*flameproof jacket on* swapped my Audi for a...

silver75

Big Ron
Reaction score
smart roadster....

[URL="http://www.carpages.co.uk/smart/smart_images/smart_roadster_05_02_04.JPG"][URL="http://www.carpages.co.uk/smart/smart_images/smart_roadster_05_02_04.JPG"][/URL][/URL]
[URL="http://www.carpages.co.uk/smart/smart_images/smart_roadster_rear_05_02_04.jpg"][URL="http://www.carpages.co.uk/smart/smart_images/smart_roadster_rear_05_02_04.jpg"][/URL][/URL]
^^not my motor but mine looks identical.

Well I have been getting pretty bored of my A3 for a little while now, and I had initially planned to get a bigger car with at least 6 cylinders and preferable not FWD.

Test drove a couple of V6 Jags and Alfas, but then I spotted the little smart roadster.. had never considered one and my mind kept telling my "come off it mate its a smart car" but I decided to take it for a spin anyway..what a hoot! :redface: :redface:

Did a bit of research and decided it was the car for me, 0.7 litre 3 cylinder mid-mounted engine, 80 BHP and RWD whilst it isnt the fastest car in the world the fact that I live,work and do 90% of my driving in central London...well it just makes a lot of sense.

Picked one up with heated leather, electric windows, hood and mirrors, air con, cd, cruise control, auto lights, rain sensors, computer, flappy paddle gear box thingy all the toys basically havent stopped grinning since I bought it and the thing is so cheap to run, tax and insure (plus my residence parking permit has gone down by 50%)

The only downer is its CO2 emissions band (122g/km) whilst low is just 2 grammes from qualifying for the £35 a year road tax and from 2008 free congestion charge :( :keule:

Anyway thats it, Im gone..

Peace :cool:

Brave man.

Firstly for being different. Absolutely nothing wrong with being different.

Secondly for coming on here and telling Audi owners you have defected.

Good look to you. Not a choice I would have even thought about. If the car suits you, and it obviously does, then good on you. Have fun in it and we look forward to seeing you back in an Audi in the future when you reaslie the huge mistake you have made (only kidding :) I actually quite like the smart too).

the brabus ones were awesome. Whats the deal with SMART now anyway, I thought they were once owned by mercedes, then went bust?

So you were planning on 6 cylinders but settled for 3? Good luck with it - hope there's room for the hair dryer, scissors, crimpers, etc ;)

Good God man have you lost your marbles!?

LOL @ Lottie.

Personally I hate the look of 'smart' whether is the smart car, 4four, roadster, though never driven one so cant comment on performance.

If thats whats keeping you happy then good luck to you, though i know i'd never swap my A3 for one.

Good luck chap!

IMO they are a proper pocket-of-cool. Don't listen to anyone, if you enjoy driving it (and you will) then you'll have a fantastic time owning it.:salute:

Is there room in the thing for all those extra's or do you have to tow a trailer about?! Seriously, you might as well start wearing a red nose, entertaining at childrens parties & calling yourself Bobo!!!

marms said:
Have fun in it and we look forward to seeing you back in an Audi in the future when you reaslie the huge mistake you have made (only kidding :) I actually quite like the smart too).

LOL dont think ill be having another Audi (untill they make something small lightweight and sporty) but cheers :)

madvw said:
the brabus ones were awesome. Whats the deal with SMART now anyway, I thought they were once owned by mercedes, then went bust?

they are still going owned by Mercedes but they didnt go bust, they discontinued the roadster, and fourfour and are now only have the fourtwo. The roadster shell was picked up by Gordon Murray (mclaren F1 deseigner and big fan of small, light weight cars for those who dont know) who planned to modify and rebadge them. The Brabus look nice but performance wise there is not a lot in it. The standard roadster can be remapped to match it anyway.

ChriS3 said:
So you were planning on 6 cylinders but settled for 3?
Well actually I was planning on 8 and was going to settle for 6 but ended up with 3!! :keule:

I never planned to get the smart as i had many of the same prejudices that many of you have I just saw one and on impulse test drove it, and ****** loved it! At the end of the day I dont need a big engined car to get stopped at traffic lights every 100 yards (when the traffic is moving) or flashed by speed cameras whilst on my way to Asda or to the gym after work!! Unfortunatly I do not have the pleasure of driving on the type of roads that you and others on here enjoy

voorhees said:
Good God man have you lost your marbles!?

If you knew how much it costs just to park your car outside your house (let alone drive it) in central london you would realise I have made Smart move :cool:

Bula_82 said:
Personally I hate the look of 'smart' whether is the smart car, 4four, roadster, though never driven one so cant comment on performance.

All I can say is drive a roadster and then make up your mind, they are like marmite some love them and some hate them, most people who have driven them love them. I still love cars, Im still a "petrol head" but I also love my roadster it has totally changed the way i look at cars and motoring :shrug:

thebluebus said:
IMO they are a proper pocket-of-cool. Don't listen to anyone, if you enjoy driving it (and you will) then you'll have a fantastic time owning it.:salute:
:cool:

Yeah, like Lottie says. If you like it and it works, all the best. Although I'm guessing you're expecting a little flak judging by the thread title.

Brave move but I know what you mean with London traffic. I've opted for a bicycle and love it...home in half the time, a lot fitter than I used to be but I probably look a tit (so we have something in common. ha ha) in my lycra and silver helmet!

I only have my car because I travel out of London most weekends but if I were in your shoes, I would probably do something similar. Enjoy mate and if you're having fun, who cares what us lot think!

lol lucky there are no hills in london... i drank more milk today than that car displaces

Would prolly gone for a Fabia vRS instead but good luck anyway!

Silver, you cannot be serious!! you're having a laugh now aren't you?

Since joining this forum soom moons ago I've changed cars 4 times!!

From my great A4 2.5 TDI Quattro sport to a L200 Warrior, I wanted to run the L200 under the business to get it all tax free but this lasted around 3 months until I lost the will to drive.

From the L200 to a BMW 320D M Sport Touring cos I needed more space than a saloon A4 offered but didn't like the A4 Avants I saw around what I wanted to spend at the dealers who were willing to take the L200 in part-ex. This lasted until the engine fell apart, 4 months, due to BMW seemingly putting plastic parts inside the engine that fracture after time and go deep into the engine to really mess things up.

Then came a Honda Accord 2.2 iCDTi saloon which had split folding seats as standard along with a whole world of gadets and toys but alas 2 weeks later it just sickens me to look at it or drive it....no it does...it's plastic inside would be better off spent like the BMW plastics and blowing the useless & gutless engine up. Road noise in the Accord is just way to loud, it gives no feedback at all to the driver so you feel like you are there just so it can torment you and generally the build quality was just dire, rust on a 1 year old car from where bits of plastic had been stuck on the doors....just cr4p.

From the Honda to, from tomorrow anywayz, a 2005 A4 3.2 FSI S-line Quattro.....and it has folding seats and all the stuff I paid extra for to be put into my old A4...it has everything....like it was waiting there for just me to buy it.

So why have a rambled on about all this???? Well it's simple, no doubt we'll see Silver75 back here soon as a "born again" Audi owner.

John

G4JSG said:
So why have a rambled on about all this???? Well it's simple, no doubt we'll see Silver75 back here soon as a "born again" Audi owner.

John

You're just saying that to upset me.............!!:)

Silver have you started kissing men yet ?.........the shame the shame of it !!(theatratrical waving of hands)