Flood water damage to my S5...

Joetidman

Reaction score
So so gutted. I drove through some floodwater in Suffolk on my way home yesterday, that many other people where going through, and it damaged the plastic shield plates under the car. Called Audi help and an AA guy came out, took the plates off (which went in the back of my car), and then I drove off. Thinking at this point will just book into the Audi garage and sort it myself, but then noticed the engine surging slightly every now and then . Panic has already set in worrying about all the potential causes. After about 30 mins it seemed to stop, but this morning I noticed it again albeit only every now and then. Will now call the insurers and go through them in car it gets expensive.... I feel so unlucky as it was a busy road and hundreds of cars passed though with no issue, just me that got an issue (oh plus a 66 plate A4 estate that pulled in behind me with the exact same issue, design fault maybe?)

Any advice guys beyond, “don’t drive through more than a shallow puddle”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s gutting!

I’d speak to Audi first and see what they say as a follow up to your call out to the AA.

They can then assess if there’s been any water ingress etc as well as sorting the undertrays. I can’t imagine there’s any sensitive electronics that low in the car so unsure as to what might be the cause.

Obviously if they report something more sinister then I’d be calling the insurance company.

Try not to drive it anymore and get it to Audi as mentioned above. Defo do that before calling insurance as they will just scare you!

Audi will be able to drain it if needed and then do a pressure test on the cylinders etc to make sure no major damage.

I had the same issue on a previous BMW M235i, drove through some standing flood water, no more than 6 inches or so and it got sucked in via the intake within the front grill, then stated to stutter and stall but I was fortunate and no damage confirmed - the intakes are so low in cars like these.

Hopefully they will confirm no damage done!

Reactions: SRB93
Thanks guys. I panicked and phoned the insurers. It’s in a local garage on Monday, and will get a Toyota Aygo courtesy car . They mentioned total write off possibility due to flood damage which will give me nightmares for weeks...

Thanks guys. I panicked and phoned the insurers. It’s in a local garage on Monday, and will get a Toyota Aygo courtesy car . They mentioned total write off possibility due to flood damage which will give me nightmares for weeks...

The Toyota Aygo is giving me nightmares.

Reactions: Kakatk, THQuattro, S32B and 1 other person

Let us know how you get on !

Reactions: Joetidman
Reminds me of when we were in the lakes a couple of years back in the S3, had no choice but to go through it! Luckily all was OK.

I would have thought that if there was any water damage causing this surging then there would be fault codes generated. Lesson perhaps is that because other drivers are going through floods doesn't mean a vehicle with lower suspension would be able to the same. I would seriously not give the insurers a call until the vehicle has had an assessment from Audi as you may start a process you cannot return from...

Reactions: S32B and SRB93
just hope the engine hasn't sucked water up through the exhaust ! like a guys did at work when he drove has car through a ford .
that ended up in a new engine :(

Hopefully you're just panicing about nothing, Joe.

Horror stories about write-offs from engine damage in floods relate more to diesels, because of the high compression ratio.

Given the details you've supplied I would suspect there's a soaked sensor below the engine - on the S3 when I fitted the tuning box one of the sensors (can't recall which one) involved removing the undertray so I suspect the S5 have similar. Maybe worth scratting around, opening the plug up and getting the hair drier on it.

If there was an easy way to check the oil level was normal (or not if its got water in it) I'd be driving the car to thoroughly dry stuff out!

So small good news is that the garage have already decided to get it assessed at the local Audi garage first before doing anything. That gives me some peace of mind at least that they won’t do anything dumb!

So got a call from Audi garage, and they can’t find anything wrong. Have done a deep diagnostic with their master technician and can’t find anything on the laptop or from drinking it about over 3 days. So perhaps a bit of water got in but then pushed through the system and didn’t do any damage on the way through? Good news I suppose although having experienced it, I almost wanted then to find something! Hopefully it won’t reoccur now once I get the car back, and if it does at least I properly logged it with the insurers and my local Audi garage have it on record that they signed it off with a full bill of health, and I won’t get stun with bills if it does come back...

