Flat bottom wheel off another model?

Brennan

Former Audi Driver
Reaction score
Putting this thread up out of interest, I have a mate who has a flat bottom Audi steering wheel with round airbag, it was fitted to his A3 8P until he sold it but he never got round to selling the wheel.

Do you reckon this wheel would fit my B8? It doesn't have the steering wheel controls that my car has but to be honest I never really use any of my buttons on my steering wheel so I wouldn't miss them.

Cheers

Different connection onto the slip ring and possibility of different operating voltage.

Check out a guy in Poland that can create you a flat bottomed wheel for around £250. You just need to move the airbag over http://flydesigns.pl/galeria/

He also advertises on ebay.

Reactions: ruairi83
Darren92 is incorrect, airbag will fit and would work as both the a3 8p and a4 b8 are dual stage airbags but you would require swapping some pins on the airbag loom as the pins are in different positions for the earth and the horn

I've done it but the other way round, put a A4 b8 airbag in my TT ( same as a3 8p )
d3de183cf1c77cffd170303cadfb6cee.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Chop., Stanningtonglen and ruairi83
What I meant was in standard 8P form the bag won't fit.

Darren92 is incorrect, airbag will fit and would work as both the a3 8p and a4 b8 are dual stage airbags but you would require swapping some pins on the airbag loom as the pins are in different positions for the earth and the horn

I've done it but the other way round, put a A4 b8 airbag in my TT ( same as a3 8p )
d3de183cf1c77cffd170303cadfb6cee.jpg

Where did you get the carbon done on the wheel. Looks class

Hi I'm new to the forum,looking to swap my steering wheel in my A3 58plate for a flat bottom one! (Maybe out of a s3 or a3 black edition)

Would it be a straight swap!?
Can I use the existing airbag!?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 325
Given how confused the OP is regarding the fitment of the airbag, and how dangerous an airbag is if incorrectly wired, I would strongly suggest OP seeks advice from someone experienced in doing the swap rather than going down the DIY route if they are unsure of what they are doing.

Regarding the other posts:

As a general rule of thumb, Audi flat bottom steering wheels pretty much fit any of their models. Obviously if your moving from a non-multifunction wheel to one that is equipped with buttons, unless you do the extra work, the buttons will not work. Moving from a regular multifunction wheel to a flat bottomed MF wheel, should not be an issue - the only potential hitch is that if you have a previously heated round wheel, the flat bottom is non-heated therefore there is a change in function for the * button. And as an FYI, there are NO heated options for any flat bottom wheel on any model.

Airbags are more complicated. Here is my general experience.

First off, mechanically, airbags are not interchangeable between a round steering wheel and a FB steering wheel. Audi used different fixing methods - despite the fact that both airbags are round in shape.

Secondly, there are different types of airbags as mentioned in posts above: Single stage and two stage (which refers to the firing sequence of the actual airbag mechanism) If you don't fit the right type your going to compromise the safety of the car, probably throw a fault code, and likely fail your MOT. Unless you choose to frigg it, in which case your compromising your safety anyway.

Thirdly, the connectors from the airbag to the steering wheel are different between different models (this is from experience - Ive changed my wheels over on most of the cars Ive had, including the S7) The connecting pins may have similar pin-out functions - but the connector shells are keyed differently - This may not be applicable on a 8P A3 swap to an 8V A3 as Ive not swapped a wheel over on the A3 model.

Buying airbags from eBay is a minefield without part numbers and pre-checking it will fit you car - so be warned. Most sellers haven't a clue what models the bags will fit, and list all models as a default.

Buying a FBMFSW & Airbag from one family model and fitting it to the same family model does not usually present any problems (i.e. C7/C7.5 A6/A7/S6/S7/RS6/RS7)

Swapping between models (i.e. A3 to A4 or A5 etc.) the wheel will fit, the airbag wont (in the majority of cases) You need to confirm the correct airbag part number for your car.

Reactions: slappy