FMIC Kit Group buy

S3 TAM

Pocket now empty
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've had a right touch today and managed to strike a deal with a Alloy Fab company.
Currently they don't sell a kit for the S3 but with my help we will create a kit to sell.
They will send me out the intercooler and various piping, brackets and so on to make it fit.
Once done then they will have a kit to sell.
"I will be doing a write up with photos, too provide with the kit"
I have asked them if I could organize a group buy for ASN members which they have agreed to do.
They don't have a price yet because we don't know what the kit will consist of but i'm fairly confident it will be much cheaper then other kit's Forge and the A&H route.

I'm just trying to gauge interest on the group buy.

I will be doing the work at the weekend so will let you know how it goes and post pic's on sunday.

Edit:

Dimensions
  • OVERALL SIZE = Width 69cm x Height 18cm x Depth 6.5cm
  • CORE SIZE = Width 56cm x Height 18cm" x Depth 6.5cm
  • INLET/OUTLET DIAMETER = 2.25" / 5.7cm

Last edited:
I would be interested pending price and quality. Keep us updated....

I would also be interested pending price again, sure if your creating it ASN could get some good prices for mass road testing ;-)

I would be interested too... Are you going to fit it so the fog lights can stay in their place, i hope so.

I would be interested too... Are you going to fit it so the fog lights can stay in their place, i hope so.

I will try a few diffferent combo's of pipe's so they can offer different setups.

i.e. with/without fogs

i will begin work at the weekend so will keep updating.

I'll be following this thread :)

Those dimensions you posted up.... is that like the Forge sizes? Just trying to think how big it will be.

I'd be interested, again as stated multiple times price and fitment pending.

Also, I believe most people would want to keep the fogs. I know I would.

Whats the ETA on costings?

Would it be possible to not have to cut the crash bar?

Is this different to Tufftyblokes AH Fabrications one posted on here in a build thread?
that one retains fogs for example, but does go down to 51mm pipework to achieve that

Would it be possible to not have to cut the crash bar?

This is what is really bugging me and stopping me from fitting a fmic. I know it sounds a bit paranoid but even if you declared it to the insurance, if you had a front end smack and they investigated the damage they would take a dim view of the crash bar being altered.
Just a thought, apologies for drifting of topic a little.
I will be keeping an eye on the thread for sure, it may even sway my decision!?

Hi all, right parts were shipped today so will get some pics up when it arrives.
Sorry I can't give even a rough idea on the price as it's down to them depending on what I use to create the kit.

There were talks about two kits one up to 300bhp and one up to 450-500 Bhp.
As far as I'm aware there will be no need to cut the crash bar with the 300bhp kit. :)

Agreed crash bar cutting is no no for me and i would love to keep the fogs there :) Cant wait to hear the results and estimated pricing!

The crash bar is designed to 'shrug off' minor shunts such as reversing into lamp posts etc... it replaces what used to be either metal bumpers or the steel reinforcement in early plastic bumpers (such as mk2 golf etc) as this kind of reinforcing is less practical in modern bumpers...

Can't comment on the insurance side of things but in terms of its function, there is no detrimental effect of modding the crash bar to accommodate a FMIC.... imo of course...

<tuffty/>

I would be more bothered about the insurance being un happy about the front mount cooler rather than the clearance cut into the crash rail

As anybody told the insurance youve cut your crash bar??.....i would think they would be more interested in that...
If you look at the crash bar uncut it is a very strong design, like an H bar.... once you cut in to the H you have made it useless...
I know what i would want in a front ender....

Dave, lets be honest... its a cheap bit of ally.
If you completely removed it and had a front end bump... it would need to be a very low impact for there to be much diffrence in the out come... its there to protect the 2 radiators... other than that. its about as much use as the front number plate

As anybody told the insurance youve cut your crash bar??.....i would think they would be more interested in that...
If you look at the crash bar uncut it is a very strong design, like an H bar.... once you cut in to the H you have made it useless...
I know what i would want in a front ender....

My insurance company had a full list of modifications applied to my car, as part of the declaration they were only interested in if the suspension and brakes have been uprated and if the engine was mapped and what the power output was....

I filled out a form detailing all the bits that were changed including the components of the engine build, FMIC etc and used the word 'modified' a lot....

