FMIC fitted :)

Top job there mate I may invest in one of these was going to go for a fabs v2 but I really don't think I need something so big for around 270 bhp and it will save me afew quid to :)

My thoughts exactly as i am not gonna take this car past stage 2 (Rods!) so i think this FMIC should defo be adequate for my needs and a significant upgrade over the OEM SMIC`s

Will do some proper logging this week before my stage 2 revo software upgrade on friday as i wanna get some AIT temp readings now as now i know where the AIT sensor is (cheers westy lol) i know its gotta be reading some low temps as that area of the throttlebody is cold to the touch after 3 3rd gear runs after the car has warmed up too.

Hi vrbob.

Any further comments on this setup? Still pleased with it?

Yup still pleased with it as I am not gonna be going more than stage 2 its perfect form my needs and fit perfectly behind the bumper with minimal cutting and retaining fogs and grills.

Infact I am doing the same setup again on Thursday for another member off here :)

Did you ever get around to logging ait's on this cooler bob. And on a different subject what discs are you running with the tvr ap's.

Nope not done any AIT`s keep forgetting as too bust looking at GS figures lol. I can say that like I said earlier in the thread after doing 4 or 5 3rd gear redline runs etc and then a 2 min drive home after poppi9ng the bonnet the inlet manifold is ice cold and then slowly warms up as the car is sat with engine off.

As for my brake setup I am led to believe they are 330mm R32 (one piece) discs as they came complete in the setup I bought. Its basically the same setup tufty runs on his car but I think he has 2 piece discs

Ahh ok. Thanks for getting back quickly. Any idea where the brackets are from?
By the way i only ask about the fmic because i fitted a fmic more similar size to yours than the wellycooler. (Previous s3 of mine) Temps were always under 30 degrees (in the evenings). A mate with an lcr had the exact same set up and same good improvements. Plus this size is so easy to install.

Yup still pleased with it as I am not gonna be going more than stage 2 its perfect form my needs and fit perfectly behind the bumper with minimal cutting and retaining fogs and grills.

Infact I am doing the same setup again on Thursday for another member off here :)

Cheers mate. All sounds good. Got a linky for the cooler?

i think that sounds very similar to mine temp wise as we did look once but didn't actually log the file. As you say for ease of fitment and if staying below say 320bhp I cant see why this slightly smaller cooler isn't adequate for my needs plus being delta fin in design should make it slightly more efficient I guess.

I made my brackets for the cooler out of some old steel plate my dad had in the garage. So I cut 2 oblong lengths which I attached to the crash bar and then hung the cooler off the bottom of this using washers to space it as low as possible. I have since also drilled 2 hole on the bottom of my bumper allowing my to use 2 massive washers and bolts into the base of the cooler.

Thanks. I'd found that one. Is the cooler you're fitting on Thursday one you already had? Not had to order it in recently? The potential of import duty on that cooler puts me off.

Adam P is the guy who`s car I am fitting 1 to Thursday.

He got one of these Aussie coolers as he wanted the same setup as me and I couldn't find them in the UK anymore. So he bought before xmas and it arrived on Friday last week (so not exactly quick but it did come form the other side of the world!) as far as I am aware he had to pay no import taxes or anything as in real terms it is a low value item at just over £75 delivered so shouldn't worry the customs peeps too much.

Reactions: vanilla_ice
i need to sort out a fmic on mine soon, determined to keep the fogs on my k03s build! going to have to do a lot of reading...

Giving this thread a little bump as there are so many people with S3s who want to retain the fogs and this is the perfect thread for it without having to go through the whole FMIC sticky.

I've got me a FMIC with the 63mm inlet and outlets so will be following the same fitment procedure as you have followed vrbob but hoping to squeeze the dimensions of the welly in there but with 2.5" in/outlets.

As you have done two of these set ups now, do you think there would be enough room behind the bumper using the items you listed on the previous page and a slightly larger cooler?

To be fair its still a little bit of a squeeze to keep it all perfect and OEM esque even using my slightly smaller cooler.

The trick is to get it to sit at the right height so that the elbows from the cooler inlets follow the plastic trim around the bottom of the rads as this way there is enough room for the foglights to go back in and keep the grills. You do have to trim as much of the plastic that is around the base of the rads as possible to get the hoses to sit nice and flat.

I have also fitted a larger core (same design as my cooler put welly cooler dimensions - see futures build thread) but there was no way to keep the fogs as the outlets of the core with hoses on is directly where the fogs would be. The only way I can see it being done is with a different route of the hoses somehow or of course custom outlets like the ah fabs v2 core

I am away next week (first proper holiday in 5+ years lol) but when I am back I going to be doing a mini overhaul on the car to try and get it stage 2 complete and ready for some proper software. So part of this is to replace all hose clips with stronger versions so will try and get a few more pics of my setup then and add them to the thread.

Reactions: kwistof
I have also fitted a larger core (same design as my cooler put welly cooler dimensions - see futures build thread) but there was no way to keep the fogs as the outlets of the core with hoses on is directly where the fogs would be. The only way I can see it being done is with a different route of the hoses somehow or of course custom outlets like the ah fabs v2 core

So custom outlets would = welding on I'm assuming?

