Foggy Headlight

Jake Baxter

Reaction score
Had an error popup today. DRL/Sidelight bulb fault. Got out the car and my headlight is wet inside. DRL not working but everything else is. Any ideas to get it going again? Currently trying to dry it out with a heater
de4e5322f358eca39bc19382a99bd3f4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Had an error popup today. DRL/Sidelight bulb fault. Got out the car and my headlight is wet inside. DRL not working but everything else is. Any ideas to get it going again? Currently trying to dry it out with a heater
de4e5322f358eca39bc19382a99bd3f4.jpg

There's been posts here about condensation in lights... But that's a LOT more than I've seen before personally.

With regards to drying, see if you have any silica gel packs from anything and put them in there (somewhere safe) too

Reactions: Audi Bairn
There's been posts here about condensation in lights... But that's a LOT more than I've seen before personally.

With regards to drying, see if you have any silica gel packs from anything and put them in there (somewhere safe) too
I can't figure out how to get into the headlight. Or id get it nice and warm from the inside.

I can't figure out how to get into the headlight. Or id get it nice and warm from the inside.

No caps on the back? If they're not led, all I know is there for sure is the small cap for the indicator bulb... Not a huge opening, but should allow you to warm the inside gently

Reactions: Jassyo06
No caps on the back? If they're not led, all I know is there for sure is the small cap for the indicator bulb... Not a huge opening, but should allow you to warm the inside gently
Sadly they're Xenon. So no indicator bulb. Managed to warm it through and get rid of the condensation, but no luck yet with getting the DRL running again

Sadly they're Xenon. So no indicator bulb. Managed to warm it through and get rid of the condensation, but no luck yet with getting the DRL running again

You still have an indicator on Xenon :p Mine are xenon too, if you look in the front there you'll see it.

Good to hear it has dried up though. Shame on the DRL :( It might have got into the connection somehow and shorted it out?

You still have an indicator on Xenon Mine are xenon too, if you look in the front there you'll see it.

Good to hear it has dried up though. Shame on the DRL :( It might have got into the connection somehow and shorted it out?
Hmmm. My indicator doesn't look like a bulb. More of an LED strip like the DRL?

Hmmm. My indicator doesn't look like a bulb. More of an LED strip like the DRL?

You do have a bulb in the indicator housing..... A hairdryer is your best bet at totally drying out the headlight enclosure have to tried unplugging the unit whilst the ignition is off take the unit out

Reactions: azibux1
You do have a bulb in the indicator housing..... A hairdryer is your best bet at totally drying out the headlight enclosure have to tried unplugging the unit whilst the ignition is off take the unit out
Is taking the light out not a bumper off job? That's what elsawin suggested

Is taking the light out not a bumper off job? That's what elsawin suggested

The headlights should be accessible by taking the plastic inner arch out in the wheel well these are just clipped in place. But you would need to take the wheel off

The headlights should be accessible by taking the plastic inner arch out in the wheel well these are just clipped in place. But you would need to take the wheel off
So I can take the headlight totally off the car without removing the bumper?

So I can take the headlight totally off the car without removing the bumper?

That l can't be 100% sure of mate but by taking the inner arch out you'll soon find out lol, l can't see why Audi would make such a design/maintenance faux pas, l have previously taken the inner arches off to get at the headlights in other makes of cars, so l don't see Audi being any different
the headlights are directly in front of the wheel well/ behind the bumper

Bumper needs to either come off or moved forward and down significantly to remove the headlight unit.
My brother is an Audi technician, he said he’s fed up doing headlights that have fubar’d because of condensation and water ingress.