Flooded cabriolet ! Rear window glue fix ?

Cabbyfan

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Well it finally happened ! I got Cab full of water. I think it was coming from the ECU seal, so I stripped it all out, cleaned it, put it back with seal and a little bead of clear silicone for good measure.

In the process I took the sill trim off and the drivers seat out to I could get under the carpet on the drivers front and rear.... disaster ! Soaking wet, and I mean wet, never seen so much water in a car.... so its currently on the drive and getting dry. The soundprofing is very very good and now I know why, its over 2 inches thick in places which also makes it a very good sponge !

BUT thats not the worst of my problems, when I took the rear bench seat out there was a little bit of damp... turns out my roof rear window bonding / glue has failed on both sides for several inches ! So all in all not a good day !

I actually have a brand new black outer roof canvas in my loft that I got on EBAY for £150 a couple of years ago but ita alot of work to fit and Im hoping a temp fix with silicone will do for now !

Any advice would be appreciated though.

One thing about these kind of jobs you do see how well Audi build cars, all cars have faults but the general buuld quality, the electrical wiring, the connectors etc is all way better than Ford or Renault...

Check out the pics and especially the video of all the water in the rear carpet lol !

Last edited:
Ouch.

I'm still getting a small amount of water in my ECU.. I'll have to strip back as well.

I'm going out to check mine over now, just in case.

I hope you get it all dried out and back to normal quickly.

My friend had a Vauxhall Omega that got flooded.. He had to drive about with the rear carpet lifted up on ice cream tubs for weeks after, before he got all the moisture out.

Cheers, yeah the ECU does seem to be a common place for leaks. I think mine was the seal between the ECU housing tray and the body of the car and not the ECU cover lid, the actual ECU is dry as a bone.

Its all dried out now, everything is back in, cleared the airbag light and job done hopefully. Time will tell if my silicone holds out on the rear window ! Im guessing it wont last !

did you check under the battery ?

Pretty sure it was the ECU seal but as my window on the roof had unbounded there will be some getting in there as well. All seems ok now though thankfully.