Flat Bottom Steering Retrofit Advice please - Part Numbers Inside

Lingo89

Reaction score
I have a 2004 8P2 A3 sportback. It does have cruise control, but is not MFSW. I intend to convert to the 8P3 S3 Multi Function Flat Bottom Steering. I've posted a picture of my current steering wheel below.

The part numbers of the current setup are:

STEERING WHEEL CONTROLLER: 8P0 953 549 A
AIRBAG CONTROLLER: 8P0 969 655 C

Can anyone please advise on what will be required for the DIY retrofit other than steering wheel and airbag? I don't know whether my airbag is single stage or dual stage and what I need to be looking for to make sure I don't have a dash that looks like Christmas tree lights.

img_12311noud3.jpg

2004 is single stage air bag iirc
Wiring a single to a dual, you won't find anyone to help i bet due to the air bag

2004 is single stage air bag iirc
Wiring a single to a dual, you won't find anyone to help i bet due to the air bag

Lee are you sure? I have been told by others that this is the case with 3 doors, but mine is a sportback and that all sportbacks came with dual stage airbags. Does anyone know if there is a way to check this using the part numbers? (forgive me if this is blindingly obvious)...

Also realised I made a typo in the first post which I can't edit, the airbag controller number is actually:
AIRBAG CONTROLLER: 8P0 959 655 C

Yeah pretty sure, hopefully someone will confirm or deny :)

I'm pretty confused at this point as I'm getting conflicting information.

So I tried to check my part number for the Steering Control Module against the Rosstech website and found this which is pretty useful:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Steering_Wheel_Control_Module_Versions

Only issue I have is that my Steering Control Module isn't on the list unless 8P0 and 1K0 are the same thing?

My part number for the SCM is: 8P0 953 549 A, the part number that is extremely similar on the Rosstech site is: 1K0 953 549 A

If this is the case, my SCM is apparently midline, would this be good enough or does it need to be highline?

As always, all advice is much appreciated!