1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fluctuating power delivery in the 3000 to 4000 rpm range

AGB-S3 Oct 6, 2018

1. AGB-S3

AGB-S3 Active Member

Fluctuating power delivery in the 3000 to 4000 rpm range

Set throttle opening , small say 1/4 max , pulls cleanly , but sometimes in the 3/4k range , there is a fluctuation in the power delivery , either a sudden soft increase , or as to day on the shopping run , a waver in the power delivery , Then pulls fine , no error codes , idle fine ,

Occasionally , smooth acceleration , to round 4k , then as if the boost had been dumped , looses power..been like this for a while now , nothing ever shows during service etc ,

Any thoughts ?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Stuart B

Stuart B Well-Known Member

can't you log it on a hard pull? It seems like you are testing slow acceleration, with no load the turbo wont be interested in giving you any power will it..?

4. AGB-S3

AGB-S3 Active Member

The last episode was under load, accelerating round a left hand corner , off a r-a-b , decided to have about of wavering power delivery ...sometimes there's very little , then 'cuts in ,

assume , by logging, you mean get a copy of vag-com , ive a blue tooth dongle , links to the phone, but , guess , need the hard wired version ??

5. Stuart B

Android torque can do some logging.

If you have a blue kkl then me7logger may work, that's got to be the best logging tool for these ecu, didn't work on my AMK S3, worked great on my BAM TT

6. Stuart B

Is your traction control light flashing at the same time add the power loss?

7. AGB-S3

AGB-S3 Active Member

lol funny you should mention that , well had that a couple of times over the years , bit of a spoiler , but that was only during the 'odd extreme event , I thought that , but when that fires its a full drop in power ..

I think the plug in dongle is green , only use it with the torque app , its bam engine , face lift , believe serial cable is needed for the proper vag-com ?

8. Stuart B

You don't need vag-com to log the car.

Me7logger is much better.

But android torque pro version can log the car too, but only really a couple of samples per second.

A kkl lead only works work vcds lite and vcds register, a real vag com cable has a chip built in. But a blue kkl also works with me7logger.

I have some examples of files to show later. I cant remember where i uploaded them too.

9. AGB-S3

AGB-S3 Active Member

Clean run today,

The ME7logger , is that windows only or will it run on android , what about the blue-tooth link is that suitable
    can upgrade to torque pro , but , is that going to do the job with the blue-T dongle as the link ?

spent so long undoing the previous owners doing's , this has sort of been side lined , is it possible to tell if the car has been mapped before ?

10. Stuart B

me7logger is a windows program and it only works with a real cable - a blue-tooth adapter simply cannot pass enough information.

android torque pro is only a couple of quid and you can create CSV files with a handful of sensors may every 500ms (1/2 a second)

me7 logger can go up to about 20 sensor readings every second. (50ms / 0.05 a second) <-- I think it is capable of going down to 20ms with the right cable.

example of me7logger content - this is 1.5 seconds of me7logger content

upload_2018-10-8_21-15-29.png

11. AGB-S3

AGB-S3 Active Member

50 mS , 20 reads a second , thats a lot of reads ..

What cable is needed ???

12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. Stuart B

I use a cheap blue kkl £5 from eBay, the same cable can be used with vcdslite .

If you use a can/hex lead it apparently can go to 50 reads a second ( 20ms ).

But remember the warning that some cars just doing work, my S3 didn't work even though the same ecu worked perfectly on a bench, the developer nyNet @ nefmoto said that some Audis do not have the k-line wire directly to the ecu causing the issue. Its definitely worth a try though. There's then a graphing tool that uses these files to create bhp torque graphs.

NefariousMotosport forum has all the details on setup.

14. badger5

badger5 www.badger5.co.uk Site Sponsor

to me logged is'nt better for majority of folks..
    you need to know what parameters to look for, and then know what does this all mean.. Copious amount of data... to get confused by for the majority.
    Its also logging, non graphical, so "after the event"... which as an example of excessive timing pull, you would only know after the run when reviewing the data to realise oh sh1t, it was pinking its brains out... or running crazy lean etc... Both of which are potential engine damaging scenarios. VCDS is at least simple, and real time visible with logging.. so you can catch the moment as its beginning and take appropriate action.. (lift off/abort the run)

my 2p

Alex C likes this.
  15. hydro s3

hydro s3 S3 amk Team Ming Blue Audi S3

I got a cheap cable of eBay a while back and had vcd lite but it will not work on my car but works ok on a mates.
    If funds are there is say get the proper cable and full version of vcd.

16. AGB-S3

AGB-S3 Active Member

VCDS is at least simple, and real time visible with logging.. so you can catch the moment as its beginning and take appropriate action.. (lift off/abort the run)

Im seeing this at £225 and USB cables vcds lite at £67 , on ebay etc, these are BLUE in colour , but , am I looking at the right things ? what constitutes a 'real vag come cable' ?

17. Stuart B

Visual Me7Logger shows the current readings of all the sensors you have selected - but to be fair I am looking down the road - so it's only helpful on a dyno (I am pretty sure they have their own super-dooper kit) or with a passenger.

If you are going to get a fake VAG-COM installation dont be spending £67 they are £14 on eBay. otherwise full kit is $225 or I think you can do logging with a registered version of VCDSLite

the same me7log put into ECUxplot (you cannot necessarily trust the power data as the gap between wheel and crank is a constant and the bhp/ft_lb is also manipulated by other constants)

upload_2018-10-10_22-46-1.png

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018