Flat battery

Neil Wilkinson

Reaction score
Hi, got a flat battery so need to remove to put on charge, will it throw up error codes or need coded when I put it back?

Thanks in advance

It won’t need coding, as your not actually changing the battery.

Hopefully no error codes, but when it comes to battery power, Audi’s can be a right pain! Any errors you can usually clear with no lasting issues.

Steering/TC/ABS light will come on but will clear after taking it a drive.

Cheers guys, I’ve got the Carista app so can clear any codes that may pop up. I’m praying it’s just the battery an not the alternator as that won’t be a cheap fix!

Car was jump started last night while I was at work (car was at home) it started an ran for about 20 minutes. I came in off nights approx 9 hours later an car wouldn’t start again.

If the battery was pancake flat, 20 minutes at idle wouldn’t be enough to fully charge it.

Best to charge it using a charger overnight, and then see how it behaves. You may of course have a bad battery, how old is it?

Yeah thought that but I was at work and the missus doesn’t drive :( I’m gonna try an start it later today an take for a good drive an see how we go. If that fails I’ll put it on charge for a good 12 hours or so.

As for battery age, it was fitted April 18 so needless to say I’m not impressed, how my local indie garage where I take it and where battery was fitted is abroad on holiday for 2 weeks, typical eh!
Once he’s back I’ll be expressing my dissatisfaction with it

Battery failure, in as new a battery, is not unheard of, but very unlikely.

If the car is not been driven much there is a good chance that it’s never been 100% charged....

The car is driven daily to and from work plus social use in between

The car is driven daily to and from work plus social use in between
OK, then that indicates a potential problem, either with the battery, the alternator charging the battery, or something draining the battery while the car is parked up.

When the new battery was fitted, do you know if it was coded to the car?

Do you have access to a multimeter so you can check battery voltage etc.?

I can’t confirm if the battery was coded or not, however my local garage is very good, took my cars there for years and never had an issue. I’d check but he’s on holiday.

As for multimeter my mate is hopefully coming round today to “jump” the car an test with his multimeter it’s not the alternator

UPDATE

Jump pack wouldn’t start it, mate an a set of good old fashioned jump leads and it started! Multimeter shows battery at 14V and when giving car throttle it goes up a little but not much.

Took car out for a good 30 mile run, stopped outside if house and it wouldn’t start again.

So before it goes in garage tomorrow question is what could the problem be?

Any help is much appreciated

The entire starting system needs a step by step analysis, starting with getting that battery fully charged, then checking it with a battery tester, after that checking quiescent current draw/drain.

Cars in the garage now, if he can’t fix it I’ll give auto electrician a ring, used him before. Just hope someone can get to the bottom of it, missing my car :(