Fog Lights/Reverse light issue Audi A3 8P

jp97x

Reaction score
Hello,

Recently I have noticed when going into reverse my rear fog lights are activating and when I activate my fog lights its my reverse lights coming on.

I have had it checked via VCDS and the person checking couldn't see an issue (will post central electronics coding soon if needed), I have also compared the wiring to a wiring diagram for the cluster and it seems correct.

Any ideas on what could cause this as I could do with fixing the issue before it goes in for an MOT.

It is an Audi A3 8p 2008 automatic (UK)
The cluster in question is within the tailgate and not affecting the other cluster with brake lights and indicators.

Thanks

Update: took it to a garage and they can't find any of the common issues

Hello,

Recently I have noticed when going into reverse my rear fog lights are activating and when I activate my fog lights its my reverse lights coming on.

I have had it checked via VCDS and the person checking couldn't see an issue (will post central electronics coding soon if needed), I have also compared the wiring to a wiring diagram for the cluster and it seems correct.

Any ideas on what could cause this as I could do with fixing the issue before it goes in for an MOT.

It is an Audi A3 8p 2008 automatic (UK)
The cluster in question is within the tailgate and not affecting the other cluster with brake lights and indicators.

Thanks
I know these cars have a problem with the wires chaffing. I had broken and chaffed wires in my drivers door causing all kinds of problems, i reconnected the wires and wrapped them up, I've not had a problem since. That's hopefully not the problem but bare that in mind. I would check for any corrosion in the light unit and then check the wiring last. As the boot opens and shuts the cables move, if they are chaffed they could be making a connection somewhere causing your issue just like my drivers door, so this could be the issue if all else fails. Not a hard job to do as the problem will be right where the boot hinges are as that's where they bend. I hope this helps and good luck.