Facelift FL RS3 has new brakes... again?

So I have around 700 miles on mine and the brakes have been squealing pretty much form the start, same symptoms last 2-3 miles an hour mainly noticeable is start/stop traffic. Doesn't do it straight away seems to take 3-4 miles into a journey then pretty constant, it has been getting slightly better. Anyway the dealer had it today and inspected the brakes. They told me that the brakes were glazed and need some hard braking once they had done that they were fine, they have no service bulletins about RS3 brakes (!!!) and if it happens again I just need to do some hard braking and that this is a symptom of performance brakes. I mentioned that I would be back if this continued (which I am sure it will) and on the drive home only squeaked once very slightly. I'm going to run it for a while see if things improve and do a bit of hard braking now and again. Fundamentally though it's not acceptable for brakes to squeal in this day and age I have had numerous "performance cars" from Audi, VW and BMW and never had this problem, Audi surely can't design something that needs you to hard brake to resolve for a short period of time. The car is so great though that I can forgive the odd squeal.....

Totally agree. I don’t really want to stamp on my brakes hard every few days for fear of warping the discs (as they get hot ultra quick) and pad wear will increase as they already shed loads of debris under light braking. So disappointed Audi have not resolved this on the face lift.

Don’t know if some of you new owners know, but this issue even dates back to the previous gen RS3 (8p). Totally unacceptable.

So I have around 700 miles on mine and the brakes have been squealing pretty much form the start, same symptoms last 2-3 miles an hour mainly noticeable is start/stop traffic. Doesn't do it straight away seems to take 3-4 miles into a journey then pretty constant, it has been getting slightly better. Anyway the dealer had it today and inspected the brakes. They told me that the brakes were glazed and need some hard braking once they had done that they were fine, they have no service bulletins about RS3 brakes (!!!) and if it happens again I just need to do some hard braking and that this is a symptom of performance brakes. I mentioned that I would be back if this continued (which I am sure it will) and on the drive home only squeaked once very slightly. I'm going to run it for a while see if things improve and do a bit of hard braking now and again. Fundamentally though it's not acceptable for brakes to squeal in this day and age I have had numerous "performance cars" from Audi, VW and BMW and never had this problem, Audi surely can't design something that needs you to hard brake to resolve for a short period of time. The car is so great though that I can forgive the odd squeal.....
What they have told you is complete bo11ocks. They won't be glazed or require hard braking. @Hal Adams knows exactly the cause of this and can explain it better than I can. I had some balancing weights fitted but even mine has started squealing again. Mega frustrating issue on an otherwise great car.

What they have told you is complete bo11ocks. They won't be glazed or require hard braking. @Hal Adams knows exactly the cause of this and can explain it better than I can. I had some balancing weights fitted but even mine has started squealing again. Mega frustrating issue on an otherwise great car.

Agree what they told me is absolute rubbish and they claimed not to know about any issues. Auto express are running an RS3 on their fleet for six months so will be interesting to see if they get the same issue, is they do it might be worth contacting them depending how pi**ed off I become. Would be interested to see what other owners get told when they take theirs in.

I'm not sure it is even just an RS3 or RS product issue, both my S3 and S5, squeaked, the latter was ear ripping at times!
Touch wood that with just over 1k on my RS3 now, I haven't heard a peep since new, although I am expecting it any day by reading the stuff on here, I too do very short and frequent trips.

I'm not sure it is even just an RS3 or RS product issue, both my S3 and S5, squeaked, the latter was ear ripping at times!
Touch wood that with just over 1k on my RS3 now, I haven't heard a peep since new, although I am expecting it any day by reading the stuff on here, I too do very short and frequent trips.
Yep I've had S3's with squeaking brakes too.
So far the FL is ok.
This sounds like an Audi thing rather than a specific RS3 thing.

My EBC Redstuff brakes have arrived apparently (at home) and have booked the car in for fitting tomorrow.

They mentioned sensor wires?

Will these be in the box or do I have to get them additionally?

My EBC Redstuff brakes have arrived apparently (at home) and have booked the car in for fitting tomorrow.

They should be on the pads if they are 100% compatible, which is what tells you when they are low.. if they don’t have the wires, you will have a constant warning.

FL or PFL?

Unless they have changed production in the last few months, your EBC Redstuff pads will not have sensor wires. The only way you will now be able to ascertain the pads are low and need changing, is to physically examine them periodically. Not difficult as the pad lining is quite visible through the wheel.

Assuming you are using a competent mechanic, s/he will know what to do to stop the brake warning light staying on. For info though, the brake warning light circuit is a closed loop but when the sensor in the pad is broken, the circuit is open which triggers the light. Your mechanic will/should now cut the sensor wires from the old pads, SOLDER them together and cover the joint with WATERPROOF HEATSHRINK (some will twist the wires together and wrap in insulating tape - ok for a bit after which the joint opens and you have a warning!)

I drove a FL RS3 fitted with the BREMBO brakes (latest revision discs), I gave the car hell and the brakes are better tenfold compared to the pre fl discs, was expecting the pads to completely breakdown with my driving style and leave patchy residue over the discs but they held up really well. Can't talk about the brake squeal as there was none in my unaccompanied drive, I would say the performance of the brakes is now adequate for fast road use.

Reactions: Ed_rx7, teslaboy and Rob2k68
The optimised circular (replaced wavy) as fitted to my car under warranty are infinitely better I agree in terms of performance & feel.

Plus when your hooning it at high speed you will never hear the squeal as that only creeps in at low speed low braking around town for a period of time.

Booked in for Monday - will leave it to Audi.
Will be interesting to see the difference.

You know me - engineeringly naïve - do you have to bed brakes in for a bit still or is that old school?

Booked in for Monday - will leave it to Audi.
Will be interesting to see the difference.

