Folding mirrors packed up

redbutcher

Reaction score
Hmm - that's not good. Car is 2 months old and got my first fault.

My drivers side folding mirror has decided it's got a mind of its own. It started folding only half way in and has now stopped folding completely. I ran vagcom through it and it's saying there is an electrical fault with the motor.

Anyway it's booked in next Friday to get sorted - I've also come across some other errors which could be due to the RNS-E retrofit (one of which is the standard aerial problem), so I think I'll get them to clear those as well and see if they reappear.

I'm hoping this isn't the start of many trips to the stealer.....

redbutcher said:
- I've also come across some other errors which could be due to the RNS-E retrofit

I hope you ain't serious! I've just had this retrofitted! Why do you think the RNS-E could have caused problems? And which ones exactly?

redbutcher said:

My drivers side folding mirror has decided it's got a mind of its own. It started folding only half way in and has now stopped folding completely. I ran vagcom through it and it's saying there is an electrical fault with the motor.

Anyway it's booked in next Friday to get sorted - I've also come across some other errors which could be due to the RNS-E retrofit (one of which is the standard aerial problem), so I think I'll get them to clear those as well and see if they reappear.

Prepare to be amazed when they

a) dont believe you (technican unable to replicate fault)
b) replicate the fault and then fix **** all
c) order new parts, fit new parts and fix **** all
d) still have ongoing problems two years later

I have the same problem with my drivers side electric folding mirror, sometimes it folds all the way out, other times it only decides it wants to fold halfway out!

that's way I fold mine by hand!! lolololol

I am in the clear for faults.... so far!!

Pedro

sat1983 said:
I hope you ain't serious! I've just had this retrofitted! Why do you think the RNS-E could have caused problems? And which ones exactly?

Don't worry mate :) - I'm sure they're nothing to worry about - I'm just getting some incorrect coding issues and they're all pointing to the date I retrofitted the RNS-E. I'm sure a clearing of the faults will sort them out.

jmohide - you not had it looked at then?

Truthfully I haven't got around to getting it looked at yet as haven't got to Audi yet as not really major problem just annoying! Probably going to see them this weekend though to get my radio code issue sorted so will ask them then.

redbutcher said:

I thought I had ordered my car with the Trouble-Free Pack option but they forgot to fit it. My driver's mirror packed up too. Replaced motor and it has been better if still slower than the passenger side. Has always folded out fully eventually. To show the dealer, I took car the car there with the mirror only half folded out, which hopefully helped as there was no further debate.

You made it to two months? Well done!

Mine was at the dealer with problems with the offside mirror within a few weeks of ownership.

They replaced the motor.

Still broke (it didn't work properly when I tried it in front of technician after it was "fixed" - :gun2:

They replaced the door switchy thing.

Better, but still sometimes fails to unfold. Nearside does this occaisonally also.

Can't be bothered to hassle them over it any more!

Wait till you get to 5 months and you'll need a new steering rack. Audi they get away with it? :lmfao:

the mirror folding controller isnt very smart - it basically just powers the mirrors for a set time and later ones (might) have a motor stall detector. if the mirrors are stiff the module times before the mirror is fully moved.

although the motors, controller or switch can fail, the hinges seem prone to fill with grit and sand as well - mine were going slower and slower and sometimes not at all - i moved the glass up to the top position then prized out the lens from the bottom with my fingers. next spray lots and lots of that silicone lubricant onto the hinge/motor assembly inside the mirror housing until it was dripping out of the mirror bottom, then fold the mirrors in and spray again, then out, spray and in, spray again a couple more times.

after this treatment mine move in about 1/4 of the original time and havnt stuck or faltered since.

press the mirror lens back in and re-adjust to position.

hope it works for others

Mine did that too (driver's side). Sometimes open, sometimes not. Marvellous!

Welcome to Audi quality...

dunk said:
the mirror folding controller isnt very smart - it basically just powers the mirrors for a set time and later ones (might) have a motor stall detector. if the mirrors are stiff the module times before the mirror is fully moved.

although the motors, controller or switch can fail, the hinges seem prone to fill with grit and sand as well - mine were going slower and slower and sometimes not at all - i moved the glass up to the top position then prized out the lens from the bottom with my fingers. next spray lots and lots of that silicone lubricant onto the hinge/motor assembly inside the mirror housing until it was dripping out of the mirror bottom, then fold the mirrors in and spray again, then out, spray and in, spray again a couple more times.

after this treatment mine move in about 1/4 of the original time and havnt stuck or faltered since.

press the mirror lens back in and re-adjust to position.

hope it works for others

Thanks for this - might do this anyway before taking the car in to see if it helps.

dunk said:
i moved the glass up to the top position then prized out the lens from the bottom with my fingers.

Dunk am I correct in thinking I need to remove the glass out of the mirror?