuel pressure control range not reached, fuel pressure too low and camshaft position sensor signal high intermittent.

Everything was pointing at the Hpfp especially after he told me the can follower had recently been replaced and showed me a picture of a cylinder.... Yes that was the old follower with nothing on either end of it.

So, seens I have a grave yard of TFSI engines, I managed to sort out a new revision inlet camshaft and and a used Hpfp.

After being given the go ahead from the customer and agreeing we would also fit the revised pick up pipe at the same time, I stripped the top end and found this....

After new camshaft, chain and tensioner installed

And a quick pick of the pick up pipe...

Although the revised part is different to the A4, it definitely needed changing.

Car back together and pulls sweet all the way through the rev range. Not to mention all 3 faults removed.

I realise it isn't an A4 (for the clever dicks) but I thought I would share my experience with this, not to mention the price! Job lot done for £677 inc parts, labour and vat. Started Friday evening and left Saturday afternoon. Beat that Audi! Haha!
Even with new parts, £1017 inc vat.
thanks craig first class service

I'll get you a price together mate.

its going to be better than audi by a mile anyway mate. i just dnt like to keep kassling you cos you are such a busy bee!! lol.
i already have a pickup pipe in box btw. im happy to supply parts also if its easier.

its going to be better than audi by a mile anyway mate. i just dnt like to keep kassling you cos you are such a busy bee!! lol.
i already have a pickup pipe in box btw. im happy to supply parts also if its easier.
It's upto you mate, I have an account with TPS so either can be done, I've got a lot in at the moment, when would you be wanting to get it done roughly?

It's upto you mate, I have an account with TPS so either can be done, I've got a lot in at the moment, when would you be wanting to get it done roughly?

Well I have a guy here about 20 mins away from me whos savvy with chain and tensioner replacement also so it makes more sense to go 20 mins down the roa than all way upto leeds i guess.
However when im your way next for the pickup pipe to be replaced if you can do that at some point for me?

Well I have a guy here about 20 mins away from me whos savvy with chain and tensioner replacement also so it makes more sense to go 20 mins down the roa than all way upto leeds i guess.
However when im your way next for the pickup pipe to be replaced if you can do that at some point for me?
If you have a guy round the corner mate, I'd say use him, it's not a 5 minute job that's all.

I find it quite hard to believe they make basic errors like these in engines these days, chocolate cams should be a thing of the past. If there is that much pressure on the contact surface they should have fitted a roller follower or correctly specified the material and hardening process in the first place.

Because they want to rush rush rush. And win every engine award. And when the cars come out of warranty us sad people have to fix or the f ups to put it bluntly. Because its all well and good till the warranty leaves the vehicle.

:wtf:Audi has a net revenue of 55.2 billion dollars..... thats why lol. 95% of that probably being labour after warrant costs lmao

I have got a spare revision 'B' cam off a mk5 golf GTI (axx engine code)
Part number 06F 109 101 B

I find it quite hard to believe they make basic errors like these in engines these days, chocolate cams should be a thing of the past. If there is that much pressure on the contact surface they should have fitted a roller follower or correctly specified the material and hardening process in the first place.
The revised cam has been available for sometime now, but it's down to not replacing the follower. Had a new follower been in place the cam would have probably lasted a lot longer. This camshaft was found in the early BGB and AXX engine codes, usually pre 2006.