Flickering then sometimes off daytime running lights

JohninMK

Reaction score
As title really.

Are these lights covered by the 3 year warranty and if not are they a possible to change oneself? Its the nearside

The 3 year warranty on new vehicles should cover everything. I’d pop it in to your local dealer.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Yes, covered by the 3 years warranty. Now booked in for diagnostic.

Either way they are covered, but are they LED or Halogen out of interest?

Sorry for late reply, Bi-Xenon.

The fault went solid with the car displaying that the light had failed. As I had put the high output bulbs in and cut the housing I was worried that a warranty claim would fail. So I bought a new light unit as well as a ballast both on eBay, the new light from England and the S/H ballast from Lithuania. Then drove the car with just the one working but as the MoT was due at the end of January, when the car is three, I had to do it.

Its a bit of a game getting the light unit out, especially in the cold, and as option one, the cheap one, was to change the ballast I did that and Bingo! that was it. So it went back on the car and is still working 3 weeks later. I now have a light unit to resell back on eBay.

If it isn’t the part that’s it came out of the factory with then I can’t see why they would honour the warranty. If anything you need to go back to the person you bought the new unit from and claim it from them.
Why did you need to replace the bulbs with high output ones and why did you need to cut the housing? If you had to cut something it wasn’t meant to fit.
Just curious not having a go.

It was me what did it Guv.

I bought the EM Tuning D1S bulb kit with the uprated ballast, using Osram Nightbreaker 4300 bulbs. As part of installing it a small notch has to be cut in the housing to allow a cable to run externally.

It had a big impact on light output over the OEM D3S system, which was a big disappointment when I got the S3. The guy at EMT, who's name I can't remember, was really helpful.

http://emtuning.co.uk/em-tuning-d3s-vag-ballast-boost-kit/