I read through Future's thread the other day actually and saw it was a pretty tight fit. I may have to pray that the outlets are positioned slightly different as I really want to keep the OEM fogs tbh.

My only gripe will be having to trial and error the whole bumper all the time as I hated putting that thing back on as a bit of force was required and I've already had to buy one new OEM bumper before so don't fancy having to do it again if I was to shatter/break it :(

hey kwistof, mine is exactly what you want to do with yours. Its a faff to get the bumper on and off each time to level it correctly but well worth it! I don't like the looks of the fogs so have left mine off, but everything fits so that i could just bolt the fogs back in if i so desire :icon_thumright:

hey kwistof, mine is exactly what you want to do with yours. Its a faff to get the bumper on and off each time to level it correctly but well worth it! I don't like the looks of the fogs so have left mine off, but everything fits so that i could just bolt the fogs back in if i so desire :icon_thumright:

May have to make a road trip to Bournemouth with some beer tokens in hand ;) lol

I think Tom would get the fogs in but the grills would be another issue

come on down mate always nice to put faces to names :beerchug:

vrbob

Your install looks very good.

Did you trim anything off of the ally crash bar for the cooler to slide up into or does it sit directly underneath it?

I'm looking at a 550mm x 230mm cooler and hoping this size will sit directly underneath the crash bar and not foul the bottom of the bumper...

Andy

Nope didn't cut the crash bar at all as the FMIC tucks in behind it no probs and then used the brackets to attach it to the crash bar

Reactions: AndyC87
Did you get it mapped and dyno'd after? What were the results?

Ta

Reactions: vrbob
Will shall see very soon how it performs as my car isn't going beyond stage 2 and standard rods and is being remapped at badger 5 in 2 days time.

I guesstimate that my car is running 265bhp at the mo and the FMIC seems to perform well. So with Bills help custom mapping it we should see if its up to the job of stage 2 tuning levels and what bhp it can achieve.

Reactions: AndyC87
Good stuff!

I'm looking to get my s3 to stage 2, not overly keen to go any further, she's an old girl now but is fairly low mileage and a pretty well documented service history.

Been looking on ebay 'down-under' and found a pretty good intercooler, similar to yours just a little larger...

NEW Racing Sport Performance Front Mount Intercooler Hybrid 2.5" 510x230x65 mm | eBay

Getting a shopping list sorted currently should be able to get fmic setup for 200 notes
:)

I've been having a good ol research on here, I agree, do-able but very tight.
How far back did you mount your cooler?

I've been having a good ol research on here, I agree, do-able but very tight.
How far back did you mount your cooler?

As far back as possible which involved cutting some of the plastic surround around the rads so the ppipework can squeeze under. Its tight lol

Okey doke peeps this FMIC is too small for top end stage 2 goodness as it just cant cope with the uber hot K04.

So after lots of hard work at B5 yesterday my car made 265bhp and same in torque but cant get anymore as too hot.

So currently trying to source a bigger core I can still fit and keep the fogs and grills which will lower egt`s. So will update this thread as an when I can.

Ahh dammit thats a shame. What size core you after now?

Ahh dammit thats a shame. What size core you after now?

Something similar to the welly cooler but maybe a little thinner so I can try and keep the stealth look.

Does look abit small rob.. Wellycooler ftw! Stage 2 is such a good level of tune, I bluddy loved every minute of my car then!

Sorry to hear it wasn't as good as you expected mate, but good it's still an improvement and safe!

Beach Buggy Turbos does the wellycooler with 63mm outlets I think.. sent him a message on Facebook or on here.

Beach Buggy Turbos does the wellycooler with 63mm outlets I think..

:yes: he does indeed - I know this because I have one waiting to get fitted along with loadssssss of other interesting stuff :eyebrows:

(Time, money and waiting for my insurance renewal in June is preventing this at present :( )

:yes: he does indeed - I know this because I have one waiting to get fitted along with loadssssss of other interesting stuff :eyebrows:

(Time, money and waiting for my insurance renewal in June is preventing this at present :( )

:-( I know the feeling.,

I think I'll have to get one.. I have a cooler smaller than wellycooler so my money is on it not being good enough :(

Vrbob - that's a shame about the cooler! Have you thought about chucking the drive side smic back in and run it inline with you fmic? Or would this not yield good results?

Andy

Yeah I am taking the advice given and looking at welly cooler type cores as this is known quantity that works. Will just have to work out the fitting once I have it.

Will contact dan at BBT and see if he has any of the ones with the custom ends as that sounds like an ideal solution for me.

Sorry to hear it wasn't as good as you expected mate, but good it's still an improvement and safe!

Beach Buggy Turbos does the wellycooler with 63mm outlets I think.. sent him a message on Facebook or on here.

Thanks for the info guys I have managed to get hold of Dan and have ordered his last FMIC with the custom 63mm outlets as this should give me the needed cooling I am lacking plus enable me to keep the OEM fogs and grills.

Hopefully be here this week so once I have it I will have a go at getting it on the car :)