Flat battery B8 2.0tfsi Quattro

Klickflip

Quattro 4 life
Reaction score
Hi everyone , not been here in while .. which is good sign I guess!
But now presumably due to only using her car to go to local shops once a week my battery is dead.
Got a jump start from neighbour and took it for a 50mile run . But then after 2 stops it wounds start again , tho did leave wife in car for 5 mins with radio on.. doh .

got another jump start , started straightaway , another 50mile run!

I’ve now borrowed a basic Halfords trickle charger , and have it attached to points In engine bay .
-is this right ? Or do I need to do from boot .

I've also a battery reconditioner charger which a mate has , which I believe I have to take battery out to do.

Are there problems with decoding etc from pulling battery out , or replacing it myself with a new one ?

Or should I just pony up take it to a garage and get a new one fitted properly ?
I don’t know when it had this one fitted guessing 5+ years ago.

also there were no warning lights or messages before this , should there not be ?

Cheers

Yeah that's the right place to connect a charger.

Battery's probably goosed, get a new one and stick it in. If you get the same AH rating etc you'll get away with not coding it in.

You can take the battery out and you won't have to do anything when you put it back in bar set the clock possibly if you want to use your mates charger but if the battery is tired for the sake of the cost of a battery id just change it, you'll end up getting let down when you don't want to.

Get a cheap multi meter and check the voltage after its been stood overnight if it's below say 12.4 volts it's on its way out, check your getting about 14.4 volts when the cars running just to check the alternator.

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk

Reactions: Klickflip
Yeah that's the right place to connect a charger.

Battery's probably goosed, get a new one and stick it in. If you get the same AH rating etc you'll get away with not coding it in.

Get a cheap multi meter and check the voltage after its been stood overnight if it's below say 12.4 volts it's on its way out, check your getting about 14.4 volts when the cars running just to check the alternator.

Perfect just the info I needed , got a multimeter . thanks mate

Reactions: jakm15
Perfect just the info I needed , got a multimeter . thanks mate
You can check the voltage on the jump points with the multi meter for the standing and running voltage, saves messing about getting to the battery if you don't want to.

And got a 50% off euro car parts , so that takes the sting off a
You can check the voltage on the jump points with the multi meter for the standing and running voltage, saves messing about getting to the battery if you don't want to.

thanks will do , just did static reading 12.54v but it’s just been charging , so that may drop overnight .

looked at battery in boot , and appears I have to take subwoofer out to access it?! B&O system in it.

And got a 50% off euro car parts , so that takes the sting off a

thanks will do , just did static reading 12.54v but it’s just been charging , so that may drop overnight .

looked at battery in boot , and appears I have to take subwoofer out to access it?! B&O system in it.
In my Avant you have to take the spare wheel out, Jack, and sub to get the battery out. Not a big deal just a few nuts.

That's seems quite low saying it's been on charge, just make sure dash and interior lights have gone off etc when you check it so you have no draw.

You can get the AGM start stop battery's if yours has start stop for around £100 to £150. I priced one up at Halfords a few months back with my trade card.

If it is stop start, you definitely don't want the negative charger terminal on the negative battery terminal but on the chassis instead.
Saves sensitive electronic stuff going pop.
And probably better buying a dedicated AGM smart charger instead like a maypole or ctek so it reads the battery and feeds it to the right level of charge.
My maypole was £23.
A decent investment lol
And no need to remove battery or code stuff, it just breathes life back into it.
Furlough lockdown battery syndrome.
The amount of batteries dying lately is horrific.

Last edited: