fmic ona 1.9tdi (AFN)

have you got 1 ,my mates got 1 off a mk4 golf just lying around

No, don't have one. Just wondering if anybody had done this conversion, (without remap, new exhaust & stuff), if it was worth it by itself?:uhm:

I will be doing it soon on my A6 AFN, mainly for the look, dunno if it will have much affect on performance but will see, can't imaging anything too noticable 2bhp?

It also depends on the size, i'm trying to go for something small so that it's volume isn't too much bigger than the original as boost lag will increase the larger the volume of intercooler.

I've sourced one now, it's a stock Ford Focus ST one, nice size, will see how i can go about fitting it.

I didn't realise that size of the intercooler was relatred to boost lag. +1 I.Q. to me! What about just repositioning the original one then, so it's closer to the turbo?

I've got my piping kit and intercooler mounted (front bumper off), will start piping it up soon and get some pics up, Repositioning the old one is alot of work with no real gain, there's not much gain in a fmic unless ur really boosting up and need a larger intercooler and running big BHP, as i sed i'm doing it for the hell of it really, and it's not costing me that much, and it clears some space in the engine bay that i will be using later.

Been searching about and part of my degree envolves turbo charging an engine, anyway i've been doing a bit of research and the current intercooler fitted to most VAG 1.9TDi's AFN AFD 110bhp engines is approx 53% efficient @ cooloing air, the FMIC i've got off a Focus ST is approx 58% efficient, which is a step in the right direction.

As the volume is similar, the effect on lag should be neglegable, tho it's effect on the boost is yet to be seen and whether its more restrictive or less will effect that.

Any potential gains in cooler charge could be wiped out by loss of boost, so will see i guess, but hopefully the re-postioning will increase the cooling effect and give possibly a small gain, but hopefully not lose anything.

Anyway I'm going to start piping up the inlet side as the head will be coming off soon and the turbo is currently off being re-built, so i'll post up some progress pics soon.

Great.. I doubt I'll do this mod on my current car (just about to turn 235k - more concerned with keeping it in one piece)but I'm fully intending the next beasty will be a B6 or B7 tdi q.... so I'm sure it will still be relevant.

So what factors add up to the efficiency of an intercooler?

It's just a figure, basicially you measure the air temp going in, and going out, then simply find the drop, divide by the temp going in x 100 = % efficiency, gotta filter in the Ambient temp as this will affect temp.

I managed to find the figures for both the original intercooler and the ST one, As with new intercoolers the should provide you with thier efficiency ratings tho most, if any, wont, and half the time they don't do much better, only worth getting tried and tested ones from eg forge motorsport, but the forgemotorsport intercooler for £300 only drops intake temp to 39 degrees C as opposed to 51 degrees,, not a huge drop considering that the temp is somewhere around 125 degrees going in, tho none the less it'san improvement and on a highly tuned lump will give 10-20% more power alone, but this is only if u've spent £kkk's on tuning.

Right I've piped it all up provisionally, here's my photo's:

Fitting the intercooler:

31122008085.jpg

31122008086.jpg

31122008088.jpg

31122008087.jpg

Piping it up:

19012009104.jpg

19012009105.jpg

19012009107.jpg

19012009108.jpg

19012009109.jpg

19012009110.jpg

Then to test fit the bumper, make sure nothing fouls anything, (light started to fade at this point so called it a day:

19012009111.jpg

19012009112.jpg

Thats it so far, need a 35mm to 50mm adaptor from the compressor side of the turbo, then when I fit the manifolds and turbo back i'll do the final tightening and fitting of the hose clips as i'll need to make final adjustments with the engine running as it vibrates a fair bit.

Well cool, Keep it comin! I didn't think there'd be much work involved....When do you hope to have it up and running?

Neither did I! until i started it,

Anyway I've had to rip it all out as i'm doing a head re-con and doing a load of other work too and so the front end is off completly,

The aim is to have the car back on the road for april, I have access to a rolling road and will get it done when it's back together.

Are you leaving the original IC in place?
I've seen some of those plastic ram air jobbies on ebay, do you think that would make much difference to the engine bay environment for cooling?

Na the old one is being removed completly, piping gone in it's place.

As for the Ram air jobbies, not seen em before? but anything which helps fresh cool airflow to the intercooler is good. The main issue is not the feed to it but after it, there's a mod on TT's and the like, a vent in the inner wheel arch liner to help draw through more air.

But this is only any good if the fuelling has been increased, as cooler denser air is only any use if there's more fuel to burn with it, as diesels end to run really lean as standard re-map or at the least a tuning box to alter fueling will help.

Just been looking at the pics of your engine and the layout looks different to mine. Is yours an AFN? It may just be as you've moved things around a bit?

Yup It's an AFN, In the A6 it's mounted longways, has slightly different inlet manifolds and exhaust but is the same lump and head, the ancillaries may be different tho.

Hey is good to read what your doing to you car. Im new to diesels but have been into petrol turbos for years now! Been researching lots to find out how to gain more power as i fitted a 'Tunit box' and filter and now crave more than just a 'cheat' power upgrade (this is what a tunit box basically does) Anyway im about to do similar to yourself as i've just got hold of a 'PD150 FMIC' that needs mounting. Just need pipework and stuff but am in no rush as im looking for some PD130 injectors and a bigger turbo, possibly a Hybrid if the missus lets me lol. I want 240bhp and 320lb/ft torque. Keep up the work mate, good to see!

Thanks, She comes on the road in a few days, should be able to rolling road it soon and see what she's running.
I too have a tunit thingy which is adjustable, perhaps i'll mess about with it on the RR and see what i can get.
Oh and got a 50 shot of NOS to try at some point.

Is your A6 on the road yet mate? Had my car rolling roaded at torque of the devil with tunit and k and n panel filter. My PD 115 saw 150.5 bhp ant 270lb/ft torque! Not bad I'm sure you'll agree for the mods! I want to pipe up the fmic soon but want to increase boost. How much can it be safetly increases by and how??