You know me - engineeringly naïve - do you have to bed brakes in for a bit still or is that old school?

On the 3 occasions I have had new pads & discs replaced under warranty the Audi Dealer has requested their Senior Tech take the car on a controlled (approx 3 hour drive) to bed the brakes in to a pre-written audi procedure ... I believe this involves slow braking building up to higher speed braking, there has to be certain times and no complete stops at points - some $hi7 like that anyway.

Whilst I wasn't keen on them thrashing my car for 3 hours, I did not want to say no as

a) they could throw it back in my face if I needed further warranty replacements
b) I wanted to give the new discs & pads the best chance of bedding in and not warping / squealing

On the 3 occasions I have had new pads & discs replaced under warranty the Audi Dealer has requested their Senior Tech take the car on a controlled (approx 3 hour drive) to bed the brakes in to a pre-written audi procedure ... I believe this involves slow braking building up to higher speed braking, there has to be certain times and no complete stops at points - some $hi7 like that anyway.

Whilst I wasn't keen on them thrashing my car for 3 hours, I did not want to say no as

a) they could throw it back in my face if I needed further warranty replacements
b) I wanted to give the new discs & pads the best chance of bedding in and not warping / squealing

OK, thanks, so will basically take it a bit easy for a while - that will NOT be easy :(

OK, thanks, so will basically take it a bit easy for a while - that will NOT be easy :(

Just try and build it up gradually.
I do think it is odd though that they need to bed the new brakes in, but yet nothing is said when you get the car from new ?
As long as you get circular discs fitted (not wavy) I reckon you will be fine.
The big issue is with the wavy discs - they are not up to the job IMO & have the potential to over heat and warp.
The circular discs are much thicker and heavier - so are more resistent to temperature and consequently warping (& vibration).

No. And the 'problem' is one that is quite easily fixed if only Audi would put some effort into it - and it does not involve different discs.

Just try and build it up gradually.
I do think it is odd though that they need to bed the new brakes in, but yet nothing is said when you get the car from new ?
As long as you get circular discs fitted (not wavy) I reckon you will be fine.
The big issue is with the wavy discs - they are not up to the job IMO & have the potential to over heat and warp.
The circular discs are much thicker and heavier - so are more resistent to temperature and consequently warping (& vibration).

The front discs on mine are wavy, as below. Was that not standard?
17122038 10212511869050340 1583856752 o

Yes, 'wavy' were standard. There is nothing wrong with them as a disc other than their cooling design, but are perfectly alright for driving normally within the legal limits if using pads with compatible compound. If you plan any track use, or lunatic driving on the roads, then yes, put on a set of directional discs.

Yes they are the original OEM factory fitted type discs.

But mine & many others had the wavy discs warp on them.

Then replaced with the uprated circular discs ....

IMG 3589

Ah ok. Both an independent and Audi inspected the discs - the car has done 13000 miles - and they mentioned nothing so I assume they are okay. Perhaps the previous owner was not a hooligan.
If the discs do go then I might invest in some AP. Certainly change the backs which just look awful.

I worked with Girodisc and they are releasing a rotor for the RS3. As it turns out there is a small offset difference between the TTRS and the RS3 rotor.

These are the new ones going on my car today, they should help with the high inside disk face temp.
cbb20a78869590683caf4f36dc6432bc.jpg
0a59009aa6d5993d1a9d37230b52926e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
The Girodisc takes do wonders for cooling, about a 150 degree drop in rotor temps.....

How much does they cost? The problem is still the construction for air to reach as far as in to the discs. The FL seems to have airvent holes in the frontspoiler and should have better cooling.

Hi lads new member here, for what it’s worth had the dreaded brake squeal on my PFL 3, I lasted about a week with that before swapping over to red stuff ebc, straight forward to do and the squealing disappeared. 1500 miles in now and all is good. Getting back on topic tho this isn’t good especially how much you boys are paying for the FL

Reactions: T-800
Hi lads new member here, for what it’s worth had the dreaded brake squeal on my PFL 3, I lasted about a week with that before swapping over to red stuff ebc, straight forward to do and the squealing disappeared. 1500 miles in now and all is good. Getting back on topic tho this isn’t good especially how much you boys are paying for the FL

1200 miles now in the FL and no brake squeal.

Reactions: DW81 and T-800
Had some on the 2015 RS3 but sorted it by putting on Ferodo DS performance FDS1664

Never an issue after.

If it becomes an issue on the FL then I’ll do the same again.

Reactions: DW81
1200 miles now in the FL and no brake squeal.
That's because for the first few thousand miles in an RS3 you're flooring it everywhere and not braking!

Reactions: AudiNutta and teslaboy
Had some on the 2015 RS3 but sorted it by putting on Ferodo DS performance FDS1664

Never an issue after.

If it becomes an issue on the FL then I’ll do the same again.
And invalidate your warranty T800 ;)

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and T-800
does anyone do pads for the FL yet?

Really, that’s not what I was told.....!

Really, that’s not what I was told.....!

The 8 pot caliper looks the same to me.

Only thing that’s changed are the Discs, but the Dia of them is the same.

Has whoever told you they’ve changed described the differences to you ?

If any change it would be a different compound and shim on the rear only.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I asked Aoon and he said the pads were different

How much does they cost? The problem is still the construction for air to reach as far as in to the discs. The FL seems to have airvent holes in the frontspoiler and should have better cooling.
They should be around $1100 for the pair. I had them on my stage 2 S4 and they held up very well. I know someone with a Mk2 TTRS that switched to the Girodisc rotors, his rotor temps dropped about 150 degrees with just the rotor change.

So the new RS3 got squeaking/squeeling brakes too? I just started getting this on my FL S3.

Yep mine has started too..... flipping joke!!!!!

Reactions: AudiNutta