1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FL rear hubs rusty

penetrator Aug 6, 2018

1. penetrator

penetrator Well-Known Member

Nothing new I guess but my FL 6 month old RS3 is in having the rear hubs cleaned and re-painted due to rust. How many have had the same issues early on in ownership?

As I say I know it’s nothing new as my M4 and M3 have both been into BMW 3 times between the 2 of them for the same thing but fronts and rears.

Audi are also fitting my A6 jet washers for me too so that’s s bonus lol

q5man likes this.
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. D0C

D0C Well-Known Member Team Nardo Team Panther Audi RS3 TTRS

My rear hubs are now completely covered in rust. Disgraceful. A combination of laziness, a suitable place to re-paint them myself, and frustration that it should be Audi doing it has meant I still haven't sorted mine. Will have to at some point though, as it's bugging me each time I walk up to the car.

E15 and penetrator like this.
  4. penetrator

Yeah it’s not good at all.
    I’m trusting Audi to paint mine today lol

There so incompetent that I’ve just had a call from the service lady asking me where’s the wheel locking nut? My reply “have you looked in the boot”? FML

E15 and AudiNutta like this.
  5. D0C

D0C Well-Known Member Team Nardo Team Panther Audi RS3 TTRS

Audi painted my PFL's hubs and they rusted back over within a few months!

penetrator likes this.
  6. penetrator

Yeah I know they won’t last long but at least it will look good for the remainder of the Summer lol

7. AudiNutta

AudiNutta Well-Known Member Team Racing Blue Mica Audi RS3 quattro Sportback

Yeah how about in the tool kit where it lives :blink:

Mine started rusting within 2 weeks, the dealer told me when I collected it to be prepared because it’s normal on all VAG cars.

Mine were removed and painted with a very nasty ‘ceramic’ paint that nearly had me on the floor when I smelt it, so mine are black all around now.

penetrator likes this.
  8. E15

E15 Active Member

2 weeks old and mine rusted.

Moaned, like I do, and Audi painted them for me. This was in February and they're still good..

You watch, I'll get home and they'll be rusty as flock after yesterday as the oe intercooler can't cope with high rust levels... :glee:

AudiNutta and penetrator like this.
  9. Dan_DJT

Dan_DJT RS3 Saloon Team Floret Silver Audi RS3

Mine rusted too so I painted them myself (there is a thread somewhere with the details).

Do Audi actually prep and paint them when you guys have complained ?? My understanding is that they just spray this stuff on over the top of the rust. You can tell if they used this as it stays slightly tacky whereas paint will be dry.[​IMG]

10. E15

E15 Active Member

They prepped and treated mine so they said..

Just as well cos it would be back in if they rust again, I told them..

11. CWD

CWD New Member

Happily my dealer seems to have painted mines before I picked the car up from new my TTS was the same and after two years were still perfect when I traded it back in for the RS3

penetrator likes this.
  12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. jungle650

jungle650 Well-Known Member Team Daytona TFSI Owners Group Gold Supporter Audi RS3 quattro S tronic MQB Platform DSG

Plenty of people have painted their hubs.

Spray seems to offer the best finish. I have tried brush and spray versions of Hammerite. Cant comment on longevity of the spray version just yet, but the brushed version with 2 - 3 thick coats lasted several years on my previous car and was still going strong when I sold it.

See here.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/best-paint-for-rear-brake-hubs.375471/

Regds
    Jungle

14. penetrator

Well cars back and it looks like a decent job, they A6 jet washers are a vast improvement too definitely worth the £20 for them.

FBF01, AudiNutta, Phil3 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Phil3

Phil3 Well-Known Member Team Nardo Audi RS3 Saloon

I expected better from the washers having read reviews on here, they’re still not exactly a fan tyre, I’d say they’re more in the middle of a fan/jet type...

...or it might just be mine haha

penetrator likes this.
  16. E15

E15 Active Member

Mine are like that too, inbetweeners.. :worked till 5am:

Better than standard though. :thumbs up:

penetrator and Phil3 like this.
  17. AudiNutta

Not 100% fans no, but they are all pointing at the windscreen and that is a result!!!!

penetrator likes this.
  18. Phil3

I’ve got one ‘fan jet’ that doesn’t haha I’ve tried them in both ways and either way there’s one that sprays off :seenoevil:

penetrator likes this.
  19. AudiNutta

Really? I’d take it back, you can’t adjust it horizontally so if it isn’t on the screen then get Audi to replace.

Phil3 and penetrator like this.
  20. Phil3

Going to be giving my hubs a redo when the weathers decent again... going black with mine I think... be either getting hammerite smooth or satin for them

teslaboy and penetrator like this.
  21. Phil3

So I’ve managed to get both hubs on the passengers side done in hammerite satin black, 2 coats done and wheels back on this morning before the weather turned luckily :icon thumright:

E55CAC5B-4CBA-4F2B-8CBE-B205CBEB044E.jpeg

012A2E02-19F0-4C51-BFE7-D70724684258.jpeg

billymc92 and penetrator like this.
  22. Phil3

Finally got round to sorted the drivers side hubs out too... way better in black IMO :racer: