Fog lights as spot lights?

rory21388

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This might be a bit of a daft question but I cant find the answer anywhere!

Long story short my A3 didn't come with front fog lights and I am planning on retrofitting them.

However I was contemplating wiring them up to the full beam and using them as spot lights rather than fog lights.

I know that not having front fog lights is not an mot fail however my question is if you have "fog lights" or lights where the fog lights should be do they have to work as fog lights? In other words would wiring them up to the full beam be an mot fail?

Thanks,

Rory

You can call them main beams and wire them to the main beam switch - there's no minimum height on main beams and you can have any number as long as they're in matched pairs. If they're on the main beam switch then they are main beams not fogs.

You can call them main beams and wire them to the main beam switch - there's no minimum height on main beams and you can have any number as long as they're in matched pairs. If they're on the main beam switch then they are main beams not fogs.

Thanks Flibble.

To be honest I am not too fussed about having fog lights but I think the car looks unfinished without them. Especially given that the grills look like they should have fog lights! I figured if they were wired up to the full beam they would be a little more useful than actual fog lights!

If you are going to use the foglight wired through main beam it would then be classed as an optional/additional light with little regulation about position etc. Only thing i would say is that the beam it will throw out will not be focused like a spot and will only illuminate a few yards in front of the car and to either side, pretty much useless if you are trying to see further down the road. If you want a better main beam it may be worth trying to source actual spots which would fit in the apertures.

If you are going to use the foglight wired through main beam it would then be classed as an optional/additional light with little regulation about position etc. Only thing i would say is that the beam it will throw out will not be focused like a spot and will only illuminate a few yards in front of the car and to either side, pretty much useless if you are trying to see further down the road. If you want a better main beam it may be worth trying to source actual spots which would fit in the apertures.

Stevie,

I wasnt aware that you can get actual spots that fit the apertures. That certainly sounds like a better idea. Does anyone know where I could get a set like this?