I’ll be glad to hand back the Toyota Aygo. Whilst I have actually appreciated the very cheap and efficient fuel economy, and the parking freedom I’ve had (it’s tiny and I don’t give a toss where I park it) compared with my obsessive anal-ness with finding end of row spots, I also lament the 3-cylinder, rough, gutless engine, and sloppy manual box!

Last edited:
Reactions: cuke2u, S32B and xpoweruk
So got a call from Audi garage, and they can’t find anything wrong. Have done a deep diagnostic with their master technician and can’t find anything on the laptop or from drinking it about over 3 days. So perhaps a bit of water got in but then pushed through the system and didn’t do any damage on the way through? Good news I suppose although having experienced it, I almost wanted then to find something! Hopefully it won’t reoccur now once I get the car back, and if it does at least I properly logged it with the insurers and my local Audi garage have it on record that they signed it off with a full bill of health, and I won’t get stun with bills if it does come back...

I’ll be glad to hand back the Toyota Aygo. Whilst I have actually appreciated the very cheap and efficient fuel economy, and the parking freedom I’ve had (it’s tiny and I don’t give a toss where I park it) compared with my obsessive anal-ness with finding end of row spots, I also lament the 3-cylinder, rough, gutless engine, and sloppy manual box!

Does the Aygo need a new clutch now :D

Does the Aygo need a new clutch now :D

Almost certainly. You need to rev the nuts off it to avoid it stalling because there is no torque and the biting point is so high, so it sounds like you’re a boy racer every time you pull away, unless you are happy accelerating at a speed most people on push bikes would be ashamed of

the parking freedom I’ve had (it’s tiny and I don’t give a toss where I park it) compared with my obsessive anal-ness with finding end of row spots,

I always park out of the way in work and a mate of mine also has a nice car, so he always parks next to me. He gave another bloke a lift in this morning and as they pulled up the bloke said to him "I hate people like you who always park well out of the way and leave loads of space between you and the next car, I park as close as I can get to the entrance to save walking". He replied with "Well that's my mates Audi and I know he won't smash his door into mine, we've both got nice cars and look after them, so we park out of the way". I said my reply would have been much more to the point! "If you don't like it make your own way in!" :) I then said "I bet he drives a ****** old car", he said yeah he does drive a bin!!! :D

People like him should be grateful that we park out of the way, it leaves their lazy spaces empty lol :p

Reactions: Joetidman and Sandra
I always park out of the way in work and a mate of mine also has a nice car, so he always parks next to me. He gave another bloke a lift in this morning and as they pulled up the bloke said to him "I hate people like you who always park well out of the way and leave loads of space between you and the next car, I park as close as I can get to the entrance to save walking". He replied with "Well that's my mates Audi and I know he won't smash his door into mine, we've both got nice cars and look after them, so we park out of the way". I said my reply would have been much more to the point! "If you don't like it make your own way in!" :) I then said "I bet he drives a ****** old car", he said yeah he does drive a bin!!! :D

People like him should be grateful that we park out of the way, it leaves their lazy spaces empty lol :p

I've never understood this parking closer to an entrance is better... especially when at a supermarket when you're going to walking all over the store anyway.

I do the same thing with colleagues at my workplace, even if it is an M3 and C63... S5 is still better in my mind :D

Reactions: S32B and Joetidman
So my car is finally back. I can’t detect the surging, so maybe it has gone, but I have a long drive to Windsor tomorrow and back so will be obsessively looking out for it on the trip. Even if it returns, I guess I have the reassurance of the tech at Audi that it’s a minor thing, having done cylinder pressure tests etc. Soooo nice to be back in it after the Aygo. It’s just a reminder quite how accomplished the car is, the Toyota caused a touch of humility for sure