Focals installed - sound quality

MixedUp

Reaction score
hi, had some Focal 165VR splits and an amp installed and I'm finding the sound is not as loud as the OEM set up and not as punchy. I really need to turn up the sound on the head unit to get it to the level I usually have it on. Also noticed that if I fade the sound to the front so that only the focals are on the sound is shocking, and I basically need to have the rears on to improve the sound (aprox 60/40 split). Any ideas why this would be the case or what would be causing it?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Maybe some info would be helpful. What car, what stock system (Bose or non), what amp etc?

sorry mate, car is Audi A3 8p and was originally non bose concert 2008

currently running pioneer h/u f10bt , focal amp, Focal 165VR splits (6.5 on doors and tweeters). Door now also has sound deadening.
Prior was running f10bt through stock speakers without an amp.
Amp doesn't seem to be adding anything.

had an audio place install it an assumed they would have adjusted everything correctly. Do you think this would rectify the issue, wouldn't the sound be better anyway with an amp? I did notice the rears were conciderably louder than previously. What would be the standard gain adjustment an would it improve the sound quality not just the volume?

cheers..

Silly question but you have a lot of EQ & staging settings on that HU, are you sure these haven't been switched off or reset since the speaker amp upgrade? Not sure if the HU remembers all settings if it's disconnected from the battery, which I assume was done when the amp was added. If the HU resets to a flat EQ this would make it sound dreadful. Also what settings were defined on the amp? Is it set to full range or has a high pass been introduced. You really can only afford a high pass config if you have a proper sub installed. Do you have a proper sub or are you suffering the hideous tupperware crap Audi seem to thing befits a prestige brand?
How were the focals installed? Flimsy plastic adapter rings or proper MDF ones?

the sound wouldn't necessarily be much better with an amp than with a good HU internal amp, which the Pioneer has. It only really makes a big difference at higher volume levels or with a lot of bass, when the internal constraints on a HU amp will struggle with the power delivery and distort. The only time I've noticed a big improvement at normal listening levels is when adding a Genesis amp which really did transform the sound. But ultimately a badly setup amped system will sound worse than the standard setup. If you're unhappy then take it back and get them to sort it out.

thanks I'll head back to the store that did the install.. AM is really bad as well - there's a lot of static noice, is there anything I can do about that?

Last edited:
update.
Had the audio place have a listen to the speakers. Looks like there is definately something amiss with the speakers or the set up. The rears sound miles better than the fronts (granted the fronts have greatly improved with the amp). The audio guys agree the sound is totally flat even with the eqp and there is no mid range or bass whatsoever just a very flat dry sound esp evident when fading to the front and switching off the sub. Also looks like the only way to fix the AM/FM issue will be a new antena.

No, you just need an antenna amp adapter. Audi feed the 12v supply to the aerial up the coax on the aerial lead, so you need an adapter to do the same using the 12v power antenna feed on the Pioneer.

thanks AndyMac, had a couple of different installers try 2 different antena adapters and both seem to cause static intereference. FM isn't too bad I get the occassional stereo drop out/static but AM constanty has static. The alternative seems to be to stick a small antenna on the top of the back window (on the inside), apparenty it will be well hidden and receive FM/AM a lot better than the back demister antenna.

While we're at it my GPS signal seems to be about 10/15 mtrs off constantly. The GPS receiver is mounted under the dash away from the unit. Do you think the dash would somehow be interfering with the GPS signal and keeping it costantly back? When I correct it it still seems to want to track 10/15 mtrs behind. I find my TomTom is a lot more accurate than the Pioneer.

Had nothing but dramas with this install..

Thanks.