Facelift FL - couple of questions

Cornish1970

Reaction score
Just swapped my 2014 A3 150tdi for a new facelift S3 after 53,000 trouble free miles.

Settling down with the S3 and loging the drop in fuel consumption, oh well lets gloss over that.

I have the auto dim rear mirror acording to the paperwork but it is different than the one on the 2014 car as there is no button and tbh not sure it works, can someone drop a picture up so i can take a look to make sure mine has it.

Also, there is no fuel warning when you hit 50 miles left like on the old car as I was at 40 this morning and no warning.

Loving the S3, there are so many little changes over the 2014 car it does make a nicer car to drive.

Cheers

Fuel warning on the PFL at least is not miles left based, think it is actually a level sensor as I noticed something similar with it going below a point where it came on once before, then it came on a little while after that still

Reactions: Jassyo06
Just swapped my 2014 A3 150tdi for a new facelift S3 after 53,000 trouble free miles.

Settling down with the S3 and loging the drop in fuel consumption, oh well lets gloss over that.

I have the auto dim rear mirror acording to the paperwork but it is different than the one on the 2014 car as there is no button and tbh not sure it works, can someone drop a picture up so i can take a look to make sure mine has it.

Also, there is no fuel warning when you hit 50 miles left like on the old car as I was at 40 this morning and no warning.

Loving the S3, there are so many little changes over the 2014 car it does make a nicer car to drive.

Cheers
Not amazingly clear in this picture but having seen the FL Auto Dimming mirror the other day I can confirm that there is a small button on the bottom / underside.

*not my pic
Int mirror 2

Cheers

I also specified the auto dimming mirror and was surprised there was no button, so checked with another forum member (my good mate @CrypticMG) who ordered it on his car... he confirmed there was no button. On my 2015 TT there was a very thin square button with a small green led underneath, but looks like they've done away with it.

Are you sure you have the feature then? How do you turn it on and off?

Or you just don't have that option to switch it on and off anymore?

The new auto dimming mirror is rimless and as well as having no buttons or visible sensor, will have no switch to flick between daytime and nighttime. The mirror in the picture certainly doesn't look like ours, but as I'm enjoying my Saturday lay-in I'm not going out to photograph what we have!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: jonisginger
Are you sure you have the feature then? How do you turn it on and off?

Or you just don't have that option to switch it on and off anymore?

You don't have the option to turn it on/off any more. I think that's how it works on the exterior mirrors...

I think it's called value engineering* !!

*cost cutting

Reactions: azibux1 and Scottyg
I swapped my PFL with a modified 8W mirror which is the same as the frameless FL 8V mirror except slightly longer, and unless you have compass option, there's no button nor option to switch it off.

The way to test it is is to cover the light sensor at the back of the mirror and shine a light to the top center of the mirror where the light sensor is, and it will start dimming.

Reactions: Gordo77
Can I throw a question in here... the engine fan on mine seems to run on after you switch off the ignition and get out the car, is this normal...? This is happening after a 10-15 min journey in town.

Can I throw a question in here... the engine fan on mine seems to run on after you switch off the ignition and get out the car, is this normal...? This is happening after a 10-15 min journey in town.
Mine does it too.

Right, good... nothing to worry about? Should have said, it's only doing it for about 20 seconds after getting out the car.

Same as mine, lasts for about 20 seconds or so as well.

Mine done this as well today. Didn't last long so I didn't worry.

I think it's to cool the Turbo down.

The new auto dimming mirror is rimless and as well as having no buttons or visible sensor, will have no switch to flick between daytime and nighttime. The mirror in the picture certainly doesn't look like ours, but as I'm enjoying my Saturday lay-in I'm not going out to photograph what we have!

It looks like the picture I posted is of an interim mirror as while at ADI yesterday I noticed the A4 and Q2 have the new frameless style:

Original with button
40152 1

Interim with button
Int mirror 2

New MY17 with no buttons
A161814 large

Reactions: Jassyo06
It looks like the picture I posted is of an interim mirror as while at ADI yesterday I noticed the A4 and Q2 have the new frameless style:

Original with button
View attachment 107005

Interim with button
View attachment 107006

New MY17 with no buttons
View attachment 107008

The April '16 pre faclelift S3 I was driving until last week had mirror #2.
My new facelift S3 has mirror #3.

No button on the new one, but no loss either. In all the cars I've had with photochromatic mirrors, I don't remember turning them off once.. the newer mirror is very slender too. Looks nice.

No button on the new one, but no loss either. In all the cars I've had with photochromatic mirrors, I don't remember turning them off once.. the newer mirror is very slender too. Looks nice.
That was the very car I saw mirror #2 in :)

My mk3 TT had mirror 2 but the S3, like yours, has mirror 3. As you say, no great loss, as I never turned mine off.

Thanks for the replies.

I have mirror #3 and had a look earlier and it has the sensor as well as a band around the edge of the glass. Will have to wait until I drive home in the dark to see if it functions.

Spent a while washing, sealing and waxing the car this weekend. To all fellow Navarra Blue owners Dodo Juice Purple Haze is the stuff to have...

cheers

Thanks for the replies.

I have mirror #3 and had a look earlier and it has the sensor as well as a band around the edge of the glass. Will have to wait until I drive home in the dark to see if it functions.

Spent a while washing, sealing and waxing the car this weekend. To all fellow Navarra Blue owners Dodo Juice Purple Haze is the stuff to have...

cheers

Nice one. Dodo juice products are brilliant... I'm a big fan of Tropical Red Mist.

Had a look at the manual over the weekend, I think they definately need someone more friendly to write it.

How do you find the current engine temp on an S3 with the Boost gauge? Sure I saw it on the day I got it, but can't for the life of me get it now.

Also, can someone explain the settings for the Auto Lights? Looked at the manual expecting something relevant and it just tells me that I can select different settings.

cheers

@Cornish1970 The oil temp is on the lap timer page in the DIS (annoying i know) but you can change this with ODB/VCDS I believe to be on more of the pages.

You can change the automatic headlight sensitivity in the MMI settings to suit your preference.

Hope that helps.

How do you find the current engine temp on an S3 with the Boost gauge? Sure I saw it on the day I got it, but can't for the life of me get it now.
Also, can someone explain the settings for the Auto Lights? Looked at the manual expecting something relevant and it just tells me that I can select different settings.
cheers

To get to the oil temp - press the menu button to the right of the thumbwheel on the left of the steering wheel (three dots and lines)
a menu will appear in the DIS. scroll down to the lap timer with the thumbwheel and press it. The oil temp is the reading on the top of the display. It doesn't read until the oil is up to 50 degC. Don't cane the engine until the oil is at least 80 degC.

Switch the lights to auto and forget. The headlights will come on and off automatically as needed.

Sorry to butt in on this thread! I have mirror Number 1 - Am i able to change it to any of the other 2 mirrors? plug and play if so?
Mirror 2 should work without issue. Mirror 3? Not sure. You might need to move the wires around within your cars connector housing as the power, ground, reverse signal and interior dome lights "on" pins maybe different.

Reactions: Ormesome
Awesome cheers mate. ill check it out. Mirror 2 is so much nicer compared to the 1st (the one i have). Looks like its out of a 80's fiesta!

Awesome cheers mate. ill check it out. Mirror 2 is so much nicer compared to the 1st (the one i have). Looks like its out of a 80's fiesta!
Indeed! Auto dimming mirrors are not cheap tho, so get ready to fork out :(

Mine did this the other day too. Glad its not just mine

Reactions: Gordo77 and pburv

cheers

I take it you dont have the Virtual Cockpit? It shows all the time on it :D

Last edited: