1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

FL Brake Pads

zaka7 Oct 29, 2019

1. zaka7

zaka7 Well-Known Member Sportback Team Nardo Audi RS3 S tronic

Hi all,

My brake wear indicator came on a few days ago, I am aware I have around 1000 miles left, but don't want to risk it starting to eat into the discs too. So I am going to change them.

I got a quote from my local indy of £345 all in for the front pads (EBC Red Stuff) does anyone else have these? what do you think, or would you go with some different ones, or even stick with the OEM (I assume not on that option!)

Thoughts welcome :D

Cheers,

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. T-1000

T-1000 Active Member Team Glacier Sportback Audi RS3 5 Cylinder

Avoid Redstuff like the plague.

Ferodo DS performance are a decent alternative to standard pads.

4. Jimmgc51

Jimmgc51 Member

Avoid x 2

T-1000 likes this.
  5. zaka7

Any reason? I thought most of the PFL boys said they were good?

6. T-1000

I can't remember many saying they like them......:sadlike:

I had them (on my 8P) great for a while then lost all their bite, if we went anywhere that involved a few days driving away from home would end up with horrendous vibration upon braking, that only went after jet washing the discs.

A few RS3 owner friends of mine ran them, 1 owner put them on his PFL he then told me they wouldn't haul the car up properly he described approaching roundabouts as a worrying experience, so he removed them shortly after, replaced with Ferodo pads.

2nd owner had them fitted to his PFL car and while having a test drive with a mechanic friend, the friend told him to turn around and go back to the workshop, where they were removed and replaced with Ferodo items.

I wouldn't advocate them at all for any RS3 (8P/8V/8V.5)

7. zaka7

Thank you, I will speak to my garage about the Ferodo pads as an alternative then, are they a similar price point?

8. Dan_DJT

Dan_DJT RS3 Saloon Team Floret Silver Audi RS3

Brembo HP2000 / Xtra are very good and a good price at the moment.

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/brembo/13802396

Check your disc thickness, they may be due too, my discs were worn to wear limit at 21k miles before the pads reached their limit.

zaka7 likes this.
  9. zaka7

Are these an upgrade on the standard brakes? They're Brembo OEM aren't they?

10. Dan_DJT

11. zaka7

Thanks mate, hero!

Dan_DJT likes this.
  12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. zaka7

14. Dan_DJT

Sounds good. I have the HP2000 in mine and they work great. Lets us know how they perform once you got them installed.

15. Ja5on

Ja5on Member Team Ara Blue Audi RS3 5 Cylinder

I've always used Carbotech or Pagid pads on my cars. And will do the same when the RS3 is due

16. Ojawed

Ojawed New Member

How are you finding these pads?

17. zaka7

I haven't had them fitted yet, just been booked in. But as they are the same brand as OEM and an upgrade I don't imagine i'll face any issues. (touch wood!)

18. Ojawed

Ojawed New Member

I need to change my pads soon...tempted to go for the ds performance but I dont think you can fit the audi wear sensor to it.

19. Luc s1

Luc s1 Active Member

Just changed my discs and pads and
    DS performance pads fit the Audi dear sensor perfect

Ojawed likes this.
  20. Ojawed

Ojawed New Member

Cheers.. .what disks did you go for out of curiosity?

21. Luc s1

Luc s1 Active Member

Alcon discs

Attached Files:

22. Ojawed

Ojawed New Member

How are they over stock? I'm contemplating the reyland disks!

23. T-1000

Reyland you say......

IMG_5086.JPG

Ross_T_Boss and Ojawed like this.
  24. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Member

Are they the replacement for Hp2000, or are they a new line that sits below the 'Brembo Sport' HP2000, but above the standard OEM pads they do?

Either way, for £155 a set that's not bad given OEM level Brembo pads are around £100 a set I think

25. Dan_DJT

Don't know, I assumed they are a replacement for HP2000

26. Ojawed

Ojawed New Member

How easy/difficult where they to fit over stock?

27. T-1000

A Doddle.

Just gotta take the caliper off.

Ojawed likes this.
  28. Ross_T_Boss

Ross_T_Boss Member

380mm? How was the fit? I'm contemplating getting a bit of a group buy together on these if others are interested, I'll take a front + rear set, on my mk2 I was offered 10% off for 5 pairs of discs in an order so would hope the same is achievable.

Drewsus and Ojawed like this.
  29. Ojawed

Ojawed New Member

I would be interested in a set of 370mm for front if they were included in the group buy!

30. Beebee-one

Beebee-one Well-Known Member Team Glacier Audi RS3

I have the 380mm discs fitted with DS2500 pads that Reyland recommend to use with their discs. The cold bite is really good and the hotter the pads get the better they work - really pleased with them. I believe T-800 is running the two piece 370mm direct replacement sized discs that Reyland offer.

FL car OEM disc next to Reyland 380mm.......
    IMG_0005.jpg

.....the calipers require a spacer (supplied by Reyland) to accommodate the 380mm diameter disc.
    IMG_0009 passenger side.jpg

T-1000 likes this.
  31. T-1000

Perfect fit and at a bargain price anyway I'd say, even without a discount, although i never bothered asking to be fair.

Reyland are a small business and to my mind they supply a product at a fair price, that's already a lot cheaper than a AP disc set up (£1150)

Martin does look after people that buy the rear setup as well and any replacement discs in the future.

32. Ross_T_Boss

Ross_T_Boss Member

I'll update back next week if there's any scope for a group buy. I agree these are worth buying at full price, if Martin is busy he may not be up for it as they can be a bit of hassle and I'll just get my set in the spring. I've also asked for details on the rear caliper mod required for the rear 350mm set, anyone done this yet?

On the pads topic - I used Carbotech XP12 with phenomenal (but loud) results on my last set of Reyland discs - not ideal for a daily, they barely saw proper action, considering the Ferodo DS1.11, PFC08 up front with the new discs but they're about £700/£500 for the 8-pad sets!

33. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

34. T-1000

M12 hole needs thread drilling out and you need to either spot drill the area indicated or kiss them flat on the edge of a grinding wheel as the casting isn’t perfectly flat. VAG Carrier mod.jpg

Beebee-one and Ross_T_Boss like this.
  35. Tristan

Tristan Member

Hi, I tried feroddo ds2500 plus some braided lines, felt like totally different brakes, defo recommend the lines, the bite is crazy and I feel like I don't need to brake as hard to achieve sufficient levels of braking to suit my driving style. Plus I've covered almost 15k and still has plenty of life in the pads. Had them put in around Feb this year been driving continuously every day including 180 mile trips weekly and a trip to Europe. Performed faultlessly

zaka7, Beebee-one and T-1000 like this.
  36. T-1000

Agree about the DS2500 pads.

Together with Reyland discs they are a great upgrade.

37. zaka7

I'm having the brembo xtra fitted today, so will let you all know, hoping for a good deal on MPS4's for black friday so i can get a set of them too! last year black circle had 25% off!

38. Dan_DJT

Did you have the pads fitted ? How are they ?

39. zaka7

Yep all done, not going to lie I can't tell any difference really, but I've not tested the car really yet.

40. Dan_DJT

If it was just front pads you changed then there wont be a huge difference as the std pads are good anyway. When you get some heat into the Brembo pads is when I found the biggest difference.

41. zaka7

Yeah was just the fronts, and low miles and not really very 'spirited' driving yet. But they are Brembo so i'm not expecting to have issues. The standard pads weren't too bad other than the squealing and sheer amount of brake dust.