FL Brake Pads

zaka7

Reaction score
Hi all,

My brake wear indicator came on a few days ago, I am aware I have around 1000 miles left, but don't want to risk it starting to eat into the discs too. So I am going to change them.

I got a quote from my local indy of £345 all in for the front pads (EBC Red Stuff) does anyone else have these? what do you think, or would you go with some different ones, or even stick with the OEM (I assume not on that option!)

Thoughts welcome :D

Cheers,

Hi all,

My brake wear indicator came on a few days ago, I am aware I have around 1000 miles left, but don't want to risk it starting to eat into the discs too. So I am going to change them.

I got a quote from my local indy of £345 all in for the front pads (EBC Red Stuff) does anyone else have these? what do you think, or would you go with some different ones, or even stick with the OEM (I assume not on that option!)

Cheers,

Avoid Redstuff like the plague.

Crap.

Ferodo DS performance are a decent alternative to standard pads.

Any reason? I thought most of the PFL boys said they were good?

Any reason? I thought most of the PFL boys said they were good?

I can't remember many saying they like them......:sadlike:

I had them (on my 8P) great for a while then lost all their bite, if we went anywhere that involved a few days driving away from home would end up with horrendous vibration upon braking, that only went after jet washing the discs.

A few RS3 owner friends of mine ran them, 1 owner put them on his PFL he then told me they wouldn't haul the car up properly he described approaching roundabouts as a worrying experience, so he removed them shortly after, replaced with Ferodo pads.

2nd owner had them fitted to his PFL car and while having a test drive with a mechanic friend, the friend told him to turn around and go back to the workshop, where they were removed and replaced with Ferodo items.

I wouldn't advocate them at all for any RS3 (8P/8V/8V.5)

Thank you, I will speak to my garage about the Ferodo pads as an alternative then, are they a similar price point?

Brembo HP2000 / Xtra are very good and a good price at the moment.

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/brembo/13802396

Check your disc thickness, they may be due too, my discs were worn to wear limit at 21k miles before the pads reached their limit.

Reactions: zaka7
Ordered, £230 fitted :D Which for an upgrade is A little better than the £400+ for the OEM ones or the £345 for the EBC ones.
Sounds good. I have the HP2000 in mine and they work great. Lets us know how they perform once you got them installed.

I've always used Carbotech or Pagid pads on my cars. And will do the same when the RS3 is due

I haven't had them fitted yet, just been booked in. But as they are the same brand as OEM and an upgrade I don't imagine i'll face any issues. (touch wood!)

I need to change my pads soon...tempted to go for the ds performance but I dont think you can fit the audi wear sensor to it.

I need to change my pads soon...tempted to go for the ds performance but I dont think you can fit the audi wear sensor to it.
Just changed my discs and pads and
DS performance pads fit the Audi dear sensor perfect

Reactions: Ojawed

Attachments

• 5F7A8529-9B98-4768-AE65-2D8B16092424.jpeg
    5F7A8529-9B98-4768-AE65-2D8B16092424.jpeg
    452.8 KB · Views: 228
Are they the replacement for Hp2000, or are they a new line that sits below the 'Brembo Sport' HP2000, but above the standard OEM pads they do?

Either way, for £155 a set that's not bad given OEM level Brembo pads are around £100 a set I think
Don't know, I assumed they are a replacement for HP2000

380mm? How was the fit? I'm contemplating getting a bit of a group buy together on these if others are interested, I'll take a front + rear set, on my mk2 I was offered 10% off for 5 pairs of discs in an order so would hope the same is achievable.

Reactions: Drewsus and Ojawed
380mm? How was the fit? I'm contemplating getting a bit of a group buy together on these if others are interested, I'll take a front + rear set, on my mk2 I was offered 10% off for 5 pairs of discs in an order so would hope the same is achievable.

I would be interested in a set of 370mm for front if they were included in the group buy!

