foam lances

madmanrsvr

Reaction score
had my a3 for a month now, i have read up about snow foams on the forum so i have a good idea but nobody says about the snow foam lance, has any one tried them as karcher does one for £20 but is it worth paying the extra and buying a good make and where can you get them from, at the moment i just pressure wash before a wash

Yes it's worth every penny in my opinion but make sure you keep the gauze clean inside too

No problems m8. They do a kit with the foam too, but for some unknown reason it will only let you choose the karcher pro fitment and I don't know if this is the same as the home karcher range. I get most of my gear from clean your car too, but the lance isn't in stock on that site at the mo.

Last edited:
Just get a citrus pre wash. Easier, less mess, more effective and no extra costs with buying foam lance etc. Snow foam is an expensive fad.

I can assure you it's definitely not a fad. Try getting dried on bird poo and insects off without it. I thought I'd try it out last year as everyone was on about it and the results were fantastic. Leave the foam on for five minutes and everything rinses off easily. I use juicys own brand of foam which is 14.99 and it last me 6 months at least, and I wash my car quite a lot. Once you've bought the lance it's pretty cheap. Owning an Audi and keeping it serviced is the expensive part so why not spend a few quid to keep it in tip top condition. Each to their own though I suppose.

it is a pain in the *** keeping a black car clean and when you have an audi you have got to keep it shining just for the pose

Reactions: seandom
So you've tried both snow foam and citrus pre wash and compared the results? Because they both do the same thing, citrus without having as much impact on your wax. Snow foam works, but no better than citrus and costs more.

I've tried both, and snow foam simply is not with the cost and hassle.

Op; before going off and spending your cash on a lance do some research on other pre washes. Get some small samples and try them. The money you save if you decide foam isn't the way for you can go to better things to keep your car looking great.

I never said that one was better than the other. I just gave my opinion on what I've used. And to be fair the op asked for an opinion on snow foam and not citrus wash. He also asked where he could buy a lance from. So I sent him the link to help out. You then gave your opinion of citrus wash which I'm sure he'll take in to consideration. So I don't get what the problem is. He'll make his own decision and learn from his findings. You like citrus wash I like foam. They both work in one way or another. So we should both be happy and not force our opinions on anyone else.

Forums are for discussion, you shouldn't take things so personally. I don't agree with your opinion do I've stated mine, I've also challenged your opinion. It's what keeps life interesting.

I don't think I'm the one who's taking it personal. Your the one that's obviously had a bad personal experience using snow foam and was very quick to write off every snow foam product out there by calling it "an expensive fad". So I was merely telling you that it's not. That's like writing off the whole of humanity because of one bad person. But it was never about what me and you liked it was always about finding a lance for the Op. It's ended up all complicated now and I apologize to the Op for making it that way.

Reactions: indianbelters
wow thats kinda spiralled out of control a little. Right then. I am a professional detailer and use both pre-citrus soak and snow foam and IMO they are as good as each other. They kind of do different things as the snow foam due to its foaming properties will soak in deep down on ingrained dirt and crud and loosen it off so that te wash cycle and clay bar are easier to remove the grime. The pre-citrus stuff I use if the car isnt that dirty but it does almost the same. Obviously the snow foam makes more of a mess and thats why afew people have converted to a pre-citrus soak as it leave no mess but snow foam certainly isnt a fad as it does exactly what it states on the tin. And there are alot of lances to choose so make your choice wisely. Brass fittings are obviously more reliable than plastic and always keep tHe lance clean.....I strip mine every now and again to clean it and its never failed me

Reactions: seandom and sidibear
Thanks Brodster that's exactly what I was trying to say. And thanks to you too spirit for letting me know the name of my own lance. I didn't know it was called the autobrite lance pmsl.

Reactions: Sandra
I have always just hand washed my cars but when I got a new car in October I decided to get a snow foam bottle to fit onto my Karcher as I have seen snow foam being used and liked the idea....

One thing to note is its not just a simple case of chucking any old snow foam in the bottle as some of the cheaper foam doesn't really work that well so if you are going to do it make sure you get a decent snow foam as I did start off with some cheaper stuff that didn't really foam up that well but more important didn't stick to the car or lift the dirt very well.

I am sure the guys on here will give you there advice on what foam to buy and I would be interested in what is recommended by them.

Also I ended up buying a brass one rather than a plastic one as they seem to be of a stronger build quality.

thanks for all your info and intresting opions i will try the pre citrus first
thanks again

Crikey.I must be doing something wrong then.Im on my second snow foam lance and over the few years tried the following : Meguiers Hyper Wash, Auto Finesse Avalanche, Valet pro citrus prewash, Valet Pro Advanced Neutral and Ultimate Snow Foam.Have tried them all neat, and to recommended dilutions.The foam is thick and clingy, and left on for at least 5 to ten minutes.Ant bird poo etc is dealt with by using another product.Yet I still find that foaming is only good for loosening dried mud etc....the bodywork is still covered in traffic film and dirt requiring a proper hand two bucket job.Not worth the effort or cost unless dried mud is an issue.I guessthe only alternative is to use a tfr but this removes my protection.

You are expecting too much I think. A pre wash is exactly that. It loosens the dirt before a proper wash. It's not an alternative to a bucket wash. I find that a pre wash makes dirt easier to shift with your mitt, preventing you from inflicting damage onto your paint.
Crikey.I must be doing something wrong then.Im on my second snow foam lance and over the few years tried the following : Meguiers Hyper Wash, Auto Finesse Avalanche, Valet pro citrus prewash, Valet Pro Advanced Neutral and Ultimate Snow Foam.Have tried them all neat, and to recommended dilutions.The foam is thick and clingy, and left on for at least 5 to ten minutes.Ant bird poo etc is dealt with by using another product.Yet I still find that foaming is only good for loosening dried mud etc....the bodywork is still covered in traffic film and dirt requiring a proper hand two bucket job.Not worth the effort or cost unless dried mud is an issue.I guessthe only alternative is to use a tfr but this removes my protection.

Reactions: johnnythepie
i use the power washer to remove the crud before i wash it by hand to make sure there is no crap to be picked up when washing by hand, pre wash should make it easier
i have looked at the citrus but they dont say about putting it in a power washer but use a hand sprayer and that looks hard work lol
any ideas

You hand spray it on and power wash it off after its settled for five minutes or more. You can apply it with a foam bottle from a pressure washer, but it doesn't cling like foam so you'll waste a lot of water and product doing that.

If your looking for a snow foam "chemical guys no touch" is the best stuff I've came across, its a thick foam not your usual cheap watery rubbish. Quite pricey upto other snow foams tho but your probs be better off getting something cheap if its your first time.

Tried all of the lances plus snowfoams and my current favourite is autobrite snowfoam lance and autobrite banana snowfoam.
Wheel cleaner is autoglym clean wheels or autobrite purple rain.

Polish I like poorboys or dodo stuff or Maguires products.

I've used both snow foam and citrus pre wash. I find the citrus pre wash to be slightly more effective. Not much in it but when my snow foam runs out I'll probably sell my lance and stick with the citrus pre wash. The process is just quicker with citrus pre wash.

FWIW I have Chemical Guys No Touch Snow Foam and Valet Pro Citrus Pre Wash. I've also used Valet Pro PH Neutral Snow Foam.

thanks again as i have just ordered citrus and i use autoglym wheels but it dont last long lol

For wheels you are better off with a fallout remover when you need it, and just the citrus and normal shampoo otherwise.

For wheels you are better off with a fallout remover when you need it, and just the citrus and normal shampoo otherwise.

It's a good point. Most wheel cleaners are very acidic. If you can get the wheels cleaned really well, use some wheel sealant then in future use just shampoo mix to wash them it will be a lot better. If you don't have wheel sealant (most people don't :) ) then some ordinary car polish will be better than nothing e.g. Autoglym Super Resin Polish. Basically if it's fine to use on the bodywork it will be fine on wheels.

thanks for all your help guys,
i have use citrus pre wash and it work realy good as all the road salt is a pain in my *** and have to wash it every 2-3 days hurry up summer, i will order that wheel cleaner next as autoglym dont last long

I know I'm a bit late to this,but I'll add my 2p's worth by simply saying that i now don't ever wash my car without 1st snow foaming the car! A lot of people misunderstand the idea behind snow foams and pre washes and seem to expect them to basically do such a good job that they won't have to wash there cars after! If you're in this group then you definitely misunderstand the whole idea of snow foams and "pre wash" type treatments like this, but really the clues in the name "pre wash". Snow foam isn't there to be used as alternative to properly washing your car, it's meant as a 1st stage treatment to aid in successfully washing your car whilst minimising your chances of adding those unsightly swirls and scratches into your paintwork that we all hate!

Basically all snow foam is there for is to loosen up and Lubricate some of the dirt so that it can be safely removed from the paintwork whilst minimising the chances of you picking it up in ya wash mitt and grinding that dirt all over the surface of the paint! It's definitely not meant to replace/stop you having to wash the car, it's just there as an aid to the wash process! You will also get different results with different products and also when you choose to use it.

Like I say though, I now would never wash my car without 1st snow foaming it, and it must be working too because my cousin who's a detailer by trade was using a citrus type per wash until he saw me using the snow foam lance on mine, and he's since looked into it for himself and has subsequently bought himself a foam lance and now foams all his clients cars as far as I know! That's not to say he's totally ditched the citrus products he uses, but there not now his default choice of pre wash.

I am a professional detailer and use both pre-citrus soak and snow foam and IMO they are as good as each other.

+ 1 (not to the pro detailer bit mind you)

I use a pre soak while I'm getting the power washer out, then straight on with snow foam while I get the rest of the stuff out...

I've found using both gives the best start to cleaning any car.

plus, I'm using AS G101 and CG no touch snow foam, and they leave my cars clean enough (during the winter) not to need a full wash each week... which is great in the cold weather! lol

i have taken on your advice and i now use citrus pre wash and power wash all the crap off then hand wash with autoglyn shampoo and that seams to work good but then i do wash it twice a week lol.
I am a bit concerned as people say that the snow foam takes ages to break down when it has been washed off the car and i have a flat drive where the water doesnt drain, can you put any light on this or does it desolve like the pre wash or just take a bit longer as this would be ok.

I've never had any issues with snow foam staying on the ground... although I don't have really thick foam as i believe that is pointless... so mine always dissolves away fine.

this is a recent picture to show what I mean... it's not thick, but does the job perfectly...

6C2DDE83-5505-434C-8B16-8ED6E4C610E2_zpspolob8f8.jpg

foam lance has been ordered and looking forwad to playing with it as by all the rite ups it looks worth it money and thanks for the pics