Flat bottomed steering wheel opinions

drummerdimitri

Reaction score
Apparently, this is an option on the S3 in Lebanon and my dealer said the steering wheel would be fully circular if I don't spec this option.

I have two question: 1) What would the "standard" steering column look like in case I did not opt for the optional one
2) I like the way the flat bottomed one looks but i sure as hell prefer the feel of a regular steering wheel. Does the former bother anyone in daily driving?

I had a round standard steering wheel on my last A3 8P S-Line and replaced it with a FBSW as fitted to the later black edition - it looked much better mainly because the air bag was also round and not shield shaped. They weren't that much different in use though to be honest.

The S3 FBSW on the other hand in a much thicker diameter which feels lovely to grip - I much prefer it. So also consider thickness as well as overall shape. I'm sure others will confirm if this is correct on the 8V.

This was my first car with FBSW. I thought it might be awkward when having to turn quickly but actually not found it an issue at all.

If you are considering S-Tronic then the flat part also helps you orient the wheel as the flappy paddles (if you get those) rotate with the wheel. Great when a gear change is needed and the wheel isn't straight.

John.

I absolutely love the flat bottom wheel on the S3, imo without it the inside of the car would look no where near as nice!

Also haven't found any issues when cornering or daily use, in fact i actually find it better :kissmyrings:

Just come from an A4 with a round steering wheel and a first felt a bit stange. But after a week absolutely love it. It makes the car look better a bit more sportier and as above the steering wheel is a bit thicker!

It's standard on the S Line and above over here and isn't an optional extra from the Audi factory.

Yes the flat bottom girl, I mean steering wheel, does look unique and makes the interior special...

It's the best thing about the A3. It's one of biggest reasons I went for the S Line (in the UK it's standard and I don't believe you can change it to a circular wheel).

I'm with those who thought the flat bottomed steering wheel was a bit strange at first (had one on my 8P Black edition), especially when feeding the wheel on roundabouts etc but soon after I got used to it and loved it. Really does make the interior look a bit more special IMO. My BMW has a standard round M Sport steering wheel and i'm surprised i really miss the flat bottom one so looking forward to getting it back with my S3!

I had an interim A3 with the standard steering wheel before my S Line was ready and ive got to say the flat bottomed one is absolutely superb. Adds to the already excellent interior.

I agree with the above comments about it looking nice.

But, in the S3 I do find that the flat section does also help me to 'feel' where the steering is when pressing on. The quick steering means that most of the time you can keep you hands by the paddles and most corners are taken with no more than 90deg turn of the wheel. But when I am taking a spirited drive down country lanes with the odd switch back, I find I grab the 'corner' of the flat section and it gives me more of a 'feeling' of where the steering angle is...

Last edited:
Agree entirely with the above comments.

I was a little iffy about how it would feel on long / spirited drives, but have found it very comfortable and practical. It certainly does help you keep an eye on where the wheel is when you need the paddles and I think the look of the wheel is amazing, really completes the interior of the car!

Being over 6ft tall I find it great, it gives you that bit more room for your legs and it feels very sporty :)

Never had a flat bottom wheel before, and wasn't sure what to expect. Absolutely love it. Feels really nice and sporty. Plus agree about being tall.....I'm 6ft 6" and had never thought about that aspect but it makes sense.

Yes it adds a bit more space which when you have tree trunks for legs...

I love the flat bottomed steering wheel, adds that sporty feel and doesn't affect my driving experience at all.

Never had a flat bottom wheel before, and wasn't sure what to expect. Absolutely love it. Feels really nice and sporty. Plus agree about being tall.....I'm 6ft 6" and had never thought about that aspect but it makes sense.

Wow, I'm surprised you didn't spec the pano roof ;)

giant_in_small_car_01.jpg

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Wondering Soul
I picked up my A3 with the FBSQ yesterday. Definitely found it odd at first trying to spin it with one hand, but the steering is super responsive so I can do most corners without going full circle.

It took about an hour or two of driving before I got used to it, and probably a few more hours before I prefer it :)

I picked up my A3 with the FBSQ yesterday. Definitely found it odd at first trying to spin it with one hand, but the steering is super responsive so I can do most corners without going full circle.

It took about an hour or two of driving before I got used to it, and probably a few more hours before I prefer it :)

Exactly how I felt. It just looks and "feels" more special once you get used to it. Plus the practical nature of getting in and out of the car!

Reactions: Ignition1 and Rob2k68
I found the FBSW much nicer to use when cornering

Reactions: alijnclarke