I have the 380mm discs fitted with DS2500 pads that Reyland recommend to use with their discs. The cold bite is really good and the hotter the pads get the better they work - really pleased with them. I believe T-800 is running the two piece 370mm direct replacement sized discs that Reyland offer.

FL car OEM disc next to Reyland 380mm.......
IMG 0005

.....the calipers require a spacer (supplied by Reyland) to accommodate the 380mm diameter disc.
IMG 0009 passenger side

Reactions: 8YARWY

Perfect fit and at a bargain price anyway I'd say, even without a discount, although i never bothered asking to be fair.

Reyland are a small business and to my mind they supply a product at a fair price, that's already a lot cheaper than a AP disc set up (£1150)

Martin does look after people that buy the rear setup as well and any replacement discs in the future.

I'll update back next week if there's any scope for a group buy. I agree these are worth buying at full price, if Martin is busy he may not be up for it as they can be a bit of hassle and I'll just get my set in the spring. I've also asked for details on the rear caliper mod required for the rear 350mm set, anyone done this yet?

On the pads topic - I used Carbotech XP12 with phenomenal (but loud) results on my last set of Reyland discs - not ideal for a daily, they barely saw proper action, considering the Ferodo DS1.11, PFC08 up front with the new discs but they're about £700/£500 for the 8-pad sets!

I'll update back next week if there's any scope for a group buy. I agree these are worth buying at full price, if Martin is busy he may not be up for it as they can be a bit of hassle and I'll just get my set in the spring. I've also asked for details on the rear caliper mod required for the rear 350mm set, anyone done this yet?

On the pads topic - I used Carbotech XP12 with phenomenal (but loud) results on my last set of Reyland discs - not ideal for a daily, they barely saw proper action, considering the Ferodo DS1.11, PFC08 up front with the new discs but they're about £700/£500 for the 8-pad sets!

M12 hole needs thread drilling out and you need to either spot drill the area indicated or kiss them flat on the edge of a grinding wheel as the casting isn’t perfectly flat.
VAG Carrier mod

Reactions: Beebee-one and Ross_T_Boss
Hi all,

Cheers,

Hi, I tried feroddo ds2500 plus some braided lines, felt like totally different brakes, defo recommend the lines, the bite is crazy and I feel like I don't need to brake as hard to achieve sufficient levels of braking to suit my driving style. Plus I've covered almost 15k and still has plenty of life in the pads. Had them put in around Feb this year been driving continuously every day including 180 mile trips weekly and a trip to Europe. Performed faultlessly

Reactions: zaka7, Beebee-one and 8YARWY
Hi, I tried feroddo ds2500 plus some braided lines, felt like totally different brakes, defo recommend the lines, the bite is crazy and I feel like I don't need to brake as hard to achieve sufficient levels of braking to suit my driving style. Plus I've covered almost 15k and still has plenty of life in the pads. Had them put in around Feb this year been driving continuously every day including 180 mile trips weekly and a trip to Europe. Performed faultlessly

Agree about the DS2500 pads.

Together with Reyland discs they are a great upgrade.

I'm having the brembo xtra fitted today, so will let you all know, hoping for a good deal on MPS4's for black friday so i can get a set of them too! last year black circle had 25% off!

I'm having the brembo xtra fitted today, so will let you all know, hoping for a good deal on MPS4's for black friday so i can get a set of them too! last year black circle had 25% off!
Did you have the pads fitted ? How are they ?

Yep all done, not going to lie I can't tell any difference really, but I've not tested the car really yet.
If it was just front pads you changed then there wont be a huge difference as the std pads are good anyway. When you get some heat into the Brembo pads is when I found the biggest difference.

If it was just front pads you changed then there wont be a huge difference as the std pads are good anyway. When you get some heat into the Brembo pads is when I found the biggest difference.

Yeah was just the fronts, and low miles and not really very 'spirited' driving yet. But they are Brembo so i'm not expecting to have issues. The standard pads weren't too bad other than the squealing and sheer amount of brake dust.