Fob sets off alarm; key does not lock doors

nicnewsdad

Reaction score
2012 A3 sportback. Weird thing happening. Cannot lock car with key. When I try all windows and sunroof open; cannot lock car with fob--when I try alarm goes off. Driving me crazy because car while in a garage is unlocked. Only thought is a wire has broken

Have you referred to the owners manual as there is a section that tells you how to re-sync your key, see below?
Have you tried your spare key?
Have you changed your fob battery and/or had it checked recently?
Screenshot 2022 08 05 103709

Have you referred to the owners manual as there is a section that tells you how to re-sync your key, see below?
Have you tried your spare key?
Have you changed your fob battery and/or had it checked recently?
View attachment 257479
I have 2 key fobs plus the "valet key". Nothing works. I cannot lock or unlock the door with any of the keys because the key will not turn to the left. It will turn to the right but that opens all the windows and the sunroof all at one time, which the manual says is a feature. Neither fob opens or closes--they only turn on alarm.
I think the lock mechanism has broken OR someone nice person tried to break into the car (had a similar thing with another car in same garage but they tried to pry out lock and destroyed door panel). When I insert key, it just does not feel the same as it used to. Not that this would explain the problem with the fob turning on alarms, though maybe there is a connection. Taking car to my trusted mechanic. Just want to be able to lock the car!