Fogs on with high beam

Seantdi

Reaction score
Anyone know if it's possible to program my fog lights to come on when I switch on my high beams and back off when I dim?
Have access to vcds!
Thanks in advance ..

As that would be illegal to drive with in most if not all countries, I'd doubt if VW Group would have planned that option to exist.

Any clues as to why you want to do this?

Not illegal on high beams.
Just want extra light on the road while driving.
Why I want them to only be on high beam only is not to be dazzling other drivers.
It's available to do on the mk7 platform cars

Very strange, fog lights should never ever be causing dazzling for oncoming drivers, fog lights should be aligned, and checked at MOT time to be only filling in the near field area, even closer than dipped beams do, so why use/need them along with high beams currently beats me, enlighten me please.

So if they don't dazzle oncoming drivers why is it illegal to use them all the time?
You answered your own question mate. They show extra light where the main beams don't!

I can't say, only "the rules are written like that" - unless someone knows other ways.

Edit:- it has been so long since I've needed to use front fog lights for their intended purpose that common sense would demand that when you need to use front fog lights, the dipped beams should be off to reduce the amount of light being bounced back from the fog - which is why the fog lights point so far down in the first place.

Another Edit:- remember that these cars either have twin headlights or HIDs so the dip and main should be on at the same time, now if you only have filament twin head lights and you switch on the fog lights, that is quite a lot of power being consumed, maybe 6 X 55Watts?

Last edited:
I can't say, only "the rules are written like that" - unless someone knows other ways.

Edit:- it has been so long since I've needed to use front fog lights for their intended purpose that common sense would demand that when you need to use front fog lights, the dipped beams should be off to reduce the amount of light being bounced back from the fog - which is why the fog lights point so far down in the first place.

Another Edit:- remember that these cars either have twin headlights or HIDs so the dip and main should be on at the same time, now if you only have filament twin head lights and you switch on the fog lights, that is quite a lot of power being consumed, maybe 6 X 55Watts?

Seriously who cares? He’s asking for fogs to go on with main beams. Therefore they’d only be on when the use of said main beams is warranted/acceptable. Which means they aren’t going to bother anyone else.

@Seantdi
rlarsen;35820 said:
Front Fog Lights stay on with High-beams[09 – Cent. Elect.]
[Coding - 07] -> [Long Coding Helper] -> Byte 4
Bit 1 - Change 1 to 0

Taken from here:

https://forums.ross-tech.com/showth...ghts-when-the-headlights-turn-on-(Audi-B8-8T)

Reactions: Seantdi
Seriously who cares? He’s asking for fogs to go on with main beams. Therefore they’d only be on when the use of said main beams is warranted/acceptable. Which means they aren’t going to bother anyone else.

@Seantdi

Taken from here:

https://forums.ross-tech.com/showth...ghts-when-the-headlights-turn-on-(Audi-B8-8T)
Cheers mate. I'll give that a go.
After fitting new lenses to my headlights and also a set of osram xenarc nightbreaker lasers.
Serious difference than the old standard bulbs..

Anyone ever fit led bulbs in the fogs?
Guessing you would get a bulb error on the dash?
Also would it effect the cornering light as they kind of fade out when you straighten up the wheels?

Cheers mate. I'll give that a go.
After fitting new lenses to my headlights and also a set of osram xenarc nightbreaker lasers.
Serious difference than the old standard bulbs..

Anyone ever fit led bulbs in the fogs?
Guessing you would get a bulb error on the dash?
Also would it effect the cornering light as they kind of fade out when you straighten up the wheels?

Depends on the bulb. You can code out bulb errors on VCDS and I’d imagine you can switch on/off the fade effect.

I know there’s a lot of options across all of the lighting functions with VCDS. Just a case of googling for them.

Reactions: Seantdi