Folks Is the S4 Convertible Good ???

I

imported_S_Line

As i tried the 3.0 Cabro last year and it was far too slow

I bought a Impreza WR1 in the end at 30K

And sold it after 10 months and now own a A3 3.2 Quattro S-Line DSG

Now the Dealer had a S4 Cabro for me to Try - but i refused as i know it would be better, but i could not afford the price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Its on my Hit LIst for next car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peeps can you inform me as to how good it really is ?

Probably a bit late to reply, but here goes. I have an S4 Cab which replaced a Boxster S last summer. The S4 is far more comfortable & practical, and feels slightly quicker when working up through the gears - at least in a straight line. The downside is that the steering (like most Audis) is really uncommunicative, but the tyre grip is immensive, so you learn to deal with it. Handling & cornering are OK, but not great - it's definitely a case of slow in & fast out, whereas with the Porsche you'd just blat around corners without braking. Fuel consumption is horrendous - if you average over 20pmg, you're doing well - it drops as low as 11 in town. However, it loves 98 RON & consumes much less at that grade, but it's hard to find in the UK (ran it on that in France recently). Overall, it's a pretty good car, but more of a boulevard / motorway cruiser than a true sports car. It has a decent turn of speed and a lovely sounding engine (pity they didn't offer a sports exhaust option at the dealers) but lacks the driver's edge you'd get in a Porsche or BMW.

My saloon doesn't get more than an average of 20mpg and it's run on Optimax all the time.

If you want to release the sound then you need to get a Milltek fitted. I have the whole system and I love it to bits!!

I agree with your points but if you bought it expecting Porsche handling with a V8 at the front and a fairly hefty car then I guess you'd never be over the moon with it.

With regards BMW, yep less involving/entertaining but I bet you'd get there quicker in the S4.

Are you happy with it? Your post comes over as though it's a bit of a disappointment to you.

Incidently Audi weren't originally going to do an S4 cab as the cab and the "S" don't really go together. It was purely the market forces demanding one that meant they did.

Auto Express is where I saw the information, dates according to the article for B7 cab release is Spring 2007, so if S4 can anything like last time it'll be out on the streets next summer. Looks like a B7 saloon with fabric roof, light clusters are identical this time as opposed to the B6 where the rears light were a bit more shapely on the cab. Interior stays the same except availability of mutimedia steering wheel............. wonder if that would fit in a B6??

Don't know if that's too far off for you but took into account you were looking next year anyway.

'I haven't located any yet. I think there's only about a dozen across the country. The nearest to me is about 15miles away so for now I'll stick to Shell. However if it comes to my local Tesco at 85ish ppl and I can get 5p a litre vouchers for spending in store then I'd be hard pressed to resist.'

I like you're thinking ScoTTy, plus coupled to a Tesco Finest Platinum card with Air Miles and petrol vouchers for spending at a Tesco petrol stations, its a far better deal than Pluspoints and a Shell Visa Card. I'm just hoping there are enough people out there taking advantage of 99 RON to make Tesco say yes to national roll out. Especially at 5p/litre cheaper than Optimax from my sources who have seen it on sale.

To answer the question.............. In a word.......... Not in my book! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Just Plain Old, what's your beef with the S4 Cab? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well............. I was lent one by the dealer for a couple of days, to compare throttle problems (don't ask), and quite frankly compared to my, admittedly modified, normal car shaped version,,, it was rather dull, unresponsive and did not handle as well. Just plain disappointing!

Granted the handling is a bit naff and the ride skittish because the chassis is so stiff to compensate for lack of tin top, but you have to admit it is one of the best built best sounding open top tourers you could have?

Like you I wanted better perfomance, handling and decent rear seats so I went for the saloon

If any one is after one, let me know.

2004 Brilliant Red Cab with 14k miles. One owner who's a advanced driving instructor so it's in great shape.