FL rear hubs rusty

Deep penetrator

Reaction score
Nothing new I guess but my FL 6 month old RS3 is in having the rear hubs cleaned and re-painted due to rust. How many have had the same issues early on in ownership?

As I say I know it’s nothing new as my M4 and M3 have both been into BMW 3 times between the 2 of them for the same thing but fronts and rears.

Audi are also fitting my A6 jet washers for me too so that’s s bonus lol

Reactions: NevMan
My rear hubs are now completely covered in rust. Disgraceful. A combination of laziness, a suitable place to re-paint them myself, and frustration that it should be Audi doing it has meant I still haven't sorted mine. Will have to at some point though, as it's bugging me each time I walk up to the car.

Reactions: E15 and Deep penetrator
My rear hubs are now completely covered in rust. Disgraceful. A combination of laziness, a suitable place to re-paint them myself, and frustration that it should be Audi doing it has meant I still haven't sorted mine. Will have to at some point though, as it's bugging me each time I walk up to the car.

Yeah it’s not good at all.
I’m trusting Audi to paint mine today lol

There so incompetent that I’ve just had a call from the service lady asking me where’s the wheel locking nut? My reply “have you looked in the boot”? FML

Reactions: E15 and AudiNutta

There so incompetent that I’ve just had a call from the service lady asking me where’s the wheel locking nut? My reply “have you looked in the boot”? FML
Audi painted my PFL's hubs and they rusted back over within a few months!

Reactions: Deep penetrator

Yeah how about in the tool kit where it lives :blink:

Mine started rusting within 2 weeks, the dealer told me when I collected it to be prepared because it’s normal on all VAG cars.

Mine were removed and painted with a very nasty ‘ceramic’ paint that nearly had me on the floor when I smelt it, so mine are black all around now.

2 weeks old and mine rusted.

Moaned, like I do, and Audi painted them for me. This was in February and they're still good..

You watch, I'll get home and they'll be rusty as flock after yesterday as the oe intercooler can't cope with high rust levels... :glee:

Reactions: AudiNutta and Deep penetrator
Mine rusted too so I painted them myself (there is a thread somewhere with the details).

Do Audi actually prep and paint them when you guys have complained ?? My understanding is that they just spray this stuff on over the top of the rust. You can tell if they used this as it stays slightly tacky whereas paint will be dry.
ea18feaf4980027ecd1740cf7f4aac03.jpg

Mine rusted too so I painted them myself (there is a thread somewhere with the details).

Do Audi actually prep and paint them when you guys have complained ?? My understanding is that they just spray this stuff on over the top of the rust. You can tell if they used this as it stays slightly tacky whereas paint will be dry.
ea18feaf4980027ecd1740cf7f4aac03.jpg

They prepped and treated mine so they said..

Just as well cos it would be back in if they rust again, I told them..

Happily my dealer seems to have painted mines before I picked the car up from new my TTS was the same and after two years were still perfect when I traded it back in for the RS3

Plenty of people have painted their hubs.

Spray seems to offer the best finish. I have tried brush and spray versions of Hammerite. Cant comment on longevity of the spray version just yet, but the brushed version with 2 - 3 thick coats lasted several years on my previous car and was still going strong when I sold it.

See here.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/best-paint-for-rear-brake-hubs.375471/

Regds
Jungle

Well cars back and it looks like a decent job, they A6 jet washers are a vast improvement too definitely worth the £20 for them.

Reactions: FBF01, AudiNutta, Phil3 and 1 other person
I expected better from the washers having read reviews on here, they’re still not exactly a fan tyre, I’d say they’re more in the middle of a fan/jet type...

...or it might just be mine haha

I expected better from the washers having read reviews on here, they’re still not exactly a fan tyre, I’d say they’re more in the middle of a fan/jet type...

Mine are like that too, inbetweeners.. :worked till 5am:

Better than standard though. :thumbs up:

Reactions: Deep penetrator and Phil3

Not 100% fans no, but they are all pointing at the windscreen and that is a result!!!!

Not 100% fans no, but they are all pointing at the windscreen and that is a result!!!!

I’ve got one ‘fan jet’ that doesn’t haha I’ve tried them in both ways and either way there’s one that sprays off :seenoevil:

I’ve got one ‘fan jet’ that doesn’t haha I’ve tried them in both ways and either way there’s one that sprays off :seenoevil:

Really? I’d take it back, you can’t adjust it horizontally so if it isn’t on the screen then get Audi to replace.

Reactions: Phil3 and Deep penetrator
Going to be giving my hubs a redo when the weathers decent again... going black with mine I think... be either getting hammerite smooth or satin for them

Reactions: teslaboy and Deep penetrator
So I’ve managed to get both hubs on the passengers side done in hammerite satin black, 2 coats done and wheels back on this morning before the weather turned luckily :icon thumright:

E55CAC5B 4CBA 4F2B 8CBE B205CBEB044E

012A2E02 19F0 4C51 BFE7 D70724684258

Reactions: billymc92 and Deep penetrator
Finally got round to sorted the drivers side hubs out too... way better in black IMO :racer: