FL Pirelli alternatives

Neil_79

Reaction score
I’ve been following the discussions about Pirelli tyres and wear and wanted to know what alternatives people have tried on a factory staggered set-up.

I know from personal experience that the P4S is a great tyre, but it seems to cause TC issues, so I’m particularly interested to know if anyone has tried Conti Sport Contact 6’s (I know the Conti Sport Contact 5P has a R01 version but interested in the Sport Contact 6), the Goodyear F1 Assymetric 3 or any other high performance tyre.

The PS4S does not cause any more TC issues than the stock tyres already do, so long as you go square setup on them.

TC is hyperactive on these cars, its a bug in the way they programmed it if anything.

I went from stock staggered Pirelli's to SQUARE Michelin PS4S 245/35 all round, and I get arguably a little less TC activity than I used to, I also went Stage 1+ at the same time, so I also gained another 100hp or so on the car.

IF you go with Michelin PS4S but staggered 255/235 THEN you will be asking for trouble since they are bigger tyres than the pirellis'.

The stock staggered setup has a nearly 3% rolling diameter difference, which is not really too great for a Haldex car. The Square Michelin setup is 0% rolling diameter difference. There can fundamentally not be any more issues going this route than there already were previously, if anything it will be better, and I have to agree, I do think I see the TC light come on a lot less than I used to, but I can still easily trip it up if I want.

Reactions: teslaboy, Holger and Callum66
The PS4S does not cause any more TC issues than the stock tyres already do, so long as you go square setup on them.

TC is hyperactive on these cars, its a bug in the way they programmed it if anything.

I went from stock staggered Pirelli's to SQUARE Michelin PS4S 245/35 all round, and I get arguably a little less TC activity than I used to, I also went Stage 1+ at the same time, so I also gained another 100hp or so on the car.

IF you go with Michelin PS4S but staggered 255/235 THEN you will be asking for trouble since they are bigger tyres than the pirellis'.

The stock staggered setup has a nearly 3% rolling diameter difference, which is not really too great for a Haldex car. The Square Michelin setup is 0% rolling diameter difference. There can fundamentally not be any more issues going this route than there already were previously, if anything it will be better, and I have to agree, I do think I see the TC light come on a lot less than I used to, but I can still easily trip it up if I want.

Any idea about going 30 profile instead of 35 on the car? I know obviously they are 35 rear and 30 front on stock staggered set up, but doing 35 on the fronts instead of 30 means the speedo will be 3.3% too slow. So doing 60 on the speedo will actually mean I’m doing 62....keeping 30 profile all around will mean the speedo is 0.8% too fast apparently!

Any idea about going 30 profile instead of 35 on the car? I know obviously they are 35 rear and 30 front on stock staggered set up, but doing 35 on the fronts instead of 30 means the speedo will be 3.3% too slow. So doing 60 on the speedo will actually mean I’m doing 62....keeping 30 profile all around will mean the speedo is 0.8% too fast apparently!
Yeah you could. But actually 35 profile means the Speedo will in reality be more accurate. They are about 3% off already on these cars from factory. When I go past radars now it says my speed is spot on.

Yeah you could. But actually 35 profile means the Speedo will in reality be more accurate. They are about 3% off already on these cars from factory. When I go past radars now it says my speed is spot on.

You’re right, when I’m doing 78mph indicated, waze flips between 75 and 76 in reality.

And you’ve had no issues with 245/35/19 Michelin’s all around? Do you still have Tc in sport or does it behave fine?

You’re right, when I’m doing 78mph indicated, waze flips between 75 and 76 in reality.

And you’ve had no issues with 245/35/19 Michelin’s all around? Do you still have Tc in sport or does it behave fine?
I wouldn't say I have no issues, but I would definitely say I have a lot less issues. I don't see the TC light come on nearly as often for sure.

But having 500hp now means I also stick it in sport when I get on the gas pretty hard.

I really don't think the TC thing can actually be fully solved.

I wouldn't say I have no issues, but I would definitely say I have a lot less issues. I don't see the TC light come on nearly as often for sure.

But having 500hp now means I also stick it in sport when I get on the gas pretty hard.

I really don't think the TC thing can actually be fully solved.

Mine was going mad just going round a sweeping bent the other day in pirellis, no power even being appplied. That was in the soaking wet mind.

Think I’ll sort tyres out when I rinse these Pirelli’s!

Do the other have a tyre lip though to protect the rims like the Pirelli’s . Never been a fan of Pirelli tyre at all, overrated make and not much better than cheap Chinese makes. Can’t beat Michelin

Do the other have a tyre lip though to protect the rims like the Pirelli’s . Never been a fan of Pirelli tyre at all, overrated make and not much better than cheap Chinese makes. Can’t beat Michelin

On mine the sidewall with the Michelins sticks out probably 7 or 8mm. And with the sidewall being much stronger actually IMO, I think there is a bit more likelihood of protection now than there used to be.

The Pirelli's definitely saved my *** once or twice, but my wife... both times, the Pirelli's did not save her efforts. Both my front wheels are curbed by her with the stock Pirelli's. If its gonna happen aint no wheel going to save you.

In saying that, I was REALLY worried about the same thing, I now think there is better curb protection than before. Have a look for yourself.

iIkFFWv.jpg

LiFA01p.jpg

eP8UoMH.jpg

Reactions: teslaboy
I went with Mich ps4s yesterday on my pfl. Staggered set up. The P zero were awful. Havent seen the tc light yet, even booting it from first in the wet.