I asked the question about the insurance companies take on the mods I had done as I wanted assurance that there would be no question if I had the misfortune to be involved in an accident... they said based on what I had told them there was no problem.... I told them 'everything' I had done including the boost gauge and Liquid gauge...

The crash bar is not structural like the rest of the chassis... it is there to absorb minor knocks in an effort to prevent the plastice 'over' bumper deforming too much... cut or uncut your FMIC is gonna take a hit should you have such an accident and if you hit it hard enough to deform it that much you will have more to worry about damage wise than the crash bar...

Of course the decision to cut the 'crash' bar is your own at the end of the day but if it was a real issue then big name companies such as Forge wouldn't supply one ready cut...

<tuffty/>

Sorry paul, disagree, with respect, look at the design, it is made to spread the impact towards both lights, cutting it could in fact alter the way the airbags are deployed too, your car your choice....

Yes, agree to disagree, nowt wrong with that,
If we all took everything audi did as the best we would never mess with any of it.

On a side note... i was told that the lower boost pipe that links the two intercoolers actualy doubled as a lower strut brace, But after looking at it, im not convinced

yeah but what benefit is there to having a front mounted intercooler , compared to the original side mounts ??

yeah but what benefit is there to having a front mounted intercooler , compared to the original side mounts ??

SMICs heat soak 'badly' on a mapped car.... a correctly designed FMIC is far more efficient at keeping the charge air cooler...

<tuffty/>

SMICs heat soak 'badly' on a mapped car.... a correctly designed FMIC is far more efficient at keeping the charge air cooler...

<tuffty/>
what kinda figs we talking Tuffty , does it improve torque or just overall hp gains ? sorry for being not in the know its my first turbo powered buggy

what kinda figs we talking Tuffty , does it improve torque or just overall hp gains ? sorry for being not in the know its my first turbo powered buggy

Decent intercooler will improve power consistency.... you will have the power you have for longer, better intake air temp recovery etc... combined with 'stage 2' mods then arguably you can get a little more power with map tweaking but its consistency that FMIC typically brings to the party...

<tuffty/>

Decent intercooler will improve power consistency.... you will have the power you have for longer, better intake air temp recovery etc... combined with 'stage 2' mods then arguably you can get a little more power with map tweaking but its consistency that FMIC typically brings to the party...

<tuffty/>
thanks thats a lot clearer for me , Im planning to source a spare engine and do a similar job to your minor modding thread its in the blood , great job done there

S3 Baby has the cooler fitted to his car but is having to do some final mods to get the pipe work to fit with the fogs. He's shown me the pics today so I'll get him to post an update on here soonish.

Im guessing ... It looks alot easier than it actualy turns out to be,
I could have made a copy of my set up with a look to sell it on as a kit,
But to be honest, It was alot of work, People want ebay prices but spot on fit,

I know he has the FMIC installed guys but was waiting for smaller pipes from the supplier so he could refit the fogs. Obviously snow then xmas kicked in and he hasn't had time to do any more. I'm sure S3baby will update this thread in the new year.

Hi Guys N Girls,

Right sorry for the super late reply i've been abit busy recently.

I'm still in an incomplete state as I don't have the fogs on, and the grill has not clipped into the bumper properly. I was suppose to receive some new pipe work and and fittings to finish the job still waiting..........

The kit "if you want your car to look like the pics, unfortunately it's my car" is on ebay
linky
AUDI S3 - FRONT MOUNTED TURBO INTERCOOLER KIT 1.8 20v T on eBay (end time 16-Feb-11 16:19:40 GMT)

I'm now in the process of buying the parts my self to finish the job as I hate the front of my car at the min.

Apart from the finish the intercooler is well made, it took about 8 hours or so for me to get it to this state.
I had keep adjusting the height to fit it in the bumper. Pain in the A*SE.

Performance

It has made a massive difference.
If you remember I could not blast my car past 140ish for longer than 10 seconds or so as my car would go into limp mode because of my EGT's.
This doesn't happen anymore.

Overall if you want to have abit of fun trying to fit this kit to your car for it to look like mine "at the min" then £250 ain't a bad price.

Any Q's welcome.