1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Folding mirrors on remote and on door switch solved

Troubs12 Dec 6, 2014

1. Troubs12

Troubs12 Registered User

Pics to follow

Hello again whilst i was trolling around eBay for bits for my Park assist retrofit i found a set of wing mirrors on there and figured "im gonna be doing the front end again soon anyway" so i bought them only to find that they're auto dimming and folding RESULT!. Anyway i took a break from swapping out steering racks, abs units and brake lines etc so had my mate spray the caps, fitted the mirrors along with new door control units (though didn't actually need them ah well) ran a few wires through each A piller fitted the switch after waiting for the trims to come off back order.

After wiring it all up i found that they didn't fold on the remote which is a massive oversight in my opinion but anyway i did some searching and sent a few messages with no replies. I found a German wiring diagram in another post and got myself the famous "361 relay" and wired it as close to the diagram as possible bypassing the door ecu and wiring direct hence ecu not really needed as i could have ran a wire for the indicator, never mind they're in now.

After finding the live and earth to the mirrors was the wrong way around ie lock fold out unlock fold in and swapping them it worked on the remote but not the switch as the motors weren't connected to it anymore. I also found i'd put the signal wire onto the lock/unlock signal and not the safe wire so my lock button would fold them in DOH!!!!

This was bugging the f"£k out of me for a while and one night i thought "sod it can't be bothered to think about it now" and whist relaxing with tut xbox it hit me SWITCHING RELAYS.

I found that when the signal wire on the 361 relay goes open circuit the mirrors fold in and when wire is put to earth they fold out. So as i stupidly wired the signal wire to the wrong wire i came up with a circuit based on ignition live (15) that would fix my mistake and also restore the use of the switch in the door card using two 395 or 646 relays and modifying the mirror switch using some conductive tape, glue, and some wire.

the circuit,
    when the keys out the lock/unlock signal controls the mirrors going via one of the relays for eg relay 1 is in its closed position.

when the ignition is switched on relay 1 fed by terminal 15 switches and diverts the signal from the door lock sends it through into relay 2 and passes through it in its closed position to earth keeping the mirrors folded out so i can use the lock button if i like and they stay out.

Lastly i needed the mirror switch to supply an earth for relay 2 so it would switch the signal from earth to open circuit. I took the mirror switch apart and found the bottom right part of the round contact needed covering for protection as i didn't want to short the switch out. I want to say at this point that this is only a temp solution i'll revisit this eventually and come up with something more hard wearing. What i needed was something to provide a coating on top of the pcb so i could lay two contacts on top and as the switch has a soft spring inside it would cut through it so i carefully put 2 small dabs of Q-Bond over the contacts then spread it over the right side giving plenty of time to dry and testing with a meter for a circuit finding none. Then i got some sticky back foil tape that we're using on a Touran recall atm carefully cut two pieces long enough to go to each contact and down the side of the switch then fitting them rebuilding the switch attaching two wires to the tape one cutting into to pin 2 (earth) and one running down to the wire waiting in the a pillar and connecting the other side to relay 2 earth.

ALL that done tested and remote mirrors, lock button doesnt fold the mirrors when ignitions on and the switch folds the mirrors in also just to add i find they work better this way as there was a delay in moving the switch to the mirrors moving and now its obviously as soon as you move the switch they go.

i'll be posting more later but wanted to get this done now i'll probably be moving the signal to the safe wire tomorrow if i can find the energy to go looking for it i'll modify the diagram acordingly.

Hope this helps someone and hopefully people can put the information to good use.

Attached Files:

ndee97 and AudiA3JJ like this.
  2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. AudiA3JJ

AudiA3JJ Registered User

That all seems v impressive..any pics of the modified door switch or diagrams?

4. Troubs12

Troubs12 Registered User

I'm currently working on some pics but to be honest I don't fancy taking the mirror switch apart again as it's all back together I do have my old one to use for pics though tbh I'm probably better off doing something in paint or something like that I'll post it as soon as it's ready

5. Ash187

Ash187 Registered User Gold Supporter VCDS Map User

im a bit lost as to why you used the 395 relays, I'm pretty sure the mirror switch on the door cards don't use normal 'wiring' contacts and instead is controlled by the cars canbus to fold when its set to 6 o'clock.
    I am too working on a way of getting the mirrors to fold both on a switch and the 361 relay on lock, so far i have it folding on lock perfectly, the switch is more of a tricky one.

6. Troubs12

Troubs12 Registered User

Too be honest I wired the signal wire to the 361 on the locked/unlocked wire (pin 3) rather than the safe one so when I pressed the button on the door card they'd fold so I made a bit of a boo boo. I used 395 relays because I wanted a relay to send the signal one way when closed and another when activated ie terminal 15 to fix my mistake. However I also found that if the signal wire goes open circuit then the mirrors fold in so using another 395 I could run the signal through it in its closed position and have it activated by the switch when turned to 6 o clock so I modified the switch so i could use the 6 o clock contact independently. Once I'd done that I spurred a earth from the switch itself and put it to one side of the contact and had another wire on the other going to the relay to supply the earth if that makes sense it is Monday morning lol hopefully we'll go quiet in work today and I can post some pics of what I did to the switch to better explain

7. Troubs12

Troubs12 Registered User

Oh sorry I ment to say I used 395 relays as I changed the ops a while ago and had some laying around

8. Troubs12

Troubs12 Registered User

Sorry more awake now I've just re read your post and can hopefully explain how the switch works

"im a bit lost as to why you used the 395 relays, I'm pretty sure the mirror switch on the door cards don't use normal 'wiring' contacts and instead is controlled by the cars canbus to fold when its set to 6 o'clock."

The mirror switch in the door card isn't on the can network it works by using different resistors to vary the voltage coming out of it and the door control unit is told what to do by the voltage it receives just like the window switch. The knob has a to pieces of metal inside the rotate selecting different resistors. Now what I did was find out which one was at 6 o clock and sealed in that side of the circuit allowing me to place some "normal wiring" on top so there's no interaction between the two and also uses the existing contact. The only thing different is that if the switch is at 6 the measured value block won't read "fold in" im in the process of putting some pics together to show what I mean

What i've done is

9. Troubs12

Troubs12 Registered User

vid link to show operation

Pergan likes this.
  10. pburv

pburv Registered User

Do they unfold automatically when you start the car?

11. Troubs12

Troubs12 Registered User

No they unfold when I unlock it on the remote but in the event that they wouldn't it's set up so when the ignitions on they would fold out

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. TomSx

TomSx Registered User

That's awesome. Although I have folding mirrors, what you've posted is alien to me..lol

Troubs12 likes this.
  14. Troubs12

Troubs12 Registered User

To be honest mate I need to set aside some time to translate whats in my head into readable English lol just finished a front sensor install guide for another user just need to write up self park then ill do this one haha

15. ndee97

ndee97 Registered User

waooww..that's amazing, i'm actually in this trouble, with wiring of my S3, for find how to do this..you have the key.. so about your wiring it's finish??

16. Ash187

right so it is working well from what i see, well done! i have a slightly more simple way of doing that same thing but still well done!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    Pergan and AudiA3JJ like this.
  17. ndee97

ndee97 Registered User

Oh great.. So Ash187 how to do.. Can you tell me what I need?

18. Ash187

Troubs12 likes this.
  19. Troubs12

Troubs12 Registered User

Sorry posted on the other thread by mistake that's a very cool looking switch I'd have done the same but I've no spaces left i had to get the mirror switch working as the only switch left would have been suspension but I wired in a gate remote to that ages ago. How did you come up with the "slightly more simple way" mate?

20. hollows wife

hollows wife Registered User

where did you get the switch or did you do the logo yourself ?

21. Ash187

22. hollows wife

hollows wife Registered User

cheers ash for link :)

23. Troubs12

Troubs12 Registered User

Ash isn't that the same vid as before? I was hoping to see that cool switch in operation