Flywheel and Clutch!

wilkins

Reaction score
2007 1.9tdi A3 8P, 97k on the clock.

Had been getting a whirring noise under load, and very recently an awful grating noise when slowing down either by gears or brake and gears. Took it to Quattro-tech in Peterborough (nice guys), who advised the noises were coming from inside the gearbox, and suggested I'd need it stripping to see what the issue was, and also probably needed the flywheel and clutch replacing. All this at a price of at least £1,500, but she would be OK to drive for the time being.

Coming off an A1 sliproad yesterday, the grating noise got real bad, then a sudden jerk (similar to when you stall a car). There was then a continuous clanking sound when the engine was on idle. Strangely, my sister said some white smoke came out the exhaust too. Long story short, a recovery guy came out and said it's my DMF that's gone, and the jerk was the springs deciding they didn't like their job anymore.

Got her recovered back to my house and here we are. Annoyingly, this has come at a time when I'm on the cusp of trading her in for a new car. Hopefully the white smoke wasn't her soul escaping!

I have a few questions if anyone can help:
  • Looking at getting her at least roadworthy to then trade on. Does anyone know the part numbers for a DMF and clutch replacement? I don't fancy spending the money for a new one!
  • Has anyone experienced the above, and is there the possibility of further damage inside?
  • The recovery guy suggested going to Mr Clutch - are they good guys?
  • Would anyone like to buy a 2007 1.9tdi A3 with a ******** flywheel and clutch for £1,700? :sweatsmile:

I used Mr Clutch for a Clio clutch.
The warranty is a joke. I had to take it back every 6 months for it to be inspected. This consists of someone driving it round the block for 1 minute. If you miss one inspection then you lose the warranty. Of course most people forget and so they get out of any warranty claims.

Thanks prt57, I've been reading reviews on the web and it seems they have a lot of customer service issues! Always dubious of franchise garages.

Reactions: AdamC95
No help, but i have just recently changed my clutch and flywheel on 2011 Audi A3 (140BHP) and after bouncing the companies of one another i managed to get the DMF and Clutch Kit (SACHS) for £385 at Euro Car Parts

Took us about 8hours to do on the drive me and my brother did it.

Also did a full service and gearbox oil etc while i was there so the total came to £430 with 2L gearbox oil and a full service kit, oil, filters etc.

Euro did quote me £590 at first for just the DMF and Clutch kit!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk