FL Airbox flap mod + Revo stage 1

Michael150

Reaction score
Hi guys, new owner here...……………..

I got my 2018 RS3 a few weeks ago and after having a Revo'd 2015 S3 I knew I'd have to get the RS3 done as it felt no faster standard! I'm in N.Ireland so our options are limited and so is our fuel, 97ron is the maximum you can buy and its hard to get so while I do run the car on 97ron I got it mapped for 95ron. Have to say the staged cold red line from 4750 is great gradually increasing to maximum when the oil temperature gets to 65deg.

I then decided to have a look at the air intake to find the OE paper filter really dirty after 23000 miles of service.

On opening the airbox I was puzzled by the walled section in the box and a flap intake leading into it directed at the turbo. The filter and box were really dusty so cleaned them both first.

Thought I'd do some testing on the flap...………...

With use of a heat gun and a freezer it seems the flap opens when it gets to freezing and shuts when it gets to 5deg or more though its slow to react, quite an ingenious bit in an airbox. The flap is really only useful in very cold climates or in cases where snow blocks the rest of the filter so I decided to break a section out of the wall as this area of the airbox is redundant when its warm so reducing the effective air filter area by 25%. I believe the aftermarket filters fix this as they have less depth then the OE one and so sit above the wall.

I studied the Eventuri carbon intake but its a big amount of money at £1200 what I think would be little gain, looks ace though.

I then went and ordered a BMC filter as that's what MRC recommend :thumbs up:

Last edited:
Reactions: jimojameso
Old & new........

20191205 165149

20191205 165244

Reactions: hawesy25, grainqey, jimojameso and 1 other person
I live in NI as well and thinking of zn 034 intake system. The filter is open t o the elements and I'm not sure if that's a good thing. But, as I hope to get an MRC stage 1 ecu and tcu tune next year I will have to do something. Would you suggest the simple paper filter swap?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Michael150
Hi seventeenapg

Be nice to compare standard with Revo.

TBH I don't think the intake is worth it at all until you get to stage 3. At stage 1 the element change is worth 5hp for £60 and a full intake is a 10hp gain for a £1000 or so outlay. A full carbon intake is a beautiful thing but doesn't make financial sense.

Reactions: seventeenapg
I believe the only 2 worth having are the IE intake or the Unitronic one. I wish the above would be made without carbon fibre to save massively on costs.

Reactions: seventeenapg and Michael150
Hi seventeenapg

Be nice to compare standard with Revo.

TBH I don't think the intake is worth it at all until you get to stage 3. At stage 1 the element change is worth 5hp for £60 and a full intake is a 10hp gain for a £1000 or so outlay. A full carbon intake is a beautiful thing but doesn't make financial sense.
Absolutely right. In the head it just doesn't make sense. But a joy to to look at nevertheless. For now I think I will just get the paper replacement.

I believe the only 2 worth having are the IE intake or the Unitronic one. I wish the above would be made without carbon fibre to save massively on costs.
Yes, a non carbon option would make a great alternative. My RS has no carbon trim anywhere so a non carbon Air intake would be preferable in my case.

I wanted non-carbon too, I'm really not bothered about looks in the engine bay. The justification I've heard is that "non-carbon only" wasn't an option as many people do want it so would cost them sales, and it wasn't worth doing both as the moulding R&D costs on the limited run numbers would have meant it retailed for the same price anyway. So they kept it simple. I ended up with the IE.

I can't find good data to compare the "modded airbox and rear tube) upgrade to a full intake. I have my own though and stock to IE was substantial. But at Stage1 it wasn't actually faster, just allowed the turbo to make full boost with a much lower pressure ratio which was easy to measure. So if it's about cost, these mods are ideal to get most of the gain for small cost, but stage 2 maps assume a good intake and running without one is worth a fair chunk of power. If i can find someone to swap over with, I'd like to log again with the stock airbox and forge/HG rear pipe to see where that sits. I bet for 1/10th the cost it gives at least half the gain.

