Flat Bottom Steering Wheel

pjmspeedy

Dude, what's mine say ?
Reaction score
Has any of you fitted a FBMFSW to a B6 ? I really want to put the RS4 wheel on my car and just wondered how easy it is and what problems I might encounter ?

I know I need a new steering control module because my car currently doesn't have a MFSW but I don't know about anything else that I may need! Will I need a new slip ring ?

The BIG problem is that all B7 steering wheels have a dual-stage airbag and your B6 only has a single-stage airbag controller.

The BIG problem is that all B7 steering wheels have a dual-stage airbag and your B6 only has a single-stage airbag controller.

Hi Petrol Dave, Is there anyway around this! do you know if I am able to fit a new controller ?

The only way you'd know if it would work properly is to test fire it! There is no way I'd mess with this/risk it if my mrs was driving the car. Imagine if you 'modified' the airbag system and then in a crash it didnt deploy correctly, I couldnt live with that, could you?!

Hi Petrol Dave, Is there anyway around this! do you know if I am able to fit a new controller ?

It can be done, it just uses a single stage of the airbag instead of both circuits, at your own risk of course but havnt heard problems to date, but I've also seen the RS6 FBMFSW fitted to the B6, you'd need to possibly upgrade the steering module & the slip ring to make the functions work fully, but note the RS4 doesnt have all the fucntions of the standard FBMFSW, you'd be better looking for the RS6 version tbh, for a start the PTT button isnt present which Dave has countered by using cangate I believe & a push to touch button in dash for say SDS.

It can be done, it just uses a single stage of the airbag instead of both circuits, at your own risk of course but havnt heard problems to date,.

You'll only hear of problems when someone who has bodged one onto their B6 crashes one and tests it properly!

Yes it will physically fit and the airbag light will go out (it'll sometimes come on in damp/cold weather as the circuit resistance changes) but will it inflate the bag properly in a crash? Non-one knows the answer to that. Would you risk it? I wouldnt, especially as my Mrs uses the car as well.

It can be done, it just uses a single stage of the airbag instead of both circuits, at your own risk of course but havnt heard problems to date
Read some of the posts on www.navplus.us - some guys have tried it and while they didn't get airbag warnings at first when the temperature got either hot (Florida summer) or cold (Detroit winter) they got problems.

Seems putting both ignitors in parallel (to make sure the whole airbag goes off when needed) give a resistance which can be too low for the controller to be happy. Wiring only one ignitor (the second stage?) is risky since the airbag isn't designed to work correctly with only the second stage firing - so it may not work correctly when needed.

IMHO it's a big risk - and not one I would take. Remember your insurance company could void your policy if the airbag doesn't fire properly when needed...

OK...this B6 MFSW is on the German E-bay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....0000&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab=Watching

What exactly is involved in fitting it my my B6 ?

Part numbers of the bits would be useful....i.e. the electric box that converts the steering wheel switches to interface to teh CAN-BUS

Cheers

Johnboy - I know you will need a new ECU control module # 8E0 953 549 R or 8E0 953 549 N but if you already have cruise then you should already have the right one! but do check on the second part number as I've heard from various people that this is the right part number and I've also heard that you should use the first part number but www.vagparts.com will be able to help. You may also need a new slip ring but I'm not sure on a part number for this as I only have the one for the B7 wheel.

As for fitting it's looks pretty straight forward. Check out www.audizine.com there is a few people that have done it one there and have posted various pictures.

After some research and talking to various people and to a friend of a friend who is an Audi technician you can use a FBMFSW on a B6 and will work as it should do!

Basiclly the new airbag is a two stage i.e one for low impact and one for high impact. All you do is wire the high impact airbag as this is what my old one is (i.e single stage) and job done.

I've read that some people have rewired the low impact as well which shouldn't be done because it's not designed for both to go off at once!

My wheel has arrived by courier today so I shall post some pictures once it's on. Will be in a couple off weeks as I'm going on holiday for 2 weeks :arco:

After some research and talking to various people and to a friend of a friend who is an Audi technician you can use a FBMFSW on a B6 and will work as it should do!

Any evidence to back this up?,Would you risk the health of your Mrs on this? I know I wouldnt!!...............

Isaac - completely agree......thats why I am looking to install the B6 MFSW (not the best looking steering wheel it has to be said) not the B7 with its dual stage air bag etc.