Hi guys, new owner here...……………..

I got my 2018 RS3 a few weeks ago and after having a Revo'd 2015 S3 I knew I'd have to get the RS3 done as it felt no faster standard! I'm in N.Ireland so our options are limited and so is our fuel, 97ron is the maximum you can buy and its hard to get so while I do run the car on 97ron I got it mapped for 95ron. Have to say the staged cold red line from 4750 is great gradually increasing to maximum when the oil temperature gets to 65deg.

I then decided to have a look at the air intake to find the OE paper filter really dirty after 23000 miles of service.

On opening the airbox I was puzzled by the walled section in the box and a flap intake leading into it directed at the turbo. The filter and box were really dusty so cleaned them both first.

Thought I'd do some testing on the flap...………...

With use of a heat gun and a freezer it seems the flap opens when it gets to freezing and shuts when it gets to 5deg or more though its slow to react, quite an ingenious bit in an airbox. The flap is really only useful in very cold climates or in cases where snow blocks the rest of the filter so I decided to break a section out of the wall as this area of the airbox is redundant when its warm so reducing the effective air filter area by 25%. I believe the aftermarket filters fix this as they have less depth then the OE one and so sit above the wall.

I studied the Eventuri carbon intake but its a big amount of money at £1200 what I think would be little gain, looks ace though.

I then went and ordered a BMC filter as that's what MRC recommend :thumbs up:

I have a 2019 RS3 with a Stage 1 APR ECU and APR TCU tune. I also removed the snow baffle and have a K&N panel filter on order. Do you notice any difference in performance, throttle response or induction noise with this simple DIY mod. I think I hear more air sucking noise and my butt dyno feels a little bit better performance. It may be just the placebo effect but I’ll take it!

I have a 2019 RS3 with a Stage 1 APR ECU and APR TCU tune. I also removed the snow baffle and have a K&N panel filter on order. Do you notice any difference in performance, throttle response or induction noise with this simple DIY mod. I think I hear more air sucking noise and my butt dyno feels a little bit better performance. It may be just the placebo effect but I’ll take it!
Is the baffle easy to remove?

I didn't notice any difference but its bound to make a bit on a dyno.

If you do remove it you should plug the intake on the back of the box as otherwise it will constantly be sucking in warm air from near the turbo. That's why I just cut a big section out of the dividing wall.

If you do remove it you should plug the intake on the back of the box as otherwise it will constantly be sucking in warm air from near the turbo. That's why I just cut a big section out of the dividing wall.
Hsvnt taken mine off yet but will understand your comments when I do. Have been looking got the bmc filter but can't find one to order. Cud you send a link?

What did you use to plug the hole? I’m looking for a plastic tapered plug that I can wedge in there. The dividing wall already has several large holes.

If you remove the whole assembly the intake hole at the back will be open.

I would just break a bit out of the wall or buy an shallower aftermarket filter and then it will sit above the wall.

Anyway.......... Just SOLD my RS3 and am back driving my 2015 stage 1 S3 that I've owned for a year, I wasn't convinced the RS3 was worth the money. It is better than an S3 but not by 10 grand imo.

I removed the snow baffle, replaced the OEM filter with a high flow K&N filter and plugged the hole with a premium rubber, tapered, heat-resistant plug that fits perfect and is very snug. You can buy the plug at Amazon. I think I used the number 8 plug.

Amazon product

I removed the snow baffle, replaced the OEM filter with a high flow K&N filter and plugged the hole with a premium rubber, tapered, heat-resistant plug that fits perfect and is very snug. You can buy the plug at Amazon. I think I used the number 8 plug.

Amazon product

Hi,
Im doing this mod now. I ordered a new pipe from HG Motorsport in Germany and it has arrived. I also have a new BMC filter panel. Im going to remove the auto flap mechanism bit I , like you, need to fill the resulting hole. CAn you let me know about the Amazon plug that you ordered?
Appreciated.....